Mr. Spock

Scoop - Gen 2 swift in Delhi

HR-26-BD-7950 was a diesel swift as per our earlier observations. Now we can see alloy wheels(earlier spy pics had only steel wheels), rear wiper and defogger, wider tyres, also note a camouflage on badging(may be DDiS) on the left fender. We can expect an ZDi this time. Btw did anyone go through the feb issue of ACI?

Today, I read the ACI report on new Suzuki Swift. Although tested car was UK spec one but following salient points shall be applicable to Indian version also:

1. Evolutionary design has made new Swift even more beautiful (not by much mind you). However untrained eyes need to be careful to spot the differences.

2. Rear seat space has increased as wheelbase has been increased by 50mm.

3.At 204 litre capacity, boot space remains a area of concern.

4. Dashboard design is neater and more functional but cabin quality has not improved by much.

5.Ride and handling improved considerably. Feels more planted and confident now.

6.Suzuki may price this model aggressively and provide goodies like start -stop button & Bluetooth connectivity.

@nishu - I cannot give you exact location of these test mules as most Delhi looks very similar due to similar Flyover designs , road , grade separator.What I can tell you is that the car is registered By MSIL in Gurgoan close to its factory in Gurgoan proper( Gurgoan residents chip in) not Manesar.The car is being tested near west Delhi as it is close to Gurgoan.

I don't think Maruti will bring ZDI variant with all features as ZXI some things like Passenger Airbag might be missing as the cost of launching ZXI variant is less compared to ZDI variant. Also Maruti provides certain features in certain markets so any comment is premature. Lets wait for Budget 2011 , which I think might increase the cost of cars due to increase in excise duty  to 12% for small cars and green tax on Diesel cars might be imposed.

So IMO, Maruti will see the budget and launch variants according to it, even upgrades like VVT might take place only 2- 3 years after launch.Lets see what the budget has in "store" for us - The Car lovers. I will comment only when Maruti comes out with details, lets hope for the Best

I don't understand runining test mules for months. This is tried and tested model and already launched in European markets.

Is it some kind of tactics of Manufacturer to clear old stock at Dealers and agreement done with Vendor as local content as know of New shape swift is going to be high. Another reason could be Suzuki must have given blue prints of parts to their sselected date and have asked them to clear old stock and start supplying parts for new shape by this ..'X' date. that is why world's largest market of Suzuki i.e. India is getting step brother treatment.

Indian road conditions are different. They  have to change the settings, suspension and various other parameters and then check its performance. There is also the question of engine remapping fr performance and efficiency.

That is why testing goes on for a long time.

Rahul If you see carefully the test mule there are no electronic meters attached inside or outside of the car unlike if you see any western test mule lot of wires & gauges are visible to capture real time data.

...If you see carefully the test mule there are no electronic meters attached inside or outside of the car unlike if you see any western test mule lot of wires & gauges are visible to capture real time data.

That type is testing is for Product development & Calibration, usually done when product is in Developmental stages & that's too depends on the type of desired Testing Conditions, like Snow covered areas, Hilly terrains, Autobahns & Expressways. Even Tata Aria have gone through such Rigurous testing in UK by their Tata R&D Centre, UK. Similarly Xylo also have gone through such kind of Rigurous testing at Leh-Ladakh region.

Since this New Swift have already undergone Above sort of Testing in UK, So What this Swift is undergoing here is its Fine Calibration tests like Ground Clearance, Suspension, Build Quality, Fuel Efficiency & for other Real-Time testing types.

So probably Not much Visible Gadgetry needed for this.  
dr_nishu2011-02-11 16:52:53

This time around, Suzuki should go feature rich: I would expect:

- Keyless entry

- Push button start

- Steering adjustable for reach

- ABS, Airbags in Diesel(variant)

- FE display

Cars in the segment already have these features & soon could become a norm. Suzuki should not just bank on previous gens. success but give this car a separate character & features is the best thing to differentiate because looks/design, etc are a carry over.