Sign in to follow this  
dineshzma116

TIPS:Getting a deal on "Used Cars"

Some Tips For Getting A Great Deal On A Used Car

You can get an excellent deal on a used car with a lot of life left in it if you're willing to put some effort into the search process and take a few precautions along the way. Here's what you do..

You can get an excellent deal on a used car with a lot of life left in it if you're willing to put some effort into the search process and take a few precautions along the way. One of the main keys to getting an excellent deal on a used car is to buy from a party more interested in getting rid of or replacing the used car than interested in making a profit off it. Most of the time getting an excellent deal on a used car means not buying from a used car dealer, except when the dealer has had a particular car on the lot for a very long time.

Tip #1: Consider Used Cars From Rental Agencies

A lot of people recommend not buying a used car from rental agencies. They believe people who rent cars treat them poorly. But, that may not be good advice. While renters have been known to treat rental cars poorly, it does not happen often. Further, rental agency used cars' engines are usually maintained better than privately owned cars as they are put through constant maintenance during use.

Tip #2: Look Online For Used Cars

The used cars that you see advertised in the newspaper are a small sample of the number of used cars available throughout the  INDIA. This is mainly due to geographical limitations. Newspapers and other periodicals with classified ads serve a market within limited geography. Search for used cars online at sites.. You will likely find a better deal on a great used car since you have many more from which to choose.

Tip #3: Get A Vehicle History Report

If you are buying a used car, you must get a history report on that vehicle. If you fail to get the history, you could be buying a car that has any number of serious issues that could come back to haunt you. This is the only way to find out if a car has been in a major accident, sustained irreparable damage due to flooding, frame damage, leaks, etc.

Tip #4: Consider Buying From A Private Party

Many people buy used cars from car dealers. But, there are many great deals waiting in the driveways of private sellers. Often, you can get a better deal by buying a used car from a private party than a dealer because there is no middleman involved in the transaction. That way, you will know the history of the car, its true value and any room you may have to negotiate.

Finally, don't be hesitant to pay a mechanic to look over the car for you before you make your purchase decision. The mechanic may not see everything, but he will be able to pick out things you wouldn't pick out. A clean bill of health from a mechanic is not a guarantee, but it is really the best way to certify that you have gotten an excellent deal on a used car.

-Dinesh

(always the racer wins atlast)

I refrain from all the above. I want peace of mind while buying a second hand car more than anything else. I can't trust a general public or a fly by night dealer. My choice would be, buy from a reputed guy. When I started my hund, I was willing to pay more to a reputed guy. I searched only at places like FirstChoice, TSM, Jain & TrueValue.

By doing this, we may not end up getting victimesed to a lemon or stolen or some other problematic vehicle.

@bala: I had occasion to look at some TrueValue cars and found them too expensive for what they are. Also, there are stories of True Value not being that true - esp. in terms of clocking. Trust your own judgement, and get a good mechanic involved if you must. If you are buying a 4L car, and pay 15% extra for a dealer, just think how much has to be wrong to cost Rs.60,000 to fix. 

I agree Truevalue is costly but for its cost, you are getting warranty & free services. I feel, we can get good deal in True value too.

In my hunt, I came across a Mint conditioned OHC Vtec for reasonable price, but I was too doubtful on the purchase, where as while buying Swift from TSM, I was certain that the car will be trouble free and it worked.

How to handle a Used car dealer

There maybe three situation when you want to face them

1)You want to exchange your vehical for another used one.

2)You want to just buy a used vehical

3) when you want to sell your car (not advisable unless on commision bases or u want to get rid of your vehical quicky) 

Before jumping on to these topic let me tell you never hesitate to give your offer to a dealer , if you think the asking price is not worth , let him know and give your offer only AFTER INSPECTION is done.

It is advisable to deal with these dealers with cash/ or loan if there is significant amount of difference in price compared to a new vehical.Other wise the interest on loan will make buying a new car more sensible option.

*Things to do before buying a vehical

In used car market , people never buy a car which they have in mind. They are lured by the low price and genrally go for a segment above they had thought about. So while checking out cars which every you like do the following things:

+ Note down the asking price

+ Drive the car , check AC and other stuff

+ Km's it has run (chances are that they are tampered)

+ Number of owners

+ Any accidents/ paint jobs (take along a friend/mechanic if you can)

+ Mechanical work done on the car

+ Check the tyres , they tell alot about the car

+ Insurace - comprehensive or third party

+ Hypothecation cancellation

After doing the above, ask the dealer for time. You don't have to rush there are other better offers waiting for you.

Go home and contact the dealer/ surf the net. Find out the new price/any facelifts/changes (like the new swift has all new 1.2Ltrs engine)/ discounts and goodies available. These help in bargaining.

Now comes the time to do some hardwork. Go around the town and start searching for the same car and see if you can get a better offer.

Caution: don't go to the same locality where your dealer is located as they all are like brothers, they'll pass on the information to the dealer you had previously gone (this will show that you are despriate for the car and he might not come down on bargaining)

If you find a good price elsewhere then compare the car or go to the dealer that is giving you the best price/ vehical.

Situation 1: You want to exchange your vehical for another used one.

First rule to remember here is, Never let the dealer think that he is doing a favour to you by buying your car, it is his job to buy and sell you are giving him business. Infact in exchange your always go a segment higher , so you are doing him a favour by buying a big car which are termed as "dead investments" by these dealers as they move slowly.

You own your car and you have all the right to ask for your price , but try to keep it at market rates smiley2.gif

In an exchange its give and take so if the dealer is devaluing your car , you can do the same to the dealer. for eg.

lets say  you went to buy an 2007 CRV which is going for around 11.50/12L

and you want to sell your 2007 Swift VXI which goes around for 3.30/3.60L.

now during the deal if the dealer asks 12L for his CRV and 3L for your Swift, don't get annoyed play smart. Quote the dealer in this way

" You take my Swift and i'll pay you 7.75L for CRV " 

This sure does clip their wings , along with few dialogue's like "tumhari gaadi sona aur hamari jadi pathar ? "

now you can start your bargaining, and give him a final quote from which you won't go up and tell him about it. Give him time to think and tell him to get back to you if he is interested.

You'll recieve a call , how wouldn't you ? You are paying him money

At this time he'll try to squeez 10-20K more, so it shall depend if you are willing to go up slightly or not. Best thing to do is settle at half the amonunt he is asking for on terms like he does the polishing and tounch up you require or any other small work you can squeez in smiley2.gif.

Before handing him the money do take another test drive too check if the work you have said is done or not.

Maintain good relation with that particular dealer, he might come in handy when you decide to buy another car or sell.

Will post other situations l8er, hope this would be of some help.

@dinesh

well down in south a car holds its resale value , Even FIAT , things are different. A 2002 Palio S10 would fetch 60-75K here in Mumbai (good condition) , the same car down south would fetch you around 1L+.

But if you purchase the new car, it will be cheaper in chennai comparing to Mumbai. The angle of peoples mind are diff in both the cities dude. In mumbai, peoples will be jumping from car A to car B after certain period of using it. But chennai, a person will use the car till some major prob raises or he is in apetite of buying or upgrading into next car. Also financial status of each city is different.

-dinesh

(always the racer wins atlast)

None of the point as stated by Dinesh Zma is one of the critical factors in considering a used car. They may be one of the component. Buying a car from a rented agency is something new. I am listening this for the first time.