BonFre

Diesel car: Fiesta, Lancer, Linea, Vento?

Auto seems exciting' date=' what are the options? Excluding Cruze![/quote']

Verna if u can live with a sad face in your garage and Skoda octavia(old stock)

there is an Chevy optra 1.8 petrol auto near my locality , do they make special onces for diesel too ?

Naren' date=' waiting for your review & pics.
[/quote']

Review of my Linea's handling:

Suspension :  Which is so good that the car is not affected by uneven surfaces & on smooth surfaces the same is stiff which gives a very good handling of the car.

Also when any of the wheels leave contact with the road the suspension sees to that the three or two wheels which are on the road are even and therefore the suspension does not run out of travel (bottom or top).

Under Steer: The car has a small amount of under steer so that it responds predictably to a turn of the steering wheel.

On Bumps: When the car travels over bumps & pot holes the suspension is not exhausted, so the wheels do not tend to loose contact with the road surface.

Body Roll: The car does not lean too much towards the outside of the curve when you

Naren, a neat & compact review. You seem to have really liked the car, I could not spot any -ves there. On your recommendation, I checked Linea in showroom today, found the interior plastic quality a bit iffy.

After all the general executive talk, inquired about the cost of paid service & was surprised to hear that each paid service after ~15k kms costs ~ 8-9k. Is this another Skoda in the making!

Seating appeared pretty low, whereas in Punto it was a bit higher. Im still to TD the car.

Drifty, I don't think a new Linea is anticipated!
BornFree2010-09-18 12:34:04

Naren' date=' a neat & compact review. You seem to have really liked the car, I could not spot any -ves there. On your recommendation, I checked Linea in showroom today, found the interior plastic quality a bit iffy.

After all the general executive talk, inquired about the cost of paid service & was surprised to hear that each paid service after ~15k kms costs ~ 8-9k. Is this another Skoda in the making!

Seating appeared pretty low, whereas in Punto it was a bit higher. Im still to TD the car.

Drifty, I don't think a new Linea is anticipated!

[/quote']

Thanks BF. The interior plastic is not up to the mark, especially the one's below the steering wheel, ignition key hole, the front dash console & the plastic's where you place your feet. Other than this others are ok.

Regarding the service, yesterday my Linea went for 15k service & the total Invoice amount was as follows(scanner not working therefore not able to scan the Invoice). All inclusive of VAT 12.5%.

1) Engine Oil Synthetic - 3.2 liters = Rs.2080.00

2) Oil Filter Diesel                        = Rs.  371.00

3) Fuel filter diesel with sensor      = Rs.1989.00

4) Air filtering element diesel         = Rs.  330.00

5) Engine oil & filter change labour= Rs.      0.00

6) Fuel filter & Airfilter change labour=Rs.   0.00

7) Front wheel alignment check & adjust=Rs.0.00

8) Washing & vacuming                 =Rs.     0.00

Total amount = Rs.4770.00

I will check with the Service station on Monday how much will S.No. 5,6, 7 & 8 cost.

As my height is 6ft 1 I do not find the seating low, plus I keep the seat height adjuster in the middle.

@driftpunk

Only the T Jet is for Launch that is Petrol.

NAREN642010-09-18 15:45:43

Naren, considering this among the 3 free services, 5k is on the higher side.

Add labour costs to this when paid services start & we are easily in the territory of ~7-8k. From what I've heard, Fiestas paid services cost ~3-4k.

Apologies for tracking off from the main issue but after reading this entire thread, felt as though I was listening to an intimate family conversation.....such was the precise,very helpful & detailed information & advice provided by other members to Mr.Born Free, if I had to buy any of the above mentioned cars I can sleep walk & still pick the right choice according 2 my requirements.... hats off & congrats to all members for such a wonderful read. Indeed very helpful & refreshing

Abhema

Abhema, Im compelled to stray off-topic too but could not help after reading your post. Ours is a very close knit Community, members have deep ties & the board on the whole is extremely helpful. Best, precise & personalized/customized suggestions are put forward which help both newbies & old timers on the board. Glad you enjoyed the read as much we did.

@BF;

Are you having upcoming New Fiesta sedan in your Mind ?? Till to date...

Its a worthy contender amongst the others.

@NAREN;

You seems to be Serious fan of Linea & your details & explanations are Really not less than the pics or True experience.

smiley32.gif
dr_nishu2010-09-18 20:08:08

Loved Narens compelling review of the Linea: goes to show his love for his car. I think they charge diesels even for consumables. My Elantra had its first three services done at a cost of "0". But heard from a relative who had his Elantra diesel charged for consumables, for the first three services.

For a sedate drive in the city, nothing beats the Ford Fiesta TDCi, that would be my choice for BF's next car. With almost nil turbo lag and great FE to boot. All the Hyundai diesels have enormous lag and are more suited to the open highways than the city. I'd say TD Fiesta diesel and Verna diesel and choose. 

