arkboypunk1

Used Accent CRDi. a good choice?or WagonR instead?

We might require a used car in the next one or two weeks, to be used in a dusty town, along with considerable highway runs for 8 months. The total distance it will cover for 8 months from purchase will be ~ 18000 km. ie. - 60km/day, monthly 400km trip. The vehicle will be owned by my grandpa, and will be driven either by him or by a driver for 8 monthsp After the period of 8 months, the usage will considerably reduce to < 25 km a day, and in case we'd got a driver in those 8 months, his services will be terminated. We initially had a budget of Rs 2.5 lakh and were eyeing the WagonR and Getz, but my grampa wants a diesel car, and a car that wll somewhat look like something that suits our status, so the Accent CRDi joined the list. We are interested in 2003-2005 CRDis run about 40 - 50 grand Km. for Rs 3-3.5 lakh. What are the pros and cons of a used Accent CRDi?

Is it wiser to go in for a WagonR? Please advise.arkboypunk12010-08-13 11:51:23

We might require a used car in the next one or two weeks' date=' to be used in a dusty town, along with considerable highway runs for 8 months. The total distance it will cover for 8 months from purchase will be ~ 18000 km. ie. - 60km/day, monthly 400km trip. The vehicle will be owned by my grandpa, and will be driven either by him or by a driver for 8 monthsp After the period of 8 months, the usage will considerably reduce to < 25 km a day, and in case we'd got a driver in those 8 months, his services will be terminated. We initially had a budget of Rs 2.5 lakh and were eyeing the WagonR and Getz, but my grampa wants a diesel car, and a car that wll somewhat look like something that suits our status, so the Accent CRDi joined the list. We are interested in 2003-2005 CRDis run about 40 - 50 grand Km. for Rs 3-3.5 lakh. What are the pros and cons of a used Accent CRDi?

Is it wiser to go in for a WagonR? Please advise.[/quote']

I think the Accent CRDi is a very good car going by feedbacks.

Firstly, its resale value does not depreciate like other diesels viz. the Ikon, Fiesta or the Chevrolet Optra.Resale value is the first indicator for the popularity and demand for any car.

Secondly, its extremely economical on fuel.

Thirdly, the spares are affordable if not cheap.

Fourthly, its a very tough work horse.

On the minus side the engine is a three cylinder which has some more clatter and feels jerky reminding you all the time that you are seated on a car with a 3 cylinder engine.

Another point of caution is that a well maintained and sparingly used Accent CRDi may be too tough to find. Diesels are meant to run and are many a time chauffeur driven, which adds to the list of miseries.

Our friend FRG (Manish) used a CRDi for some five years and had many good things to say about the car.He rarely complained about the car.I think there may be posts about his Accent on the forum which Arkin , you may please search.

As regards the dusty runs, the CRDi engines don't complain, but be careful about changing the air and oil filters sooner than recommended and also the engine oil which gets worse earlier, under dusty conditions.

So these three items are needed to be monitored to cope up with the dust.

Thank you Anjan. Your post came as a breather. We shall keep these in mind. I shall ask Manish via Facebook for more info. From what you have said, the Accent seems to fit our usage for the next 8 months and beyond perfectly.

Is there any difference in the prices of used Accents and used Vivas? And other than the boot and slightly higher FE of the Viva, is there any considerable difference?

Guys,

I have heard in many places about many Accent CRDIs needing engine overhaul as early as 75,000km. Which costs almost 75k. Though rate is reasonable, the lower life seems to be point of concern.

By the way, if the running will not be very much, why don't consider Accent 1.5lit Petrol, preferably with LPG/CNG option depending on availability?

We have started searching for a used CRDi. We called used car showrooms, including Mahindra 1st choice and Hyundai Pre-owned, but to no avail. We went to Forum Mall, Koramangala. While having sugarcane juice, I saw a used car dealership " Forum used card"

at a distance. We went there, and they offered us an Accent Viva 2005 Model 52000km done for quoted price Rs 3.75 lakh, nego.. Searching for more cars now.

@ark,

Initially the Accent CRDi's were having Over-Heating Troubles but I'm not sure as which year's batch were having that problems !

Even read about that problem in any Auto Mag too.

Plus It also needs early Over-Hauling, even Elantra needs OH aroung 1.1-1.2lac kms & its spare parts are Costly & are also Sparsely available.

So, better Is to leave it..

Instead, Look for some high FE delivering Petrol hatchback, even W-R is having Good FE on both City & Highways(my friend is getting 18-19kmpl on them). 

At least it won't give us as many problems as the Premier Padmini, will it? We have been offered cars, with mileages ranging from 48000km to 80000km. I feel the upper limit is best avoided, looking at the comments by Bala, Nish and info from other sources. Something done around 50000km should not be a worry, as per my research.

