gegonbones

Alto K10 vs A-star Lxi vs i10 era

hi guys my budget is under 4 lacs planning on a new hatch....so considering the above 3.....imp points wic to be considered is:

1. i drive usually on highway most of time fast :-)  most of time alone or max 2 so space not an issue....

2. im not sure abot hyundai breakdown service.....maruti is defi reliable

3. resale value.....im worried about resale value of A-star dropping fast...

4. is a diesel A-star comg.....heard alt of gossip on tat?

I felt the A- star Lxi was the best....in terms of ride quality, mileage, built quality

no doubts K10 wil defi give a better mileage but.....A- star feels more solid

Thread moved.

Note from Mod: Most of you posts show the usage of sms lingo & ".....", this practice is not allowed on the board. You are advised to go through the board rules before moving ahead.

A star is the best car of the lot for the driving pleasure it gives and yes the resale value will be less as it doesn't have that much success in the market .Try to go in for the Zxi model though .

Or else there is nothing like the Alto K10 whose power to weight ratio is excellent but opt for grippier tyres as soon as you buy it (it you did).

IMHO, among the one's you have shortlisted, i10 should be the most practical one as you are doing mostly highway travel. The tyres in i10 are also skinny, and you may go for replacement.

Looking at your requirements of basically highway use, I think you could also look at Ford Figo(safer than the rest three, which you have shortlisted), or else the Micra, which is coming with a driver airbag standard.

To be very honest none of the cars you selected are too good for highways. Secondly nowadays you do not have to worry about breakdown on highways for a new car whosoever manufactures it.

For driving fast and safe on highways, you need a 1.2motor with some basic highway compatible features like good stability, good handling, wider tyres, good road presence and strong headlights etc etc. (keeping aside important stuffs like ABS)

The cars you can choose is WagonR Vxi, Ford Figo petrol (not the best of petrols but highway factor is just too good) , Indica Vista petrol and Indigo CS petrol.

I know these cars are not the best selling petrols in the 4L bracket but for major Highway travels these are suitable. On highways FE delivered is decent for most cars. So I guess that should not be a worry. 

i test drove the Ford Figo Petrol recently. Found it way underpowered, i didn't like the maroon interiors as well. I don't know who in the world would imagine maroon interiors for a carsmiley17.gif. The diesel version is fine as far as power goes, but its way above my budget.

i think i'll settle for either the A-star or Alto K10

The maroon interiors are an option. You can settle for other interior colors as well. Full black is also available.

WagonR/Astar is better than Alto K10 any day. Also you get optional ABS in WagonR/Astar.

If you are settled with your choices and not ready to reconsider then i10 is the best bet. Not Astar or Alto K10

Strictly from your choice, I advice you to go for A-Star LXi over;

-Alto K10, because A* is more Wider, having better Track, Weight, etc hence More Stable than Alto K10M, which isn't meant for Highways, especially for High Speeds.

Also A* is having slightly Higher Ride Height than Alto K10, so you'll get better & Confident view of the Road Ahead.

Over i10 Era, because the latter is a Family-Oriented car, so is her Ride height looks, etc. So at the End your might get disappointed if you wants her to drive spiritedly.

My Vote goes to A-Star..

Also it's mere 1kmpl behing in ARAI fuel efficiency figures of ALTO K10, at the cost of Safety & Driving Pleasure & being a Maruti Suzuki you might loose not that much as compared to other branded cars in Re-Sale value terms.

Also very lucurative offers/discount schemes are going on for A* these days.

So at the End you'll be Tempted after buying that.

For Ownership experience & other queries, please do contact A-Star owner & Forum member Mr.Spock on this thread & by PM-ing him.

Given what you have said, I would suggest you to wait until November and go in for the i10 Era 1.0, which will come with the 1000cc version of the Kappa Engine, which makes perfect value and is pretty sensible.

If not, the A-Star seems good enough, since it will have just 2 to ferry around.