BonFre

Diesel car: Fiesta, Lancer, Linea, Vento?

Im thinking of getting rid of my Corolla(gas guzzler) & going in for a mid-size saloon(diesel). Thus, downshifting a notch.

Options include: Fiesta, Lancer, Linea or Vento.

Main requirements are: comfortable, low on maintenace, easy on service & spares.

Ford-Fiesta-1.6-SXi-ABS.jpg

Polo-Saloon-is-VW-Vento-%283%29.jpg

landing_img.jpg

fiat_linea_1024.jpg
BornFree2010-09-15 08:01:34

Lancer D- are you seriously considering this?

Fiesta - Good overall Car

Linea - Another overall good car but misses on Fit & Finish.

My choice Linea, this has got superb looks, good mileage, OK power, VFM pricing, wonderful ride & handling, good equipments,..etc

But BF, from what i understand about you, you play safe with brands. None of the above brands are known for their After sales support, so this being the case, why not try Corolla D if your budget permits.

Another good car in your budget, Optra.
creativebala2010-09-15 08:51:08

The most perfect sedan of them all is ofcourse the Vento but a huge flaw it has is the costly spare parts and an unproven track record. Fiesta is again nowhere as spacious as the other contenders

I will suggest that you wait till the end of the year ofr Etios diesel, and maybe further news on SX4 diesel.

If you need to buy it now and since you are willing to buy lancer I will suggest you look at Optra diesel too.

Also think of ANHC. It gives a very good mileage when compared to other petrols. We are getting 14+ kmpl in city and around 18 in highway which is pretty good in my opinion

Lancer = Why? Why?? WHY???

Fiesta = new one expected soon(being tested)

Vento = If interior space is not much of a concern, and if you are looking for a car that has some snob value, and if you want some driving pleasure

Linea = VFM

My pick: Linea

CB, Im still considering Lancer D because have come across numerous people who vouch for its reliability & clocking hig miles in the tune of 2L or so without any major faults. Spare parts price & availability is a factor though about which Im not sure.

Fiesta is there on the list of things but looks smaller than the competition. Also, Fords a.s.s & spares are expensive. Don't know about the present picture.

Tried Linea but found it to be very low & Fiats service, spares is a big issue still, I guess.

No Corolla D for me because having kept & driven a Corolla already, I do not want a Toyota again.

Optra lacks character, don't know when GM decides to pull the plug on it.

Rahul, yes Im considering Vento but as you mentioned, do not want to jump into the water without knowing the depth!

Not thinking of Etios D because going by Toyota standards, its value segment car would be barebones.

SX4 D looks exciting, are you sure its due for an early launch?

No petrol for me now, so ANHC is totally out.

Winner, right but Im still not able to find a better choice than Lancer!

Yes, new Fiesta should be around the corner, any time schedules?

Well,  Im not looking for snob value but driving pleasure is sure welcome. Vento is like entering into unchartered territory, never know how costly spares & service turn out to be & there are fears related to Skoda like stories happening.

Im considering Linea but again Fiats is kind off living upto its reputation of being not so reliable!

What about Dzire? Or is it best kept excluded!

smiley36.gif! I like CB and Winner's response to the Lancer.

I feel somewhere along the same lines. The car is surely capable but OMG its old. In case you do decided to change it reasonably soon, it will fetch  horrendous resale value.

Ford has made some concious efforts to reduce the spare parts costs in recent times. Fiesta out of the group seems to be the most well rounded option. No idea when the new one is coming out but this one delivers great driving pleasure and I have not heard any complaints regarding quality issues.

Every car has been mentioned but one. I dont recommend it but I felt it was being left outsmiley36.gif. Hyundai Verna Transform!

@Bornfree

Lancer D is not a bad option at all. Just that service is getting worse. If parts and service is reasonable then it is a good buy. But you might miss the power and torque.

Why no Indigo Manza and why no Hyundai verna crdi ? Dzire ZDi is also good, but build quality is not that great. Linea and Vento are the best of options here. Linea a bit better I feel.

Lancer D is probably the most inefficient of the whole bunch: 2.0L engine, IDI, 68 bhp and now comes the best part torque is 12.5kgm. It's the only diesel car on sale with its torque lower than its petrol. I have sat in the back seat in a Lancer D sure is comfy and engine was pretty refined too. I also have a friend who has a used Lancer and just loves it. I really don't know whats there to love a diesel car whose vital statistics read as above. Why don't you try out a used Pajero in place of the Lancer: I know you like 4x4. If your considering Lancer don't buy new buy an used one.

If I were you I'd buy a Vento D and atleast bask in 'Teutonic' ambiance.

Vento my dear friend , both linea and Fiesta are underpowered for highways , lancer i would avoid.

Verna looks horrible(personal opinion) , take the vento and Pete it smiley17.gif VW's are reliable

Edit: just a thougt if u can live with skoda just consider a Octavia L&K in stock clearance sale or Chevy optra magnum
sarabjeet2010-09-15 12:23:06

Asethi, my response to a Lancer query would also have been the same! When you look closely, though there are plenty of cars now but none excels.

Right resale could be rock-bottom but here in Punjab, Lancers demand all along has been good.

I also heard Ford had reduced Fiestas spares prices but no confirmation to the effect. Having owned an Ikon, I know Fords are not among the easily maintainable cars.

Thought of Verna myself, tried one long time back but found the ride quality not upto my liking. I need a comfy. car that doesn't rattle occupants much.

