BonFre

Diesel car: Fiesta, Lancer, Linea, Vento?

I could have gone in with a hatch eyes closed if I was adding a car to Corolla but as Im planning to get rid of the Corolla, a mid size car is what I want.

Figo is good car but the design is very old. Specially the low window sills put me off. While on hatches, why not a Punto, Polo, Vista? I guess this is going way OT now!

@SB

You mentioned the wrong car to the wrong man. BF would buy anything but

the Jazz. I had a very long debate about this with himsmiley36.gif.

@BF

Polo Diesel if you are up for it, seems like a great car. I dont think there should be much difference in the maintainence of the Polo and the Vento.

I see you tilting more and more towards the Fiat Lineasmiley2.gif.

asethi9192010-09-15 19:27:09

Yeah that's right Jazz would be the last thing I would ever buy!

About Polo & Vento, spares, sevice & costs are the main moot points. Rest the car top their segments.

Will try Linea, Vento, Manza & possibly Dzire too.

Mid-size in my view translates into a Manza (as has been already pointed out)! I had a ride once - rear seats are really comfy and the interior takes the cake.

I am not a diesel man but could not help putting in my tuppence worth.

Prof, will check out the Maza but as a flagship vehicle, I would avoid a Tata. Lets see if TD experience changes this! Rear seat space is not a requirement, I shall be driving myself.

I think that if you are willing to consider Manza and Dzire, then you should really think of waiting for Etios. I think atleast the top variant will be fully equipped and you will in all probability get a much better quality vehicle than these two. Also there was a recent article in which Toyota estimated sales of 60k-63k in the first year, so you can rest assured of competitive pricing.

I am not sure about SX4 Diesel, but we keep getting news every month, CB also just reported some information on that front.

I think you should wait till atleast the next year.

I will also recommend you to have another look at the Jazz. This time, just dont think of it as a hatchback, but a sedan with 400 liter boot. You will find it much more appealing then and actually more spacious than some sedans like Fiesta and Dzire. In Europe it is not categorised as a hatcback but as a mini mpv which is a strong credential in my opinion. Also the ease of driving will be much more in comparison to a sedan.

There is also a 55000 discount going on for Jazz, and with a bit of haggling you can get a very good deal.

Guess Etios is coming out this year but Im not specifically going to wait for it. If Im left un-decided by then, could check out Etios. Otherwise not much hopes from the car.

Saw the Jazz, as a matter of fact, I was unable to comfortably place myself in the drivers seat due to restricted leg room. Did not proceed further because need a comfy. driving position.

Tata can make their cars out of gold and I still wouldn't buy them. One horrendous experience was more than enough to tell me exactly how good(NOT) Tata is. Manza has made leaps in the right direction but I expect it still be below par in terms of quality when compared to each and every car in its category. Add horrible service, unexciting looks, unexciting driving to the mix and I dont see one damn reason to buy a Manza. Just my opinion.

I really dont think you would enjoy the steep drop from Corolla to the Manza.
asethi9192010-09-16 07:06:54

Naren' date=' very encouraging short review. FE looks par for the course.

Tell me more about ride comfort & seating position in front seats. I TD'ed Linea some time back & found the car to be low & ride wasn't great.

Well Fiesta, Vento are not entirely out yet!

[/quote']

I will come back to you in a day or two with photographic illustrations as my Linea has now gone for 2nd Service.

Please please please dont buy Lancer-D

The guys who praise the Lancer, its driveablity, etc, are probably the ones who have not driven Verna or Optra. Lancer is like..umm.... a blunt body with an outdated engine. No Torque, No power, High NVH, low average (18kmpl for an untuned diesel), No ABS-BA-EBD, No Airbags, etc etc. I can bash Lancer day n night.

BornFree2010-09-16 08:11:15

BF' date=' you can very well wait for SX4 Diesel. Etios would also be a good choice.

Other car you may wait for( if you can wait till march 2011), Fiesta. Remember Ford saying, atleast 1 new car every year, so it has to Fiesta before march 2011.
[/quote']

I checked with one of my friend who works in an automotive meter manufacturing company, he says that there is no developement or requirement for meters from Ford for the new Fiesta. He has also checked up with his contacts in Ford, they have said that there would be no launch of New Fiesta in first two quarters of 2011.
NAREN642010-09-16 09:22:41

Sethi, Manza is low on my list.

Drift, I won't take such a strong stance against the Lancer. I do agree that its well passed its age & Mitsu. should give it a late burial now.

CB, checked the spare prices for Fiesta, they are high for the segment. Not much hopes from new up-coming Fiesta.

Naren, waiting for your review & pics.

linea is fine but it has the same problem as fiesta , it isn't a highway cruiser , sure its got the torque and everything but its Torque/ weight or power/ weight ratio is a big disappointment which turns the car not so good for overtaking on highways, u constantly need to shift down. Fiesta gets away a lil bit because it is lighter. Since power isn't you main criteria you can give it a short, and if you plan to keep it more than 4 years than resale value can be ignored.

If you still have the Lancer on your list; search for a used well kept Elantra diesel. It's very driveable has a nice ride and big car feel, a very decent car for a fraction of the price. The driver's seat has height adjust. Theres loads of space at the back. Engines very refined and powerful.

Durango Dude2010-09-16 18:23:21

He is all against used cars as of now. I saw the ACI show on TV today. Although the vento emerged as the winner, the linea is the second best. Back seat comfort in linea is outstanding. I guess linea is a good deal. 

After reading this thread till the post above, I'm left totally in a Mess & unable to conclude what all are trying to say here. Probably all the cars from the last decade are discussed here, with Ending at No Conclusion !

What you say BF !!

But Straight forwardly saying;

-Please avoid Lancer D; No doubt Its still appreciated & still selling here but logically thinking & speaking there's Nothing left in the Lancer D today to cope-up with the Competition, Rules & Regulations(Emission norms) of present day & upcoming also.

Alongwith its Spare parts HM-Mitsubishi dealers are also in Scanty all over the country & there's no Info on their Ramping process yet !

So better is to Leave that Idea..

-Linea; Actually this is the car, which actually came to my mind after reading your thread post, but after reading your further views it've gone downwards, facts being its Larger size(since you're already fed-up of Gigantic Corolla), Too Low Seating, Not so Scorcher engine.

-Amongst your other choices;

Vento is Simply the best with somewhat Acceptable Maintenace costs(32k is for 60k kms/4-year AMC for Polo TDi, expect l'll bit more for Vento). for such a High-Quality & Scorching Product.

Its 1.6l, 105PS TDi diesel is a Performance King, equalling Hyundai Verna.

Just TD it for further Shortlisting your choices..
dr_nishu2010-09-16 20:18:48

Sarab, on Linea I have fears of Fiats poor but improving a.s.s. Can't vouch on Fiat's reliability too. Fiesta is getting old & new one would be coming next year.

DD, no 2nd hand car this time around. Elantra is an acceptable car but don't want to go in for an out of production model.

Nishu, Im confused too, not able to narrow down! Have kind-off left Lancer out now on members suggestions.

Linea is there in the reckoning, lets see....!

Vento sure is a segment topper but I will do good to wait for a while till ownership accounts appear.

Prof, I used to high mile a lot but of late highway runs have decreased. It would mostly be in City runabouts with some Highway mongering.

Win, No City for me!

Raul, that's encouraging but I may not be able to wait till then!