sarabjeet

Sarabs Car World

You lucky man, you! Congrats!

I say cherish a suprised like this. Not many people have the luxury of receiving such wonderful suprises.

I remember getting one when my dad bought the Accent back in 2001. He handed me the keys. I rushed out thinking we got a Santro to replce the Zen but it turned out to be an Accent.

The other day i took out the beemer for a short drive and there was this thud thud sound coming fromt the front right end

Called up dad as he had taking the car out the previous day and told him about the issue , he said he noticed the sound but ignored it (lemme tell you in a BMW u can count the number of bumps you have gone throw) so dad ignored it as just another sound.

took the car to Infinity BMW (chembur) just behind me house and he told me that the front right side suspension needs to be changed , and the left one is also weak.

He told me that since these are gas shock-ups a minor leak/damage can lead to suspension failure. That is what happened .

I was shocked that at 40K KM the front suspensions can give up so easily , the rear where fine and would do till another 20k KM.

Service advisor at Infinity gave me a quoatation of Rs. 86k inc tax for the suspensions and labour charges extra , he said round about 1 lakh to be the estimated cost and it would take atleast 2 weeks for the part to arrive .

Silence is all the answer he got from me , called up dad and told him , dad told me to bring back the car . So it told service guy at infinity that give me time to think over it.

Dad called up few of his friends and we had a solution.

One of his friends know a guy in Dubai who imports parts for Jaguars, Lexus and all imports , he told me that the front suspension would cost round about Rs.36k and 12k as shipping charges + forex charges + local taxes(indian) (No import duty as CBU/CKD car owners are allowed to import spare parts without duty till a particular sum )

Total amount came aroundd 52 thousand and 4 thousand labour to fit the parts. To make the deal more sweat i got air filter and oil filter for the beemer also at 52k.

All these parts are genuine and carry 1 year warrenty, this makes me wonder how much do germans/japs milk the Indians ?

In between this i got call from Infinity about the service , i told them about the deal . Shocked he was he told me that they are non-genuine parts.

I challenged him that if they where i would there and then throw them away and if they are genuine u should give me in written justification about why is there so much difference in the price of spare parts. Obviously he didn't have any answer.

Parts are expected to arrive on wednesday, will update when i get them

sarabjeet2010-11-08 07:51:24

@sarab - A difference of about 48000/- is shocking.Its daylight robbery by these companies. It makes me wonder whether the cars imported by BMW and other Foreign manufactures cost  really that much or are they taking Indian customers for ride.smiley18.gif

@sarab - A difference of about 48000/- is shocking.Its daylight robbery by these companies. It makes me wonder whether the cars imported by BMW and other Foreign manufactures cost  really that much or are they taking Indian customers for ride.smiley18.gif

yup ' date=' and even Rs.32k includes the margin of the importer it might be more cheap.

a CBU , 100% german built top model 3 series costs 24 lakhs in UAE , and locally assembled BMW (indian) costs close to 29 lakhs , with 50% duty (as some parts are imported) . In reality it should be around 23-24 mark.

Welcome to BMW service Centres sarab. Mercedes is even worse.

lol yes , they were trying hard to convince me not to import parts. I can on the other hand live with autohanger , know them since past 12 years and know how to deal with them smiley2.gif

whats seems to be the problem with BMW's ? have seen a lot of them require suspension work and another problem is the steering locks itself. Have seen these problems on other beemers at service centres including 7 series being diagnosed for this.

Every year in the Autocar spare parts survey, the column for the 3 germans spare prices reads *

* = We want to take indian customers for a ride. They've paid so much for the car, they should not mind paying a few lakhs for 1 single part.  

BTW, is the 50 K price diff the dealer margin?? And does BMW import parts like the suspension only when Indian customers face such problems?
vr.462010-11-09 09:42:14

BMW currently has run out of stock , they do have it but might be used at mfg purpose.

i don't think 50K can be the dealer margin , prices as same all over India (except taxes at different places) , price is laid down by BMW India.

I think if companies like Carnation  service Germans automobile at reasonable price Germans might be forced to bring down price.

Hi guys , the 3 series suspension replacement has been done , total cost including labour cost came to Rs.51,000.

Recently i had a chance to TD VW Beetle , was going home and saw TD VW beetle at VW showroom so hoped in. Sorry didn't click any pictures but have upload some for representation.

i got my hands on a beautiful sun shine yellow car and fell in love with it.

vwbeetle.jpg

i was immidiately attended by the sales execuite , prompt service , but then when i looked around the showroom was empty (that explains it).

When i asked about the details for Beetle he had a smile on his face (he might be think ek aur bakra fas gaya) he immidiately told me that he will arrange the test drive vehicale in 5 minutes till then he started telling me about the cars legacy and its safety features . Interrupted him and asked him in banya style     'Woh sab chod ,  kitne ke hai ?'  the look on his face , priceless :D

27.XX on road Mumbai

26.xx on road Vashi/ Thane

smiley5.gif pay a lakh more and you will get BMW  320D CE. This better be good.

