paul.d1

"Poor" man's SUV in 2011?

Hi friends,

Am a newbie in this forum as a member....what I mean by the subject of my post is that all the proper SUV's in India are priced above 15 lakhs except the MUV's like Innova, Xylo etc which makes it beyond the reach of the average car buyer. Only Scorpio and Safari is available around the 10 L price range and both of which are now showing their age. So, is any manufacturer going to bring in a SUV in the 10 L bracket in the near future which would make it "affordable" for a lot many SUV enthusiasts like me...if not...then probably we'd have to be content with enviously gazing at parked SUV's and longing for one.smiley19.gif

@ Paul: I think you are a little 'unfortunate'; even our homegrown brands (Tata & Mahindra) are going north of 15 lakhs, with the Aria and W201. Theres however news of some low priced SUV's from M&M in the ACI write up; however when it's going to be launched is anybody's guess. Give the Bolero, Sumo Grande Mk II or even the base Safari 4X2 a look. These are the poor man's SUV at present.

Well...yeah...I guess you are right...but then these are mostly run as taxis..I guess one should also wait till the new gen Safari or Scorpio is launched...anybody has ay idea whe that would be?

We have MUVs which has potential to be tagged as SUVs but manufacturer's approach towards those vehicles is not to develop brand and to offer consumers something more but it seems they want to earn extra penny by offering only basic facilities.

From above I am pointing towards Sumo Grande MKII, Mahindra Bolero, Maruti Gypsy etc... Even Mahindra's other vehicles also has lots of potential to be developed as poor men's lifestyle vehicle and they have ready example from "JEEP" even M&M takes out 30% of interior and exterior cues from JEEP it will be a successful SUV on Indian Roads,

2007-jeep-wrangler-4drs.jpg

I think for a 'poor man' SUV at 10-12 lakhs with all the world class features and FWD, one can always look at the used car market. Its not always u have to buy a new one isn't it?

Say a 2007 Pajero and used Captiva all fall in 10-12 lakh bracket in the used car market.

The Skoda Yeti was expected in the range of 10-12 lakhs, and Santa fe was expected around Rs. 15 lakhs, but the huge rush and overwhelming success of Toyota Fortuner has guided the their manufacturers to place yeti above 15L and Santa Fee above 20 L. Both the vehicles dosen't worth their launched price.

Mahindra's latest acquisition of Korean based SSangyong Motors has led to some significant decisions.

They will bring in the latest Korando SUV developed for the home as well as the international markets.

The SUV could be priced at around 12 lakhs, if Mahindra introduces some loacalisation.

7033616cms.jpgrahulgupta31012010-12-09 09:39:03

A 10L SUV has a wide range of selections with the MUV's (Wanna be SUV) too..

The Maruti Gypsy HT/ST

Mahindra Thar CRDe and MDi

Mahindra Bolero (Di, SLE, SLX, VLX)

Premier Rio BS IV

Mahindra Scorpio (Dx, Slx, Vlx)

Mahindra Xylo

Tata Safari Ex 4X2

Tata Sumo Grande

@ Paul: I think you are a little 'unfortunate'; even our homegrown brands (Tata & Mahindra) are going north of 15 lakhs' date=' with the Aria and W201. Theres however news of some low priced SUV's from M&M in the ACI write up; however when it's going to be launched is anybody's guess. Give the Bolero, Sumo Grande Mk II or even the base Safari 4X2 a look. These are the poor man's SUV at present.

[/quote']

The Bolero (4X4) with the old Peugeot XD3P (2498 cc) engine was a gem in the pre Scorpio days.I have used this for very long distance runs and the reliability of this engine is top class. It can run all day long at 80-90 kmph without any problems. The NVH levels were also quite acceptable for what it was.And the non-CRDi engine would deliver 12kmpl on highways.

Sadly , the engine has not been available in the newer Boleros, ever since  the BS II norms were enforced. Now a days the noisy and crude DI diesels are fitted to the Boleros and they do well as taxis.The Bolero has acquired a taxi image lately.

Mean to say that was really a poor man's SUV.I think Mahindra should tap this segment low end SUV segment making the Bolero available with a sporty engine for private users.

The Mahindra Thar soft top has a totally different clientele who may love off roading or moving in town on a MUV with macho looks.

anjan_c20072011-01-13 14:40:27