FuelRunGod

Scorpio Eagle/M-Hawk Test Drive Report

some one recently said that no one wants to buy the scorpio....hmm thats y they sell 4000 a month....some one please tell me how many innovas they sell a month...

i still stand by my argument saying that the scorpio is the best suv around...if only it were more spacious...ohh and...the scorpio definately is faster in acceleration that the safari...no doubt about that...

Somone tell me how many 800 and Alto are sold, going by that logic, its the best car on earth. smiley1.gif

Btw, the educated relatively knowledgeable south accounts for 37% of Innova sales alone.

SUV is the last place you want speed in. If thats the case, get yourself the Mercedes G600 V12. At 440bhp, it has enough horses to beat out all including many cars.Gurkha2007-12-31 14:31:38

i woudnt mind a MERCEDES G WAGEN any day......and if someone offered you one woudnt you take it??

Not the petrol.........diesel yes but then I would take the Toyota FJ as well.

@ gurkha & rssh: no buddy, u r wrong... d mHwak is faster than the 2.2 140 bhp safari in both acceleration n in-gear timings. n d mHwaks's top speed is 152 kph compared 2 safari's 156, not much of a difference here 2 since most owners never max their cars. i own a 2.2 safari n also tested d mHawk n believe me, i found d scorpio more enthusiastic. d 2.2 safari has no life below 2000 rpm which is a chore in d city.

n about d sales, maruti 800 n alto sells cos they r cheap. scorpio, safari n mHawk r in d same price range. so if d scorp n innova sells more, it means people like these cars more, but ya, i agree tat it does not giv a true indication as how gud d car is. but manufacturers make cars 2 sell, isnt it??

@ rssh: d new scorpio is almost as stable as d safari, ya, it cant b compared 2 d innova. but isnt toyota charging 2 lakhs more 4 it? its only in d 3rd row of d mHawk tat u feel sharp bumps cos it lies behind d rear axle.

4 d record:

0-100 timig in secs:

mHwak: 14.8

safari 2.2: 15.16

innova: 17.5

this despite of d fact tat d safari is 140 bhp compared 2 scorp's 120 bhp.

20-80 in 3rd gear:

mHawk: 12.13 secs

2.2 safari: 13.76 secs

innova: 14.39 secs

40-100 in 4th gear:

mHawk: 14.61 secs

2.2 safari: 15.96 secs

innova: 19.5 secs

fuel efficiency city/highway:

mHawk: 10.6/13.6

2.2 safari: 8.7/13.1

innova: 10.3/12.7

so doesnt it beat all its competitors atleast with its engine?? i know d engine isnt everythng in a car, but right 4m d start, im 4 only d scorp's engine. i know its not spacious, has a bumpy ride. but 2 me, it looks awesome, kicks dirt on d rear cars whn i press d acc (whichever gear im in) n gives me tat intimidating drive so tat i can scare anythng lower than a BEST bus !!!

@ gurkha?& rssh: no buddy' date=' u r wrong... d mHwak is faster than the 2.2 140 bhp safari in both acceleration n in-gear timings. n d mHwaks's top speed is 152 kph compared 2 safari's 156, not much of a difference here 2 since most owners never max their cars. i own a 2.2 safari n also tested d mHawk n believe me, i found d scorpio more enthusiastic. d 2.2?safari has no life below 2000 rpm which is a chore in d city.

n about d sales, maruti 800 n alto sells cos they r cheap. scorpio, safari n mHawk r in d same price range. so if d scorp n innova sells more, it means people like these cars more, but ya, i agree tat it does not giv a true indication as how gud d car is. but manufacturers make cars 2 sell, isnt it??

?

@ rssh: d new scorpio is almost as stable as d safari, ya, it cant b compared 2 d innova. but isnt toyota charging 2 lakhs more 4 it? its only in d 3rd row of d mHawk tat u feel sharp bumps cos it lies behind d rear axle.

?

?
[/quote']

I have taken Scorpio latest on roads of Siliguri and Innova on Leh, the Innova felt way better.

ya, tats fine, u feel d innova better... but when comparing, v cant debate on our likes n dislikes rite?? v hav 2 put down real facts...

n mahindra engines r always reliable buddy... ours is a const company n v still hav many of tat 2 door mahindras (DP series) which has easily crossed 2-3 lakhs marks with rarely any engine trouble.

As a ex Mahindra Grand Armada owner and having seen graveyards of Mahindras specially with the Pukegot engine I beg to differ. The DP is among the most reliable, the older vintage Perkins based engine is low power but far more reliable and that was the reason Mahindra picked it for the Scorpio project and not the DP. As for reliability of Mahindra engines, in general, almost all the Scorpios sold in Australia and SA have had engine failures after crossing the 80,000 kilometer mark. The DP engine is another story, it has aluminum head and prone to overheating and pistons going oval. The cam rides on bushings rather than bearing and that takes a toll on the tappets which go bad in high mileage use. The JEEP Thrills group has many Mahindra owners, Arkaprava Dutta is the mod there and he owns a MM550, with all his maintenance, his engine needed overhaul at 70,000 mark and its normal for other Mahindras to go at lesser mark.