As usual he started the blah blah about the engine , reliability and fuel economy and how good the TSI was.

To my relief i saw a Sun shine yellow Beetle outside the showroom waiting for me to get . I told the SE lets go for TD.

He handed me the keys , i marvelled the Exterior and swiftly got in .smiley3.gif i wanted to get out why ?

mumbaiinternationalmoto.jpg

Crap , VW should have worked on to the interiors also , I guess they forgot about it and should be reminded. The quality is same as it is in Swift, evreywhere you look, u'll find cheap plastic. Flimpsy buttons , stupid hard plastic on door panels. How expensive is it to fabric atleast the door panels ?

I didn't even want to take the TD at this point but 2.0 TSI reckoned me to give the car another chance.

Turned on the car , put it on D and pushed the padel hard.

D I S A P P O I N T M E N T

Now I understood why VW bought stake in Suzuki because they could have access to world class automatic CVT transmission that suzuki makes. 0-100 will take around 24+ seconds , thats fast for 2.0 TSI 116 PS smiley36.gif , I could almost count the time the gearbox would take to make the shift , 5 second to decide which gear is suitable for a particular speed (impressive).

S Mode was even worse , it kind of slowed down the shift timing more, S meant for Slow and not sport.

Manual shift mode u ask ??  No actually in this mode the gearbox is to lazy for the shift so it asks you to do it, Oh no you don't decide the speed at which u want to shift , even if u do it won't.

FE about 6 in city driving conditions , don't except much with CVT transmission attached to the TSI

Sad , depressed , annoyed and angry at myself to even opt for a TD , asked the SE how do u even sell this crap ? I think he felt offened and told me that more than 500 are sold in India.

Returned to the showroom parked the car and told him that not interested in the car , don't even follow me up for it , instead enquired about Jetta and discounts available with it.

Now suddenly i feel that Fiat 500 was value for its money. Fiat should bring it as a CKD , it will do wonders
sarabjeet2010-11-17 08:34:25

I had one Alloy logo of BMW missing , which was hurting me. Tried to search for it but couldn't find one . browsed through  ebay and got them on ebay.uk , the guy was offering a set of four for 10 pounds, so got it from him.

here are the images

img0023l0.jpg

img0024wy.jpg

Owning a premium marque is one thing, taking care of it requires deep pockets and the knowledge and wherewithal and urge to get a good deal from the correct place other than the dealer. Sarabjeet hat's off, the suspension repair of your Beemer made interesting reading and I haven't spent 52 k in the whole 5 years for my Elantra for service made me go gulp!!

Logo theft is a very big nuisance especially in Mumbai followed by Surat, since its learnt that all requirements for logo are partly fulfilled by thefts in Surat too.

Anyways, Sarab, i would like to compare all the 3 germans since you own/have owned trio of them though in different segments.

Please rate them on purely product basis first & then on the A.s.s & maintenance basis.

Consider Quality, driveability, comfort, snob value, ride & handling, features, looks, etc, etc...as an best overall car, if possible.

Owning a premium marque is one thing' date=' taking care of it requires deep pockets and the knowledge and wherewithal and urge to get a good deal from the correct place other than the dealer. Sarabjeet hat's off, the suspension repair of your Beemer made interesting reading and I haven't spent 52 k in the whole 5 years for my Elantra for service made me go gulp!! [/quote']

TY DD atleast someones reading smiley17.gif

Well apparently I now have got another deal for front suspensions and cheaper because i have found a direct seller.

Now i can start business of importing partssmiley36.gif

Yes Germans are expensive to maintain , they are a pain in the A$$ when you send them to workshop because something or the other pops-up and if you don't deal with it at that time , it will rip you off later. But the minute you sit behind the steering wheel you  forgive the car for all the pain she gives.

Hyundai's are quite relaible , my frind has a 6 year olf Sonata V6 and she hasn't given him nightmare's yet.

But I must admit that the suspension issue might be because the previous owner must have used it like Tata Indica , it must have been abused otherwise suspensions should last atleast 60-70K kms.

Logo theft is a very big nuisance especially in Mumbai followed by Surat' date=' since its learnt that all requirements for logo are partly fulfilled by thefts in Surat too.

Anyways, Sarab, i would like to compare all the 3 germans since you own/have owned trio of them though in different segments.
Please rate them on purely product basis first & then on the A.s.s & maintenance basis.
Consider Quality, driveability, comfort, snob value, ride & handling, features, looks, etc, etc...as an best overall car, if possible.[/quote']

Mercedes : Three pointer , It does have my Biasness towards it.

People say its for people who prefer the back seat, but Mercedes has always captured the minds of yound individuals also who prefer to drive maybe its not the driving dynamics, it could be the pride of owning one and driving it because they have seen it on the roads since the past two decades and dream on owning one.

C220 cdi , the engine is a stonker people say the 320D is a beast but C220 cdi just crawls ahead. Mercedes maybe expensive but does comes with all gizmos. When compared to BMW , Mercedes does offer better equipment.