For your budget' date=' try for a decently maintained OHC. Even I was hunting for the same. I got to see 2 good looking cars, but just missed. You try your luck.[/quote'] My grandfather is bound to say no. Maintenance in a small, dusty town is an issue. So is FE. Thanks anyway.

I would be inclined to go with bala. Two reasons - City MkI has been remarkably free of maintenance issues. My cousin in Mumbai has one with over 125k on the clock, and still in near impeccable shape, with almost zero maintenance issues. The CRDi you get is likely to have been caned and is far more likely to have maintenance problems.

I would be inclined to go with bala. Two reasons - City MkI has been remarkably free of maintenance issues.

I understand sir' date=' we would love owning a honda, but AFAIK there is no Honda service station in the town where my grandfather lives. Will it be ok to get it serviced at some local place then?

BTW, my grandfather's neighbour has a Jazz, I will ask mt Grandpa to ask him where he gets his Jazz serviced, and then get back here.

Another priblem is that, my grandpa has pains and stuff, so it ingress/egress might not be so easy.

My cousin in Mumbai has one with over 125k on the clock, and still in near impeccable shape, with almost zero maintenance issues. The CRDi you get is likely to have been caned and is far more likely to have maintenance problems.

I've heard of all this sir, and I too am genuinely worried.

We have been offered a couple of Vivas, done around 50000km. If the service records are fine and during the inspection with our driver and mechanic, no loophole is found, is there still a probability of problems occuring?

Instead of all this, is the Wagon R a better choice, considering perfect ingress-egress, driving position for my grandpa, easier maintenance and such? arkboypunk12010-08-17 06:37:14

Hey, if you are going to keep your car for longer years, say 3-5, forget used Accent- Crdi. It will be more painful to maintain and maintenance will be more costly than the savings you do in diesel. As your usage after 8 months are less, prefer to go for petrol. Further, Accent CRDi is discontinued a long back and after 3-5 years down the line, it will not fetch much resale. So overall it will be a costly ownership experience. Ingres and angress will be painful too, due to it;s low-slung construction. The best option is still Wagon-r for sheer practicality and low cost of ownership and best rear suspension and Getz for status, if you all are convinced. All the best.

arkboypunk1

Don't go for Accent CRDI, my friend had taken a 50K Kms + used car(inspite of our advise) & has landed into trouble after driving 25k Kms. The car engine had to be rebored, pistons replaced etc etc works.

Go for Wagon R. I have a Wagon R 2001 model car which is still running in good condition after 9 years & 1 Lakh kms.

Thanks for all the advice. I shall convey this to my grandpa. The WagonR seems a better option. BTW, we have a 2009 Tata Indigo. Is a used Tata Indigo a good option?

**EDIT**

I just spoke to my grandfather, and he has agreed to TD the WagonR in the afternoon. A brand new wagonr seems the best option.arkboypunk12010-08-17 08:05:50

We have changed our mind now, and are looking at either a brand new WagonR LXi (VXi waiting period too long) or an i10 iRDE Era/Magna. Can someone please tell me how long is the waiting period for the i10?

Hi, I-10 1.2 is better overall car, however if you are too concerned about f.e. Wagon-r will be better choice. The rear seat is bit bumpy in I-10, so if your grandpa is going to seat in back seat better opt for wagon-r. Waiting period defers from city to city, so best try at your location and check at different dealerships.. All the best.

Go for New Wagon-R if you want the Brand new car or Go for the Old-Estilo with 1.1l engine if you wants the used one as the the Latter comes quite cheap in the Used markets & is pretty frugal too with FE of around 20+ kmpl on Highways(her owner told me yesterday) & its Front seats are also very comfortable.

Leave i10 iRDE as its relatively less FE too And Hyundai might discontinue after their speculated launch of 1.0l kappa motor around this Diwali.

Is a used Tata Indigo a good option?

Avoid it..

Nothing remains left in the used Indica/Indigo to drive & enjoy.

What remains left in it is the Maintenance needing bits.

Go for New Wagon-R if you want the Brand new car or Go for the Old-Estilo with 1.1l engine if you wants the used one as the the Latter comes quite cheap in the Used markets & is pretty frugal too with FE of around 20+ kmpl on Highways(her owner told me yesterday) & its Front seats are also very comfortable.

Leave i10 iRDE as its relatively less FE too And Hyundai might discontinue after their speculated launch of 1.0l kappa motor around this Diwali.

Is a used Tata Indigo a good option?

Avoid it..

Nothing remains left in the used Indica/Indigo to drive & enjoy.

What remains left in it is the Maintenance needing bits.

True a second hand Indigo will prove problematic.It lacked finesse with the old Tata engine even when new and one can expect nightmares with old ones.

Wagon R or the Santro are very good as they are quite OK for elderly persons.