AMG1

The most popular car colour

DuPont has rolled out its annual Automotive Color Popularity Report, and it looks like the long-reigning king may be under threat from a new foe. Silver held the most popular color title for seven years until 2007, when it was dethroned by the likes of white and white metallic. That trend carried over for 2008, but in 2009, silver took its place in the spotlight once again. Now it looks like black may be staging a comeback.

This year, of all the cars sold around the world, 26 percent went home with a silver paint job, but 24 percent rolled out of the factory with a black coat.

20101209_063357_05-dupont.jpg

In India, White dominates with 29% followed by Silver at 24. Brown/Beige has a popularity of 11% while grey is at 9% and Black, blue, red and green stand between 8% and 3% while Yellow/Gold is at a miniscule 2% of the total which makes it the least popular color.

Meanwhile for the US, white, white pearl and grey soaked up just 16 percent of all cars sold in 2010. DuPont says that black's popularity is largely propelled by the color's success in markets outside of the U.S., where noir doesn't quite have the same swagger as elsewhere. In fact, in North America, white retained its popularity with a three percent lead over black and a four-percent jump over silver.

Metallic Silver or Black!! I just love the color black in cars. However, the scratches on black cars are heart-breaking. So I have both of my cars- A-Star and WagonR in silver. Even though I made my sister buy her SUV in Black.. Looks amazing!!

The different products of same car brand may have different popularity in colour. For example Maruti swift sells more in red colour than white or any other, however maruti 800 sold more in white colour than any other colour.

At the overall outset the white, silver and light colours are more popular than any dark colours. The shine of white, silver and light colours is little effected with time and hairline scratches are not prominent as they appears in dark colours. Dark colours looks sexy when they are new but with time there are drastically effected and looks ugly rater than light colours.

As mentioned by @ singhji1977, color choice varies from model to model. Cocktail green (metallic) which looked exciting in Beat & good in Figo may look horrendous in Swift. Following is list of my personal favorite:

1.Beat: Green

2.Swift: White.

3.Polo: Red.

4.Figo: Metallic grey.

5.i20: Maroon/White.

6. Punto: White/Azure/Maroon.

7.Linea: Azure/Maroon.

One tip was given by somebody: Cars with curves looks better in light shades while cars with sharp or prominent edges looks better in dark shades. 

My color to car quotion:

1. Beat: Red

2. Fabia: White

3. Vento: white

4. Figo: Green

5. BMW : That trademark dark blue

6. Polo: Red

7. Spark: Green

8. Fiesta: Blue of S variant only(others look bad on fiesta)

9. Cruze: Metallic Blue

10. i20: Maroon/cool blue