Said and done, futile to compare world number one Toyota with its phenomenal research and background to Mahindra in any sense. Next thing you will tell me is that the Scorpio is better than Land Crusier.

wat, engine failures at 80,000 kms?!!?!! tats strange buddy... newayz, v r back 2 d same topic. my dear fren, whn i hav already agreed tat d innova is more reliable, lets pls leave d reliability factor behind..!! v hav already debated on this n i hav agreed tat d innova is better in d reliabilty aspect. but then i moved on 2 performance n fuel efficiency of d engine.

i quoted d figures n again u bought d reliabilty of d engine into picture..!! well, i thnk mahindra engines r more reliable n u vouch 4 d toyota. but this is a factor tat depends on person 2 person n his experience with his vehicle. it cant b finalised by a few individuals.

yes, 4 me a scorpio is better than a land cruiser. u know y? cos toyota wont offer me d land cruiser for 10 lakhs!!! look buddy, whn comparing vehicles, v also hav 2 look at its price range.

n again, if u r askin my choice, i'll still vote d scorp than d innova cos i feel more secure in a scorp than an innova. i like its tough build n mean looks. but of course, as i said, lets leave individual preferences behind....
FuelRunGod2008-01-01 12:56:55

@raj you only said that people don't go into max speed and the same people don't revv their car too much .Due to lighter chassie Scorpio is fast but if it had safety features then it might be a different story.

Toyota engines are reliable period, Mahindra engines are not. This is not up to personal experience, this is industry trend and fact. Suggest you get down and dirty and visit wholesale motor mech place and ask the mechanics about reliable engine, you would see the consensus being OM616 on the Trax and Toyota's Qualis and Innova. Industry trends also indicate the same.

As for Scorpio being better than land Cruiser for Rs.10L, your logic is now clear to the entire forum. Its the most ludicrous statement I have heard so far. Its not about price, its not about pick up, its about reputation and Toyota is in different league alltogether than Mahindra, agree or not.

@ gurkha: im myself an automobile engineer. i have worked with both mahindra and toyota cars as well as honda. so i do know the pros & cons of atleast these companies and their vehicles. and again & again & again i am saying the same thing, i know toyotas are reliable.

yes, i do agree that toyota is a more reputed company. but where have i denied that till now?!! n it is about price buddy, if i had the money, i would go for the land cruiser or maybe the hummer or cayenne. i feel the scorpio is the best at this price range which is in my budget. ya, n i know, toyotas are more reliable !!!

@ rssh: by performance, i dont mean its top speed, i am more interested in its acceleration and FE.

no, i dont mean a powerful engine. i mean a faster, refined and efficient engine.

and about reliabilty of the engine goes, i dont really agree with you buddy, with my experience of 2 scorpios and many mahindras, i feel mahindra engines are very reliable. yes, i wont compare it with a toyota for obvious reasons.

compared to the safari, its way much ahead. whatever be the reason, be it the shorter gearing or less kerb weight of the scorpio, in the final analysis, the scorpio leads ahead of both its competitors. and not many will disagree that the scorpio engine is very reliable, not in comparison with any car. this is the reason i said the scorpio engine is better.

Your experience is defintely not the norm, not is it the industry standard in any way and in terms of refinement, the ancient Perkins based CRDE has a long way to go over Daihatsu built Toyota D4.

The Safari is better in terms of complete package, ride, space look etc, both are unreliable so that factor notwithstanding. There is nothing to agree about Scoprio engine's reliability except for your adamant argument in this issue. Facts speak otherwise.

no buddy, my experience is quite normal. if you are an autocar india reader, they have rated the 2.2 safari's engine more than the innova in terms of refinment. n in the latest issue, the scorpio is said to be more refined than even the safari. you may check out. also i went to test drive the mHwak in my innova and we compared the engine side by side. the difference in NVH was noticeable. i am not partial to the scorpio buddy.

yes, the safari is better in terms of space and ride but lets not discuss the looks. its our perspecive, i like the scorpio though. and i am really not being adamant. in your view, a scorpio's engine is not reliable. but my experience says it is. why should i accept this fact only because you think so? when i hav had no problems with the scorpio's engine...............

Don't accept it, accept the industry norm, no Scorpio engine has reliabilty like Toyota in any case and neither does Mahindra. Are you aware that unlike the venerable Gypsy in the military, the MM550 has to be phased out much earlier, usually under 60,000km due to severe reliability issues faced by the military. From failed engines to busted differentials. In extreme conditions till today, the ancient relic Jonga is being used along with the Gypsy which was never meant for any kind of military duty.

Okay enough. If you want to discuss the pros and cons of the safari 2.2 and the scorpio mhawk. Do it in a seperate thread. This is a test drive thread of the mhawk and not which car is better than which.

FRG
FuelRunGod2008-01-01 14:23:15

ok wait buddy, lets end this debate please, before things turn ugly. i dont wanna fights like kids in a public forum....!!!

for you, toyota is the best and mahindra is crap, i humbly accept it.

for me, scorpio's engine and looks rocks, innova's space and reliabilty and safari's ride comfort tops.

is that fine?