FuelRunGod

Scorpio Eagle/M-Hawk Test Drive Report

A splendid M-Hawk test drive report FRG. Its the best offering by M&M till date - airbags are sorely missed and when you pay Rs 10 lakhs you expect more safety in addition to the ABS. But still Mahindra must march ahead with this SUV. Saw it on the TV at the Bologna (Italy)Auto Show badged as the Mahindra Goa. The garish tail lights look plasticky and cheap.Can't M&M design better tail lights??

i wonder how much a difference  will the new tech  make on a 4wd....

60kgs less weight ..... the scorpio dont crawl well on 4wd low with less traction... you need to rev up a bit to around 1600 which risks getting bogged down.... more so on an uphill.... the m hawk seems no different.... they never let yu test a 4wd.... handling is still scary no matter wat ur report says... its not confidence inspiring..... its just turned from a compromise to a better compromise.... still a compromise though.

i wonder how much of the fancy electronics will stil; continue to work after a good mud bath or after 20-30k kms.... the tire pressure indicator  is good only if it continues to work thru the life of the vehicle for atleast 2-4 yrs which most buyers wud use.... or else it may jus serve as another sales gimmick.... back end pitches under heavy breaking..... its more like a dancing queen..... its not very high on maintainance though and after sales is fairly good....

thers no way they can increase the space either unless they stretch it like a bolero xxl or somethin.... thers only so much bread you can fit in one box.....unless ud life em sandwiched.... looks are personal issue.

I am considering buying a scorpio but I am not convinced about the high price tag for the mHawk. I care for the new engine and the better handling but do not care for the other bells and whistles. Is there a possibility that M&M might bring the mHawk engine into the lower variants like the Sx and DX? Surprisingly I havent seen too many mHawk's on the road since launch. If the demand for Vlx is slow will M&M consider putting the engine in the lower variants and marginally bumping up the price? I will appreciate your views.

I am considering buying a scorpio but I am not convinced about the high price tag for the mHawk. I care for the new engine and the better handling but do not care for the other bells and whistles. Is there a possibility that M&M might bring the mHawk engine into the lower variants like the Sx and DX? Surprisingly I havent seen too many mHawk's on the road since launch. If the demand for Vlx is slow will M&M consider putting the engine in the lower variants and marginally bumping up the price? I will appreciate your views.

The Pricing is indeed high and also dont expect Mahindra to be Best , though they have improved in thier engine and features , i feel at that price you can simply go in for the Toyota Innova G4 Diesel or the V Diesel , it will be a better buy for you

Cheerssmiley20.gif

its just a matter of time before  you see the current crde engine in a souped up bolero...

mahindra .... to maruti... they all do it...

and honestly thers no point in apying extra for bells and whistles....

unless they are really valuable like a full time 4wd / abs / traction control / vsc...etc instead of tyre guage and temp meters and other fancy gadgets... disco welcome licghts and the follow me home...

most pple in metros live in apartments and honestly they dont need lights to follow them home unless they lived in a villa in the middle of nowhere and everywhere... sadly.... these bells and whistles arent even offered as an option and neither are any special safety features which in a vehicle like scorpio( the dancing queen) at 100+ speeds will be a real life saver for the occupants.

and yes.. on a very honest note... the mahindra scorpio  doesnt offer anything more than street  presence.... and for the price  the innova g4/V is surely  worth buying unless you want 4wd . thers nothing the innova cant do better than the scorpio  in 2wd on the road and maybe even off it... and when i say toyota reliability ...  trust me.... its  worth every rupee.

ok guys...let me put it this way...i was driven around in the m_HAWK wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy before it was released....even before FRG got his hands on one...infact we went from bombay to pune in it....and let me confirm...NO INNOVA or for that matter NO CAR could keep up with the blistering speed that the hawk had..and it is MINDBLOWING on braking...believe me..we have been in a few tough spots ourselves....and where do i start about its handling...it is miles ahead of any other similar product...and yae that INCLUDES the innova..i have driven both and the innovas performance is nothing to write home about than you very much....my verdict...buy it...

oh also...we just came from indore to mumbai in 12 hours (700 km)....in a hawk..that includes lunch brake and frequent stops to photograph junked fiats along the way....

Comparing an older Innova to a latest Hawk is futile, wait till Innova releases its newer variant. Knowing Toyota it would not be a high power product rather than a well rounded product. Don't know what you are ranting about, last week I tested Hawk, some on and mostly off and trust me when I say, the handling is margianlly better off road but it still can't be considered a true off roader. I have serious doubt about the life of the Hawk engine being that its smaller in displacement. I would wait for Mahindra to weed out the bugs by next year before buying it. Its not about speed, its about overall package and the Innova is still better in terms of ride, handling and seating. Just replace the OEM with Yokohama C drive in Innova and you have a package that will go for years. I have seen many high mileage Innovas but very few high mileage Scorpios. Most taxi drivers here in Punjab swear by the Innova. No one is buying Scorpios, the customers don't want them, neither do the drivers. Most are fed up with nagging unreliability issues whereas average Innova goes up to 100,000 kilometers with hardly any maintenance.Gurkha2007-12-30 04:07:58

@Cyrus I didn't get better handling in the mHawk its just marginal .The power 5bhp more is use less .They should have tuned it to 130bhp atleast .I say go for the normal Scorpio. If not then Safari VX 4X2 is also considerably good buy.

