bluesapphire

VW Jetta's rear windshield broken

A mystery happened today, i dont know how somebody broke my Jetta's rear windshield when it was standing just outside my site. I will post pics afterwards. Also no clue as to how it broke down, my father is suspecting the heat, the temperature is around 33degrees, can the heat play role in it. The whole glass is crushed but is still in place.

This type of incident has never happened with me.

Also should i take this to company or to a chain called Windshield experts. The reason i am asking is the VW dealer here which is also a Hyundai dealer is known to have misplace the parts in even in new Hyundai cars & especially while servicing so i have a fear if the same things happens with my Jetta too. And main concern is the service area which is shared with Hyundai too except for seperate service bays & some partitions.

@BS;

Oh Sir..

1) 33 degrees C isn't a that much high temprature at which Toughened & Laminated glass can break by itself, even nothing happens to the Ordinary Glass at this Temprature fitted at the Window panes of our Homes.

2) Misplacing the Glass of a Car with that of another is a Rare affair, as No two cars in our country today are having Ditto same Front or rear Windshield Glasses, so Rule out that.

3) Another Probable reason being: Your Jetta's Rear Windshiled might have hitted by some flying stone or have been touched by any Truck or Bus, while moving on the Road & might have developed a Small Crack which lead to its full Shattering, further aggravated by High Interior temprature, Shocks & Bumps.

Also try to find out Any marks of hitting or Origin of the Cracking on that Windscreen.  

@ BS, in buldge towards the in side(if so they there might be a hit) ?or  this kind of thing  happened to me in Esteem once , the problem was that the glass cooled down very fast cabin was hot and turned on the AC and drove , in your case it might be that after parking your car , the cabin might be chill and suddenly the glass got heated up. 

Another thing that has come to my mind is - The Rear Defogger. Maybe that has a hand in the glass-shattering.

Post pics please. After having the look at the pics and examining the peripheral body of the glass, some conclusion can be given.

ohhh, that's utter dismay.

IMO, The slow cooling of the cabin and simultaneously rapid heating up of outside portion of the glass, may have lead to the shatter.

A stone could also be a possible cause here.

As driftpunk said, only pics can reveal the true story. You yourself can analyse the pattern of the glass, in which it is spread-up to reach to the cause.

Please post pics, as the experts present here can also share their opinion.

Though i would get 100% claim on glass, the no claim bonus will be gone. The money is not a worry here, such thing with new car is a worry, the defogger was not 'ON', the cabin always remained cool until the car was parked. I dont think heat has anything to do with it, also it was standing under the tree & thus the car was still cool. We to thought of stone but then the major scratch is at the bottom of glass, so any stone would have stayed there or atleast there would have been a scratch at the boot too.

Well i will post pics in few minutes.

@Nishu, i am not worrying about misplacing the glass, the car will atleast stay for 2days with the dealer & thus according to its Hyundai reputation he can replace any parts of the car & which may not come to our notice.

Bring it to Ahmedabad.

Haha, its possible buddy, i am not even driving the car in city limits to let the glass atleast stick to where it is now. Its already making noise, i have a feeling that i may at anytime.

Here are few pics.

DSCN2134Medium.jpg

DSCN2133Medium.jpg

The point below is origin point.

DSCN2125Medium.jpg

here are few pics of corners.

DSCN2130Medium.jpg

DSCN2129Medium.jpg

DSCN2127Medium.jpg

DSCN2128Medium.jpg

UPDATE - I have given the car to the dealer, as Windshield Experts said that VW still dont have provided these parts in the open market & thus you have to go to the dealer only. Will get car tomorrow or day after.

bluesapphire2010-10-19 10:30:10

Looks like an impact to me. See the third picture.Also' date=' call in the windshield experts or whatever. They cost hell of a lot less.

[/quote'] What sort of impact sir???

Also, by seeing the origin, i think its done intentionally because the mark seems of a stone or something while there was nothing on the car's boot nor the scratch of stone like thing on boot.

Arent you in the construction line... these things happen..? some must have dropped from high levels
Well i am, but where the car was standing was far away from my site, near a school which is next to my site, also my site is still in the basement stage so falling something from top doesnt comes into play.

@bluesapphie: I am not a clairvoyant, so cannot answer what caused the impact, but I will say 99.99% (there can always be an act of God) it is an impact. Once I had my windscreen go because of an impact by a pebble, thrown up by a tractor, and not a mark elsewhere.

@BS: It's an impact from the 3rd pic as mentioned by sgiitk. It must have been a stone that glanced of the edge of the windshield without touching the body (be thankful for that). Must be a prankster from the nearby school. It's happened to me too, in my Accent when a stone hit the front shield when I was driving, believe me, I didn't know what happened just heard a thump sound and saw a small crack just at eye level on the driver's side. I didn't change the windshield was driving around for say almost 6 months since it was very small and sold the car with the cracked shield. 

DSCN2125Medium.jpg

After watching this pic, Its now sure that this Glass breakage is due to Hitting, probably due to the Stone.

Same thing happened with My cousin's Swift too, when he was driving behind the Tipper Truck.

Other Reasons seems pretty distant after watching the pics. 
dr_nishu2010-10-19 19:43:02

It is easy to identify impact on glass if you see the picture the point of origin of the crack/s is from the bottom of the windscreen going upwards and sideways.

Either some object has pressed hard against the glass while the boot was being opened or some hard oject has stuck the glass very hard.

my reservation about the impact of some kind of pebble , these are laminated glass and an impact from a pebble alone can't spread it this much.

Still think it could be due to sudden change in temperature and that third pic which is suppected to be pebble hit could be the weaker part of the glass which gave in to the change of temperature.

If it was a pebble which would have hit at high speed and cause this much damage, it would have caused a trough on the inner side of the glass.

Yesterday took the car from dealer. The car is ok now, he charged me 2500 including 1000 for claim charges & rest 50% for sealant & primer.

Just went through the bill & was shocked to know that its windshield including labour i guess costs 24,810 Rs. which is too costly, the front one costs around 14k. Rear has defogger & antenna & thus is expensive.

costs 24' date='810 Rs. which is too costly, the front one costs around 14k. Rear has defogger & antenna & thus is expensive.[/quote']

The rarer the part replaced the more expensive it gets and yours is a German brand.