Sign in to follow this  
arreddyy

VW VENTO : TEST DRIVE THREAD

Got a chance to drive Vento today , and boy , I am pretty impressed .

Here's a short test drive report :

Looks :

Head on , leaving the air dam and round fog lamps , the car looks exactly like the POLO , which isn't a good thing , but isn't a bad thing either , as they look exceptionely fantastic . The boot is nicely tucked in , and the overall design is simplistic yet classy .

Cabin :

Back seat first , because , thats where most significant change lies . The back seats are extremely comfortable , the cushioning is spot on , great under thigh support and leg room . Come to front seats and like POLO , the front seats are comfortable with good bolstering. The overall fit and finish is great , tad better than the CITY . But whats disappointing is the way , the central console looks ! Its a bit bland . Also , the beige - black on polo looks better than the bray - beige .

Gearbox :

On both petrol and diesel , the gearbox is pretty good . The action is pretty smooth. Though , the one on petrol is better one , and I found the diesel one had a lil clunkyness in it

Engine , Ride :

I am suprised , how silent the diesel unit is , than the earlier pump duse found on skoda's . The refinement and smoothness is top notch. No frequent gear changes needed on the diesel. The torque is well spread .

The petrol unit on the other hand is smooth , though the vtec on CITY is a far better unit. Engine gets a bit vocal when revved hard , but under normal driving conditions , the engine is pretty smooth and sufficient power is on tap , with some gear changes.

The ride is simply top notch , and it glides over the bad roads.

That's Quite a Neat & Good review..

So, In short are you satisfied with New Vento ??

Also ' date=' the beige - black on polo looks better than the bray - beige .
[/quote']

Are you sure its having different Dashboard Colour Combination ?? As in pics it looks almost same as Polo, except ACC controls.

There is a mild difference in the interior tones between the Vento and Polo and the Vento's will appear as black to most people. I drove the city only recently quite thoroughly and the cabin plastics quality didnt impress me. The floor console specially would move on either side with a gentle push. Vento seems to feel like a rock in comparison

I took a friend of mine to the VW showroom today. He is looking to buy a new car which he can use in the city as his C-Class and E-Class are too big, he hates his Indica and he cant seem to like the Nano. So We went to VW to see the 1.6 Polo and the Vento.

I like the Black Vento...Apart from the fact that it is quite sluggish!! Even in triptronic mode, it didnt really move. Apart from that, If it was my own money, I would not mind owning one.

My Friend on the other hand has decided to get rid of his E-Class and get a New 5 Series and a X5!! :)

@all

I think that the discussion is about Vento, and not Beemers. Lets stick to the topic.

Seeing TD vehicles of Vento on the road. My parents also got a call from VW dealer enquiring whether they own City and inviting them to TD Vento. I wonder how they found out we have City.

Seeing TD vehicles of Vento on the road. My parents also got a call from VW dealer enquiring whether they own City and inviting them to TD Vento. I wonder how they found out we have City.

Thats strange ! Comparing vento with city , is one thing , but calling up the owners of city and asking them to check out vento , is utter foolishness .

I have taken test drive of VW Vento Petrol Highline AT (auto transmission) 3 times at <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Bangalore on different roads. I got a chance to test drive it for more than 50 KMs together probably much more than most of the people who would have test driven. I have also test driven Honda City AT for about 25 KMs on peripheral ring road in Bangalore, so will also mention my comparison in the sections below as Vento is in direct competition with Honda City.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Styling - Exterior:

Vento is a regular understated sedan, looks quite descent if not flashy or eye catching. Front grill, air dams and headlights look good. The guage of the metal sheets and the window glasses is very good and clearly German. The bonnet and the doors are very heavy and built to last for several years. 15 inch alloys look good, comes fitted with Appollo Acelere or JK Vectra 185/65 R 15. I wish if they come with Bridgestone though. Tire width is acceptable if not very good, dealers here are not ready to upgrade to 195 width and warranty will be void if done outside. Door handles are very good, would have liked bit of chrome splashing on the door handles, and sash garnishing to enhance the looks. These are not even on the accessories list, currently most of the accessories are not available at the dealerships yet. I would give 8/10 for exterior styling. City's airoshoot form scores higher on this front, in my opinion 9/10 for city.

Styling - Interior:

The passenger cabin is very spacious, well supported seats at the front, with manually adjustable drivers seat. Rear seat leg room is very good and seats are comfortable though a touch lesser thigh support. We will have to work with Stanley seating to get that additional 1 inch cushioning for thigh support if one is planning to go for leather seating. Hump in the middle is on the larger side, however I guess this is present in many of the VW and skoda cars. Personally, I do not have problem with it as I do not prefer to seat 5 people except for short trips. Central arm rest at the front is in perfect height with integrated arm rest on the doors and the arm rest is adjustable for inclination angle. I have read in many blogs, this creates problem while changing gears, however for AT, this makes perfect sense. The arm rest at the rear is very wide and is in sync with integrated arm rest of the doors. The rear AC vents are adjustable to two different directions , so that both the passengers at the back can get the airflow directed towards them. On the rear seating position, Honda City scores higher than Vento as the hump at the middle is reduced considerably and the thigh support and back rest angle are in perfect position. However, front seats are equally supportive in both the cars.

Dashboard design is good and functional but not anything stylish. Steering is adjustable for reach and rake. You will be able to get into a comfortable position using adjustable steering and driver seat adjustment. The visibility from the driver

I totally disagree on your point about back seat comfort.  There is virtually no underthigh support and I'm 5'8" and I had to put my feet under the front seats to find any thigh support at all.  This is because the seat is on the shorter side to increase the legroom.  Also, the back rest is a bit upright and on long journeys it will be tiresome.  The rear seats are also of the hatchback type and not sedan type. You will have to sit in the back seat of an Sx4 or City to know the difference. 

Update regarding Central locking in Vento:

I visited the dealership again and took a quick look at the owners manual and also checked the central locking mechanism in TD vehicle.

When centrally locked through the button at drivers door, it is only locked from outside, internal door open levers are not locked, and with a single pull, the door opens. This is serious issue for people who have young ones on board. In India, kids do not always sit in child's seat and they would prefer to sit in front seat. While the rear doors can be clild locked, it becomes inconvinient for the driver to get down and open the rear door every time someone wants to get down from rear seat. Also, for the front passenger door, there is absolutely no locking mechanism from inside. I spoke to Service Manager at the dealership, he mentioned to me that similar concern has been expressed by other people and also polo owners. He mentioned that they tried several options at their side to configure it, they could not figure out anything, so they have referred this concern to VW Plant couple of days back, so expecting a reply anytime now. He also said VW has been responding to their queries within couple of days, so in max 1 week of time, there could be a response. He has also taken down my number and assured me that he will inform me once he heard back from VW.

Since I have 2 year old kid, this is concern to me, may be for me to buy this car, this needs to be addressed in some way. Otherwise I may have to cancel my booking.

Forum members, you have any info in this regard?