Yes I too liked Naren's review. Agreed, Fiesta is the best for in City usage but Im concerned about Ford's service standards, cost & frequent requirement to change spares. Also, the news of a new Fiesta expected early next year doesn't help matters either.

Verna is not on the list because of huge turbo lag, odd front end shape, poor dynamics. Its also getting a bit old now.

Lancer= out dated    25/100. Fiesta = expect facelift or model change soon. 50/100.  Linea =good. 60/100.Vento = Premium brand ,good. Read autocarindia test drive.65/100.Toyota etios =expect january 2011 launch .                                                                    

So currently the Linea is #1 for you Vento #2 (it needs to prove itself) . The Fiesta is highly outdated and the Verna is yuck ! sorry owner hyundai should have learnt from i20 and given it good interiors .

@BF All I can say is wait for the Vento to prove itself (as it is my pick too currently) or wait for the new Fiesta sedan which might sport a new 1.6lt TDCi engine but service and spares will cost 5-6k but it is anyways lesser than 8-9k for the corolla . Even the santro service cost is from 3.5-4.5k so a mid size sedan will have 5-6 k .

About Linea I can say is if it had a powerful engine a year ago then it would be in my garage right now (me and my dad whenever see a linea say only if it had more power) .I also agree on the plastic bits ,my i20 has 2 grades better plastics and 5time better fit and finish.

BF, DD

Thank you for your valuable comments.

BF,

Regarding service costs, the consumable cost has increased becasue of the Synthetic Oil, Diesel fuel filter with SENSOR. Otherwise I think it would have been very nominal. I do not know the service intervels of Fiesta. Please update me.

Dr nishu,

Thanks for your comments. Once again like to inform that I am not a serious fan of Linea. If I face a problem then I my review would also be as like others. It is not the love for the particular car Linea, I like cars which are better than this, but in this segment at present I thought Linea would be VFM. Whatever I have written in my review are true as I have experienced the same.

My car picture in Kodaikanal as follows.

DD, these pictures of my car were shot at Gemeni Ganesan's old house which has now been converted to a resort. A beautiful place with lovely food. If you want to visit Kodai & stay here PM me(sorry for being off topic).

linea11.jpg

linea1.jpg

lineao.jpg

NAREN642010-09-19 15:27:06

Sreeraj, Nice ratings there!

Rssh, yes Vento if proves itself in due time in the market, should make for the pick of the segment. Fiesta 1.6L will be a performance diesel.

DD, VW will have to strive hard to stay clear of Skodas virtues!

Naren, Earlier Fiestas intervals were 7k kms. Owners would know better what's the current status.

Lovely pics there!

@ All who says Punto/Linea is underpowered

Yesterday had a long drive in my swift & the only car that gave stiff competition to me was a Punto MJD( not the MJD 90). This car easily overtakes me even at over 100kmph, and it was very difficult for me to over take him. Only in some traffic i could manage to overtake him.

So the conclusion, If you want to win in any 200M or 300M race from Signals, don't buy a Punto/Linea. For all other sort of driving, Punto/Linea is as powerful. The In-Gear acceleration in Linea/Punto is so good that you will start to overtake every other car in highways once you get used to its turbo lag. Beyond this lag, its a rocket.

swift is ok till about say 120 . After 120 its not a good idea to push it down more , it doesn't give u the confindence

@bala

by under power we purely mean power/weight , torque/weight ratio, there is no doubt that Fiat makes heavy cars and punto and linea deserved more power and torque than they have. The most annoying thing about them is the immidiate need to downshift in order to overtake at highways. a 1.6 Diesel linea would be a complete package.

A wait for the SX4 diesel is better than a wait for the new fiesta.

@Sarabjeet

Swifts problem is tyres. 185 tyres makes it a joy to drive. I have seen swift easily touching 145+

Linea has got the solidity and the rich look. The car looks a segment above. Space comfort department is better than Festa. Handling not that good but BornFree wont try some Paris-Dakar skills on road. smiley17.gif. I feel linea is the best bet.

Well diesel cars are tricky subject as the bestsellers are those which are not elegant in style and not having good interiors and creature comfort. Well here linea scores and behold as the 1.9 is on the cards (confirmed by sid on cnb show) will give all the reason to smile. Even 1.3 is not bad but it is not for enthusiast. Fiat is delivering the car equalent to Corolla diesel at the price of Fiesta. They just have to work in tandem with Tata dealership (Workshop) i.e. after sales problem esp Paintjob instead of starting a blame game as quoted by sid on ndtv. 

At a standstill because Fiesta is out due to a new one expected early next year. Lancer was cut out on members suggestions.

Linea could have made the cut but for Fiats ways. Many consumers are still not happy with their after sales. Vento was high on the list but VW still has to prove itself & have heard about their high-headed behavior & high prices for spares.

Then on members suggestions decided to wait for SX4 D, new Fiesta D, etc.

There are a lot of launches lined up this & early next year, don't want to miss the action either.