Driving the C220 cdi : it has got Multipal personality disorder. It can be a comfy saloon and with flip of a button she turns into a sports sedan.

I have always see the sports button, we all know it makes the car sporty be changing the gear ratios and making them change swiftly but you can certainly feel the difference in the C220 cdi when you engage the sports mode.

Suspensions stiffen up and suddenly the car becomes more responsive. The steering of the benz has improved and is firm and precise. The rear seat just got better , thats what the benz is for but they have certainly improved the driving dynamics. It is no longer the chauffer drive vehical that people intend to think.

And the 17" wheels makes it look like a killer

BAD PART : the LCD screen , yuk. low resoultion LED's is all i can say , it can be compared to one on Aria it really looks cheap plus the user interface isn't to much to talk about , it is just a basic screen for information it cannot be compared to BMW and Audi MMI.

Electronic failures are the biggest worries of owning one. Apart from the A/C problem that Benz has been facing since 1996.

A.S.S : people have trouble with Benz these days as like all they have been following change vs repair strategy. But my experience with Benz is jolly good , this can be becuase i have known them since a decade now.

Maintenance : Well lets say it is the Maruti of luxury car makers, all and I mean all parts are available in the grey and experts mechanics are plenty. It surely is the cheapest to repair outside the showroom.

BMW: Referred to as the drivers car, it has earned it name wheel its so popular that it has it own genere ' beemer '. When you are buying one don't even look at Audi and Benz please , they can offer you gadgets but not driving pleasure. The HPS causes problem to many oldies but it is just the thing that people look upto (sadly they are changing it to EPS) . The angles eyes , the key and the driving postion sets it apart from other compititors. No one can get close to it(at least for now).

Bad Part: well the sporty suspension it gives in. My dad gets back ache even after we switched to tubeless. Its ok for city rides but a big No No if u plan a picnic.

Suspension failures and steering racks are the biggest worries of owning one. (well its not BMWs fault these suspensions aren't ment for Indian roads).

A.S.S : it good as long as you go with BSI , otherwise the same change vs repair theory applies here too.

Maintenance : Well sourcing parts are a big troublesome because of the different type of models available across the globe. example : 320i, 320 D, 320 ce , 320MD , 320 Mi  and more hence it becomes a pain.

Apart from that if you stick to run flats than a new set every 20K kms.

Audi: lol i have already written the Audi review , sorry  will do it in short now

They saw its a mixture between the mercedes and bmw because it offers both ride and comfort with sportyness but as i see it , it does not give you the premium feel. The cars to light and lots of parts resemble VW and Skoda. It even has the same engine.

But on feature lists Audi beats both Mercedes and BMW hand-down. It has the best user interface for MMI and comfort level match that of Benz. Being lighter, the car does accelerate the best but the steering is a big dissapointment. Its toooooo light , u can compare it i20 at certain speeds.

A.S.S : Ok , u have just bought a a 30 lakh saloon and have to wait for weeks for the parts to arrive ? well that was the position of Audi service centres but they have certainly improved. They are the lightest on pocket among the three and Audi secure pack will give you a peace of mind.

Maintenance: parts availablity is the biggest issue, but certain parts can be swapped with VW and Skoda Superb. Other than that Audi doesn't give u alot to complain.

@Sarab :

How is the fabia doing? Also if possible review some engine oils' date=' tyres and other stuffs of the premium cars you owned.
[/quote']

Fabia is doing great. it has its own share of problems. I have to replace the OVRM adjuster isn't working and i am having a hard time sourcing the part. Even Skoda doesn't have one available.

Engine oils I use for premium is Supersync Mobil 1, its recommended by everyone.

for tyres i stick to Bridgestones for their ease of availablity

Well I was young when dad use to import cars but well name few i remeber.

they are

S500

A class

Toyota Supra Silica

Mazda Miata

Toyota Corona

Toyota Land cruiser

Mitsubushi Pajero 2 door 3.2L

Lexus L420 or 430 , don't remember correctly

Toyota MR2

C220 , C250 ,E250,E250 , SLK 320 , M320

and a Mustang which my dad keeps on talking about , that was way backin 85-6 or something, wasn't even born 

these were a few

sarabjeet2010-11-27 19:15:21

# BMW rip off part 2

start the car in the morning and wala the display screen tells me you need to spend some money ! Brake pads

I dared . Yes you heared it right , I dared to call BMW service centre (don't know why). I new the consequences so it sat down on the chair first.

and the response from service advisor was

25K for Front brake pads & 15k for rear (and this is 320d)

went to ebay the next moment and bought Brembo pads for 9k + Rs.1600 shipment.

Someone remind the Zermans that there is a thing called Ebay. Oh and OEM BMW pads costs as less as 40 pounds in UK.

Thanks ebay for saving my pocket

Someone remind the Zermans that there is a thing called Ebay. Oh and OEM BMW pads costs as less as 40 pounds in UK.

I thought those patronizing "Zermans" have deep pockets & are aware of the spare prices fact before jumping for a purchase!