Sb, Concern about Lancer is that it has far outlived its age & can be discontinued anytime. Spares & service is a concern too but the car still looks good & has street presence that too more than new entrants like Fiesta, Verna.

Not considering a Tata product as a main car. Though Manza is a giant leap ahead but still doesn't make the cut for me as a flagship car.

DD, actually its a tried & tested product, owners literally vouch for it. For in City use, it kind-off matches Fiesta & Verna. Driving position, controls, ergonomics are good.

Earlier I had thought of buying a Thar & keeping it along with Corolla but as it has turned out to be a mystic Yeti like creature, I think I would be better off not waiting for rustic Mahindra. So, converted my buy to a diesel sedan for now.

Vento does appeal the most but I don't want to end up with a vehicle which is heavy on spares & service. Also the numerous Skoda stories don't infuse confidence either.

Winner, I could consider Manza as a 2nd, 3rd car, not as a primary one. Also, space is not an issue.

Sarab, would need to see some users reviews about Vento before taking the plunge. Power is again not high on my agenda, I would not part with Corolla if it was! Have showed a clean pair of heels to almost any car on road. Now, out of the "race"!

Skoda is a strict no but do hear about their 4 years maintenance programme.

@BornFree,

I Own a Linea Dynamic Pack Diesel (this model is not available now, only Emotin is available), bought in November 28th 2009. Till today have run 15034 kms. Not visited service station for any problems nor niggles. I get a mileage of 15 kms inside City & got a maximum of 21 kms on highways. I am a sedate driver & have not crossed 120 kms speed.

I Enjoy driving the Linea because of its Handling, Comfort(thigh support in the seat is fantastic), easy to drive inside city & lots of inbuilt feautres. There might be problems with service, spares not available, but till date for me there was no requirment for service nor spares so I am unable to complain about the same. Herein Coimbatore the dealer has given me all the information I require whenever I had called him. Tommorow my car is going for it Second service(15k service). I will give you my review about the service along with the billed amount as soon it is completed.

As of your last post you have rejected , Fiesta & Vento the remaining two are Lancer & Linea.

As of my opinion Linea is VFM. Go for Linea.

If you surely want to go for a diesel why not a Xylo or Scorpio?

The Xylo advertisement tries to lure sedan buyers and I am doing exactly that. But if you do not like its looks the Scorpio is a very good bet.The SLX or even the VLX versions are excellent buys.

If you need to stick to buying a sedan then the Lancer is a no no. The Vento needs to be there for sometime in the market for one to decide. The Fiesta is OK but getting dated.  And the Linea is no doubt fantastic, but its sales figures are skidding. These factors affect the resale value later on when you  may like to change over.

Rather the Lancer, Fiesta and Linea are not known to offer a decent resale values.

anjan_c20072010-09-15 15:39:53

Asethi, I have that helpful July issue stacked safely. Will take it out & have a re-look.

Naren, very encouraging short review. FE looks par for the course.

Tell me more about ride comfort & seating position in front seats. I TD'ed Linea some time back & found the car to be low & ride wasn't great.

Well Fiesta, Vento are not entirely out yet!

Anjan, Xylo would be a strict no no. Scorpio could enter as a lateral/alternative entry but I will be loosing on FE compared to ultra-frugal sedans. Has the ride quality in the Scorpio improved?

Correct, Vento needs to be evaluated over time. Yes, Lineas sales figures tell a different story.

@BF , yes Vento needs to be evaluated but there is no other stunning diesel in the segment , unless u climb the lader for Corolla diesel base model.

I would suggest stech for Altis D base version for complete piece of mind , if you are not bored with Corolla already

Asethi, so most of the models are at a level playing field but a big question over here is that which out of these requires/consumes more parts? In some cars, the failure/reliability rates are low/poor. Also, servicing charges for some cars are higher than the segment.

Sarab, having driven a Corolla for a considerable time & distance, I can state that its the most boring car to drive. Also, the Toyota reliability, quality, etc. is a huge myth. Servicing is not cheap either.

Sb, Will try the Cruze Auto. but Im not too optimistic about it. Did not quite like the looks/badge. Chevy/GM products do not age well in the market.

Jetta, No way in hell! Its the most boring design of all. New Jetta expected early next year.

Also, no 2nd hand cars.

BornFree2010-09-15 18:57:17

@bf , craziest idea , why not a 2004-5 C220 cdi m8 ? << she isn't second hand smiley17.gif

i can see your mind tilted towards Lancer diesel , go for it if your heart beats for it.If you don't mind a hatch i20 Asta crdi is also a great option , fits your bill perfectly

Sarab, think I shall do just fine without going crazy!

Lancer D is something that came to my mind seeing a lot of them on-road & owners having good words for the car.

i20 is a good car but out my list of things due to not so good ride quality.

Sb, perfection is something hard to achieve! Im not looking for a perfect car but just that meets my requirements. Actually Dzire fits most but looses out on shape. Im cautiously opting for a downgrade because running costs reduce too & these cut price sedans do what Cruze/Jetta would do. The Corolla Im driving right now has very expensive spares, consumes a hell lot of fuel. Also the size is not so manageable within the tight confines of the City.

Downscaling will sure have its dis-advantages but benefits for me outnumber the negatives & I can live the image factor.
BornFree2010-09-15 19:11:04

If such is the requirements then i feel going for a hatch is better. Check out figo titanium. It has space equivalent to that of some sedans. Ride quality is not bad either. Maruti diesels will rattle early.

Also Jazz, though a petrol is a good buy. Decent FE with good ride. FE is at par with 1.2 k series engines

sb-alto2010-09-15 19:17:17