Its roughly 10,000 pounds in the UK translates to roughly 7 L and with a 100% import duty plus other things must come upto 17-18 L otr. Just think of the number of things you can do with that kind of money; unless someone is gifting it, well then go ahead and standout from the crowd.

?10k translates to about $10k taking into account the UK taxation, etc. As it is under $40k it will have to be homologated, i.e. approved by the ARAI etc. Virtually impossible.

a dealer i know has a 2007 toyota MRS , 1.8 140 PS , when i asked him how was the import possible , he said they directly import the car and when the car does not tick all criterias they have to pay fine (some % on original value) apart from import duty, to get it in the country. or they can apply for special permission from DGFT<< long proceedure

But do u think importing a Toyota IQ is worth all the trouble ? Why not buy a Smart ? u can buy a second hand from mumbai.

Thanks everyone. Makes sense to buy a 500 or better still a Beetle as suggested designersf. But I think its a Merc compared to the Nano in the small car category and just wish that toyota get atleast a limited edition for Bharat. :)

@Neelabh:

Toyota IQ seems to be a senseless option if you consider an import,though if you like the car then as suggested by Sarabjeet,get one second-hand from mumbai,else 500 and Beetle are for you any day.

Toyota has now released pricing and specifications for iQ.

Now we can expect this car to come to India with a slightly longer wheelbase and detuned engine. Lets hope that this car makes here in 2008. With the sales of Toyota falling in very critical N.American market, they will be mad if iQ doesnt make it into India.

65 Miles or 105 KM is good for the average commuter, however i think they should of added a gasoline powered generator just like what the Chevrolet Volt has and will get people who need more of a range than 65 miles into the EV iQ.

I can see myself in the EV iQ since i travel about 70-80 KM's a day give or take. But i do exceed 100 KM's so having a gas generator will be a big plus to me.

Too bad we in USA might have to wait a bit longer to get the iQ than those in Europe.