Sorot

Strange Problem in MY Ford Fiesta

I want to ask you about a strange problem in my Ford Fiesta Diesel. Please help me out of this problem. I purchased Ford Fiesta Diesel in January 2008. It met with a minor accident in June,2010. It was running properly. But after one month in August, it showed a strange problem and this problem still exists. While the car running on highway at around 80 kmph in 5th gear, the speedometer of car stops working.Even distance covered kms is not displayed, only ---- displayed in place of digits (image uploaded 1 & 2) and after sometime the car stops running. The engine does not receive any feedback from the accelerator pedal. There is no response from the engine, no matter how hard I press the accelerator pedal. The car slowly deaccelerate from 80 kmph because engine is not receiving feedback from accelerator pedal. To keep the car moving, I turn off ignition key, start the engine again and it receives feedback from the accelerator pedal once only (engine responses only once after restart) and move forward. Again the accelerator pedal does not work and I have to restart the engine again and again to keep the car moving. This procedure runs for 2 or 3 kilometers and then the car automatically repaired from this fault and run properly. It happens usually one time during a trip of 150-200 Kms. Sometimes it does not happen at all.

Due to the problem, I took the car to Ford Workshop in Delhi two months ago. I told them about the problem and strangely they were not sure about any particular problem. They asked me to change a Pump or something like that but they were not sure to solve the problem by this. So I took the car back to home thinking that this problem would probably repaired automatically but I was wrong. This problem still exists in my car.

I have uploaded three photos of the Instrument Cluster first two of them show car in faulty condition and third photo shows Instrument Cluster after car automatically repaired from the fault.

The address of phtos is given below:

http://img40.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dsc00005jet.jpg

Posting the pictures on behalf of Sorot.

dsc00007d.jpg

dsc00009tc.jpg

dsc00005jet.jpg

I guess this is a problem with the ECU. Go to a Ford Service and tell them to check the ECU. It will be checked via a laptop or a computerized unit. Go to a big Ford service centre. If your car is under warranty it will be done for free. If nothing helps, call the service manager and complain.

I think you need to remap the ECU from Ford and ask them to put a Gscan on the ECU to diagnose the problem .I think the problem is only electronic and not mechanical .Best of Luck.

HI Sorot,

I have come across your post on autocar india forum, while searching for solution for the EXACT problem you were facing. After a mionor accident(my 2006 ford fiesta diesel slightly climbed the divider and came back on road with a lil jerk to her) my car was showing a wierd problem as descried by you( race pedal was unresponsive, the figures vanshied and repalced by " - - - -" dashes, and happend only sometimes when on higher gears.

Can you please guide me how you came to a daignosis of this problem and what was the solution. The ford centers near me (pune) are also unable to comprehend this issue.

Did you try reseting the PCM(ECU) unit by diconnecting the battery? did this work for you?

If possible please contact me on when you read this.

Thanks!

Raweesh P

I had a fiat uno petrol . I had the same problem. It is the bit computer or which we say ECU box problem. basically the connection wires gets exchanged and sometimes they get disconnected. so problems do arise. in my case i had to spend 30,000 for it. the ECU box is very complex even by refreshing it sometimes it does not work. Not Just that. You also need to check the chip wires which connects the gas to the engine. there is a plug in connector which is why the engine stopped for Mr Sorot. this same plug in connector is linked to ECU. first when the car's engine starts then this connector is used for it and even for acceleration.