udrrek

Service Dos and Donts & Major Serv

Hey,

I am currently driving a Hyundai Verna. It has run about 53000 Kms. I always give it to the Hyundai Official Service Center for servicing.

Each time the service agent suggests extra things that are not a part of the regular servicing package of Hyundai. He says they are essential. For example this time they did wheel alignment and balancing, and various other things.

Is there a guide as to what is required after what milestone of driving the car?

Sometimes i get a feeling that i am being over charged.

Each car comes with a manual in which all these are usually tabulated.  Unless and until you specifically ask or approve, the service centre is not expected to do either wheel alignment and balancing or the other `various things'. 

Usually, first, the showrooms try to `milk' the customers to the maximum extent possible, like asking and pressurising you to go in for additional services like teflon coatings, rubber coating etc., etc.,  

After the free services, it is the turn of the service centres, which try to do the same.  Offering `must-have' additional services which cost a lot.   These service centres usually charge multiple times and get the job done at the same neighbourhood tyre-shop which has these alignment/balancing equipment.  So, instead of getting these done at the service centres, try to get them done directly.  You save a lot.

Refer the manual of your car for detailed table of services that are required to be taken up on periodical intervals.  And, additionally, ask a senior owner of the similar brand/model car who can share his experience with you.  You can save a lot of money and headache.

All the best.

I am sorry for the low detail provided in the earlier post.

The following labour and services were charged:

1 Throttle body cleaning

2 Fuel injector cleaning

3 Periodic Maintenance Service

4 Brake shoe cleaning

5 Calipher pin greasing

6 Wheel balancing

7 wheel alignment

The following consumables were used:

1 Oil Treatment

2 Engineoil

3 Engine decorbonizer

4 Coolant

5 Battery water

6 Wheel weight

7 Pivot shaft

8 Bumper overslam

9 Filter assy engine oil

10 hose radiator lower (required)

Out of these things what are necessary every 5000 or so kilometres?

1 Throttle body cleaning  YES
2 Fuel injector cleaning  YES
3 Periodic Maintenance Service YES 
4 Brake shoe cleaning
5 Calipher pin greasing
6 Wheel balancing
7 wheel alignment
The following consumables were used:
1 Oil Treatment
2 Engineoil YES
3 Engine decorbonizer
4 Coolant
5 Battery water YES
6 Wheel weight
7 Pivot shaft
8 Bumper overslam
9 Filter assy engine oil YES 
10 hose radiator lower (required)

The above marked wit YES are A MUST for EVERY SERVICE other things may vary according to the condition of the vehicle.

I have a Hyundai Petrol that has run about 55000 Kms in about 4 years. Now I am looking to get a full chech up and over haul done. I have the following problems:

The clutch is a little hard and the gear is a little hard. There are a little scratches on the body.(Nothing major)

Now what kind of major work will this car require from here on out? What is the pros and cons vs holding this vehicle or going for a new one?

I have got the tyres replaced. The car is quite responsive even now. I have no major issues. As for the paint job - If I get a paint job for the entire car it sets me back by about 40k. Hoe will this effect resale when I actually sell the car in about 2-3 years?

Thanks for your time.

@udrrek

Dont woory there are miles to go :-)

You should do a complete check up but overhaul for which part? I dont think an Overhaul is necessary at this point of time, Unless for ur clutch problem or any other such specific problems.

I would not recomment a paintjob if the condition is not too bad jus a good polish will help restore the shine

@udrrek

Dont worry there are miles to go :-)

You should do a complete check up, but overhaul is for which part? I dont think an Overhaul is necessary at this point of time, Unless for your clutch problem or any other such specific problems.

I would not recomment a paintjob, if the condition is not too bad. Just a good polish will help restore the shine.

(mods please del previous post)

Its nothing new My father was easily fooled by MASS into cleaning fuel tank , some FUCON coating for Engine that too in 2nd free  service of our Swift.

Thats why I am going to change my MASS for next service.

check your car manual and correlate  what has to be done and don't get fooled by SA

OFF topic-

@sgiitk - please could you tell me what is FUCON FME coating for engine?SA  said according to my father it was for preventing carbon coating of engine but I don't believe SA.

I have a Hyundai Petrol that has run about 55000 Kms in about 4 years. Now I am looking to get a full chech up and over haul done. I have the following problems:

Get Only its thorough Check up once' date=' don't go for Overhauling, if you're Referring to the Engine Over-haul as this Petrol engine can easily last for more than 1.5lac kms.

Proper Engine Oil, Gear Oil, Coolant & Brake Oil change can set the matters right.

The clutch is a little hard and the gear is a little hard.

Do get it thouroughly Inspected, as Clutch Plates or Pressure Plates might show Wear, due to your Probable Heavy Traffic City driving or Else get its Parts properly Lubricated.

There are a little scratches on the body.(Nothing major)

Hoe will this effect resale when I actually sell the car in about 2-3 years?

Never Go for it..

Untill you wants to Customise it Heavily, Otherwise no need to Re-Paint it & that's just for Minor Scratches, which can be Eradicated by thorough Rubbing & Polishing of your car.

Best Advice: Keep your car's Original Paint intact, as much as you can, even she's full of Minor Scratches.

You'll always get Praise & Bonus Re-Sale value.

guys well just one question if u had a good autorised service station who was average with the work, no cheating of course. but use of oem lubricants and parts would you go to him or an independent garage who u trust for generations but is not able to get the same lubricants/parts as the company gets.

but he (the local garage) gets the parts and lubricants from reputed manufacturers.

what will you do if you are in this situation.

of course the local garage charges ur 25-30% less than A.S.S.

@mdesai; Often the OEM lubes are PSU and are of a far lower quality than what is available outside.

Also, please mind your puchtuation and no u for you.