Rajaharshad

My Ford Figo ownership review

Took delivery of my FIGO Titanium TDCi on May 6th and so far have driven 6k kms and the experience is a mixed bag.

MY ORIGINAL REQUIREMENTS

I had an Indica for 3 years and had driven 60k kms. My experience was very pleasant.I also have a Ritz Zxi and a Santro in my stable.

I was looking for sedan (Dzire vs manza) upto a max of 7 lakhs. My drive takes me atleast 3k kms a month and obviously I was looking only for a diesel car. My main criteria was (priority in th order of listing)

1.     VFM

2.     Adequate safety features (for high speed driving)

3.     Comfort (on all seats)

4.     Good handling

5.     Decent service network (I strongly believe that Maruti is not the best from my previous experiences)

After a lot of test drives, could not conclude on the Manza and the Dzire had a long waiting period.

ENTER the hatchback bonanza.

Beat..... Polo ...... Figo .... and still continues

Beat was ruled out and Polo was not VFM. My first sights on Figo impressed me. I am not too bothered by the styling.

DEALERSHIP EXPERIENCE

I made my booking in Chennai on March 25th. Ford dealers have not handled such volumes in the past and were definitely not up to the mark in handling long queues of unsatisfied and prospective customers. Had to wait for more than 45 days to get delivery.

INSIDE THE CAR

What I like?

1.     Good all round build (remember I had an Indica before)

2.     Interior space (better than swift but not as big as Vista)[five full sized adults adding to more than 400 kgs travelled from Bangalore to Chennai in decent comfort]

3.     Front seats have good under thigh support

4.     Seat height adjustment has lots of travel

5.     Rear seat back support and bench is good

6.     Big boot for a hatchback.

7.     OE Audio gives decent output and the Bluetooth pairing with my cell phone is absolutely fine

8.     I liked the all black dash with silver borders

That's Really a Good looking Figo in White with Killer Black Alloys(smiley27.gif), of one more Happy Figo Owner..

You've Really maintained your Figo well even while staying in the Trafficky Chennai conditions. smiley20.gif

Congrats for your excellent choice. Figo is the best practical hatch one can get for the price its offered. And Figo does really looks good with these alloys, good choice.

Yesterday i saw a Grey & chill Figo with Fiesta's platinum edition's alloys and that too was looking nice.

Congratulation Rajaharshad on the new Figo Titanium TDCi. It is the best diesel hatch available today with balanced features and performance. The alloys with bridgestone turanza looks cool.

An advice : For the first 3000km or so, please do not clock speeds over 100kmph. Keep it around 80kmph as your top speed. Let the engine free up a bit, for best results.

I am thinking of tuning up my car's ECU.

Technical experts-please tell me if its advisable to do this (other than the warranty issues).

I also do not understand why the car manufacturers are not able to produce the amount of output that the TUNERS are raving about?

Practically Its not advisable to Tinker with a Car's ECU.

Car Manufacturers usually launch/Introduce their products with ECU, Engine tuning settings which are generally suited to the Owners demands, Country conditions & for Product's Suitability.

And Introducing the products in Higher Stage of Tune will probably affects their Long Term Reliabilty & its life-span & off-course Fuel efficiency demanding Owners' demands..  
dr_nishu2010-07-21 20:17:24

At least wait for the warranty period to get over. Do not mess with warranty, you do not know when you might just need it.

Later you can contact Petes/Tunit to get an aftermarket chip. Pete's got chips for diesel engines too.

Figo D is not a naturally aspirated' date=' so IMHO, power can be increased considerably.

[/quote']

Sorry, did not realise that we were dealing with Diesels. I would say, wait for Pete's magic box!

why wait...the pete's box for figo is already available....the figo shares the engine with fiesta and fiesta one is available...so take that one and plonk it in your car...the cra's power will go up to 85 bhp !!!!

the cra's power will go up to 85 bhp !!!!

IMO, There must be some Cons of the Pete's box too !!

As how much Over power power a 68PS Engine parts, Gearbox & Drivetrain parts can handle ! Max of 5-10 PS more but not that In the reigon of 15-20 PS.

Please Reveal the Actual Truth all ACIans.

What Pete says is that every engine has a 20-30% margin, and his system just releases 10% or so of it. It is possible that the same engine + drivetrain are in a higher state of tune in some other vehicle, and there should not be much of an issue. Most responsible (reputed)  ECU remaps remain within the limits of safety.

Pete's uses PSI technology from Belgium so if you book over the net it might be cheaper but you will have hassles and waiting time of a month or so but you can save 5k on  it. You can also try other boxes but ask the dealer about their warrenty of the box etc.

In the July issue of ACI magazine, I read about KIIRUS ECU tuning for a punto. The review was very positive. I spoke to the gentleman as KIIRUS and they said that they will not install any box and retune the existing ECU in the car.

The results expected as as below

Original          Kiirus tuned

Power (hp)               68 hp           88 hp

Power (kW)               50 kW           65 kW

Torque (ft/lb)               118 ft/lb      148 ft/lb

Torque (NM)               160 NM      200 NM

Fuel consum. Highway     62 mpg (3,8l / 100km)      64 mpg (3,7l / 100km)

Fuel consum. Combined     53 mpg (4,4l / 100km)      55 mpg (4,3l / 100km)

Fuel consum. City     44 mpg (5,4l / 100km)      44 mpg (5,3l / 100km)

The price quotes was 20k. PETES charges are 43k for a Ford 1.4

Kirus is a remap, so you will not be able to masquerade or hide it. The remap is for good. I guess the vendor can remap it back. However, this could be a more effective than an add on box which fools the ECU.