Maximus

Mahindra Renault Logan 1.5D

Apologies in advance for not posting the entire review, but a short excerpt., but this is a review that I was asked to do by a fellow blogger friend as an exclusive feature, hence the excerpt.

Make no mistake, it is a low cost car and the outcome is clearly visible in the single parking lamp, the lack of styling ( even that aids to give it a nice muscular stance, coupled with the classy looking centrally mounted Renault badge on the grill up front ), and sparse interiors. But then, this is not what it was made for. The specifications pit this as bigger than the Merc C class and competition, and it does that with aplomb, sink into the backseat and one does not feel like one is in a low cost sedan by any stretch of the imagination. They have made up for the lack of power, styling and goodies with some awesome room once inside the vehicle, which is a smart move considering a lot of sedan buyers usually employ drivers to chauffeur them around whilst the lounge on the back seat with their laptops and cell phones, being least bothered about what lies under the hood of the car or in the dash up front.

Coming to the car itself, they have maintained an aggressive stance and some work has surely gone into the Dacia for India. There are lines running all the way across the C pillar that seek to establish a not totally devoid sense of style, whilst the grill, the 185 tyres, the McPherson strut suspension ( not independent link sadly ) and its 155mm ground clearance all add to the value for money this car offers. The model we own is a 1.5D, and at 65bhp at 4000 rpm, its not exactly sprightly, but is more than adequate for the city as we found out, it is actually quicker to the 40+ kmph mark than the 1.6 petrol, one can put that down to the higher torque offered by the Diesel variant (16.4kgm @ 2krpm as opposed to a miserly 13 kgm @3100rpm for the petrol). Once past the 40kmph mark however, the car will chug along steadily but slowly towards its claimed 145kmph top whack (although one must keep in mind that this was not made for that purpose, if someone is looking for a performance diesel, the Fiesta and Verna offer a bit more, with some in house dash sensibilities too at a much higher price!). The mileage gained so far from this vehicle is an unbelievable 19kmpl (mix of both city and highway driving,

More pics here

Here the Blog link for the rest of the story and more pictures of the car

http://malteshashrit.wordpress.com/2007/08/02/stay-undefined-exclusive-owners-review-of-mahindra-renault-logan-15d

Hope it helps any prospective buyers.

Its apparently doing well, took a bit of time to pick up, what with the booking delays and other niggles, but there seem to be quite a few on the road. Runaway success would not be far from the truth if this trend continues for few more months! Especially now that they are releasing newer variants too!

Which variant did you drive? Diesel, petrol 1.4, or above?

or all 3?

I test drove the Logan briefy. found it to be high on NVH - more road noise and engine noise than the Fiesta. ride is too good and the back seat - man you can have a party on it. Petrol is well priced but I think Mahindra Renault got greedy with the diesel - its a wee bit too expensive for what you get.

yea the car is quite spacious and engine sound is quite decent. but the noly thing that made me not buy this one is the low ground clearance of 155mm on full weight but overall a nice car. good  FE too. hapy motoring any one has any query or  want to chat with mee  plz take down my email id mndvishnu@yahoo.com

if someone is looking for a performance diesel' date=' the Fiesta and Verna offer a bit more, with some in house dash sensibilities too at a much higher price!).[/quote']

Fiesta diesel ? ? Performance ??? ??? in the same sentence ???

where do i begin ?

what next ? the non turbo indica ?

surely youve made a mistake

excuse me for my like and dislikes- I simply do not like the looks of the Logan. It looks cheap- there is no work for the design deptt guys for such cars maybe!!!! True its practical, well priced, but when I am spending around Rs 6 to 7 lakhs, will I go for a car that has flat windscreens and door glasses which are like any pre- 1960's car??? Oh i am sorry even the Ambassador has curved windscreens. The Logan lacks everything in the looks department.

yesterday i sat in my friends diesel DLX logan. the space was too good but the looks of the car was not impressive. but for the price i think it is a good buy

I saw the Dacia Logan in Turkey first, and it surely looked very basic and un-inspiring. Then I saw the estate version in Spain, which almost looked like a hearse!.  The Indian version somehow looks much better and there is some cosiderable flair about that. 

Surprisingly the looks of the Logan is growing on me and I'm learning to live with that.  There are many of them on the road already and this car surely appeals a lot to your think-tank if not your heart.  There are lot of virtues of the car that cannot be overlooked, including that magical fuel efficiency of the diesel. 

The Santro was appalling when it appeared first, but it eventually won many fans due to its reliability and Hyundai's exceptional service.  A similar magic might work in Logan's favour if Mahindra has set their cards right. 

Jitz

yes first when i saw the Logans pics in the Autocar issue maybe last year dec . it dint look impressive but you are right Jitz the indian Logan is qute better compared to the one in the Dutch.

Similiar hope may be there in the mahindra renault but they should be really good like the hyundai.

i did not like that idea too the rear trunk release with key was rather sad! and to think as if the internal boot release would have costed them soo much and to emit that was really a very bad idea!

I dunno y but i can never ever trust the Mahindra's...... Renau on the other side is good....

So my conclusion is like this....

Incase u wanna have Chinese... then have the authentic one...Just like the Honda....

Dont have the Indianised Chinese... Tht;s Mahindra Renau.....

dont go for indigo, if you can... reliability very poor..

but has to wait and see how reliable, logan really is...

renault is known for reliability.

in europe, fiat and renault are considered to be far less reliable than Suzuki, Hyundai and the like..!!!!!!!