@ rssh: u r right in sayin tat d mHawk is just 120 bhp. but hav a look at its's acceleration, fuel efficiency and in-gear timings. its way better than the innova and safari 2.2, so d engine is indeed very good.

i hav driven d mHwak n believe me guys, its much more refined, smooth n driveable than d innova. im sayin this cos i own a innova. at high speeds, i dint feel any handling deficit in d mHawk.

@ gurkha: hey buddy, i own a 2.6 turbo scorpio GLX (2003 model) n its odometer shows 1,67,000... we have had no reliability issues till now. only d routine services, change of brake pads n servicing of fuel pump. while my innova which has run only 23,000 km has already visited d service centre twice, n its not for routine services!!!

@ rssh: u r right in sayin tat d mHawk is just 120 bhp. but hav a look at its's acceleration' date=' fuel efficiency and in-gear timings. its way better than the innova and safari 2.2, so d engine is indeed very good.

i hav driven d mHwak n believe me guys, its much more refined, smooth n driveable than d innova. im sayin this cos i own a innova. at high speeds, i dint feel any handling deficit in d mHawk.

?

@ gurkha: hey buddy, i own a 2.6 turbo scorpio GLX (2003 model) n its odometer shows 1,67,000... we have had no reliability issues till now. only d routine services, change of brake pads n servicing of fuel pump. while my innova which has run only 23,000 km has already?visited d service centre twice, n its not for routine services!!!
[/quote']

A one off Scorpio running for over 160,000 is as much of a miracle as the Indica running for over 200,000 with no service. Every Scoprio owner I know here and I know quite a lot due to my association with 4WD outings here have not had their Scorpio last over 80,000 miles and in the span of those miles, many issues have cropped up. As FRG says, Innova is super reliable and you can ask any of the owners here and they will swear by the fact that Innova is reliable. I also know someone who owns both Scorpio and Innova, his Innova has now covered 120,000 miles and has been taken to Leh, his Scorpio has covered 43000 miles and has given him nagging issues, almost all Scorpio engines have oil consumption problems from start, his developed it at 10,000km. Its futile to compare Innova which is a well researched product from world leader Toyota and is sold in huge numbers across Asia. In fact Innova is extremely popular in SE Asia, the same D series engine is used in Toyota's reputable Hi Lux, its not about power, in that case Toyota can wipe the floor of both Mahindra and Tata but its about reliability. The Innova feels quite peppy and very refined compared to Scorpio which still feels like a modified Jeep chassis being called for duty beyond its capabilities.

yup, even i believe tat toyotas r more reliable than mahindras....

bit i genuinely feel tat d scorpio's engine is much better than d innova. innova does not have tat grunt or feel which will bring a smile on d driver's face. d scorpio has that. yes, if u r a back seat person, no better than d innova!

@Raj and Gurkha one has his own feeling about his car relaibility can be told only by the owner over a period of time ,lets not make other believe what they have not seen.

I agree that the scorpio's engine with its short gearing makes it a delight to drive especially in the city. Its relatively refined as well.

The Innova's engine is a tad noisy and not as peppy as the Scorp's, but its no slouch either, it makes good work of both the city and highway. Its a very well sorted out car, unlike the scorpio which suffers in the ergonomics and space departments. Everytime I drive an Innova, I want to buy one, its really that good.

FRG

The point is that average stats show Innova outlasts Scorpio......recently I had a chance to sit in a Innova with 150,000 km and there was nary a rattle from it, not had the interiors disintegrated and the engine felt as good as new, this was a Taxi as well so I rest my case. The suspension felt taut and firm over the hilly areas of Himachal. The driver was also the owner who had 5 more Innovas, he has just sold of last of his Scorpios for the Innova. According to him, no one in Punjab wishes to hire a Scorpio and the upkeep of the Scoprpio fleet was may more expensive than Innova. He said that apart from engine issues, the high mileage Scoprios suffer from many other durability issues including gear box, diff, interiors and suspension issues. Lastly the Innovas return far better mileage than Scorpios.

tats wat, innova r 4 taxi owners... hahahaha, just kiddin buddy... hey Mr. gurkha, dont get so furious mannnn...!!! y r v fighting like kids? on wat point r v debating whn i hav already accepted tat innova is more reliable. but im happy 2 c tat thr r many more like me who thnks scorp is more enjoyable 2 drive... of course, Mr. FRG, u r rite in sayin tat d scorpio is not as spacious n its ride n handling is not tat well sorted out...

well, Mr. gurkha, u dont like a scorpio, i humbly accept tat. but i wud like 2 remind u tat all i said was tat d scorp's ENGINE is much better, which even Mr. FRG will agree. as far as reliability goes, i said about my experience n u said abt urs. but ya, i still do agree, toyotas r more reliable although my xperience was quite different!!!

raj 5004,

No fighting, just counterpoint. If you like acceleration, you would like the Dicor 2.2 better, the Scorpio may feel stronger but the shorter gearing makes it run out of breath and feel weak on top end.

Innova maybe for Taxi owners but thats only because it has totally dethroned Scoprio smiley2.gif

@Raj if you want refinement and are long revver then test drive Safari 2.2lt once more its good for highway and to me it gives more road presence than Scorpio which has a horrible swing ride .FRG has old Safari so he can comment on reliability.

some one recently said that no one wants to buy the scorpio....hmm thats y they sell 4000 a month....some one please tell me how many innovas they sell a month...

i still stand by my argument saying that the scorpio is the best suv around...if only it were more spacious...ohh and...the scorpio definately is faster in acceleration that the safari...no doubt about that...