Sign in to follow this  
sham

weird noise when I brake(Not screeching)

Hi all ,

I own a Punto(mjt) and from a very long time I'm hearing a 'thud' noise coming from the right front when I brake.

Its not always that I hear this noise and reproducing this is proving to be a challenge..

I've taken my car a million times to the dealers and yet not once when the mechanic sits with me this noise occurs..

Here is the basic description.

Approaching a depression on the road(relatively big mud puddles) fast or slow If i brake then I "Sometimes" feel like someone threw a stone at the under chassis and i can feel that when i put my foot on the accelerator/brake.

This happens when i turn the wheel and brake while i approach an inclination as well..

After repeatedly asking the mechanic he said it is because of ABS, which i definitely dont agree yet there is nothing i can do..

There is absolutely no problems during braking or turning . everything seems precise and sharp but occasionally I hear this noise...

I'm taking my car again to the dealer in a few days.. If anyone has faced the same issue pls let me know how to address it.

Thanks

Shampavman

If there is any sign of skidding then the ABS can do it. But it should not just be a single thump.

Also, please note (this is for all) no salutations or sign offs on a forum. If you want you can put a signature by editing your profile.

Hi ALL,

This is going to be my first post though am a regular visitor i never registered in here. and i would like to tell you all i bought a Fiat Grande Punto 90HP on 10th Dec 2010.

Here is my first Post / complaint LOL.

iam also getting the same noise mine is punto MJT 90HP. last two days i heard the noise twice when i turn the wheel to the left or decenting from high  area and pressing the brake iam getting some weird mechanical scraping noise coming from the front right side even i can feel through the pedals.but controls are perfect absolutely there is no problem with brakes or steering since mine has just clocked 1950kms.iam planning to get it checked by mechanics. i checked the under body also there is absolutely no signs of scrapings. i was wondering what might be the problem. i suspect last saturday i drive through a big pothole i was thinking that might be the reason. but then i didnt hear any noise. can any body has similar problem let us know how to rectify this. Thanks in advance.

while on the inclination you say ? have you checked your suspensions ?

A thud has to be the suspension, if it had anything to do with the brakes it would have been a squeak and a continuous sound. It cannot be the ABS either.

I would suggest you ramp it up and have a thorough inspection of the suspension , spring and underneth.

Charajesh,

Yes this is a similar noise I'm talking about.Uff someone here has the same problem.. Now at least we can discuss the issue and somehow come to a conclusion ...

Sarabjeet,

I hear squeaking noise at the right front when i brake but this issue I'm reporting now has been present much before the brake squeak started.

I've clocked 11000Km and there hasn't been any issue w.r.t handling/braking this is the only noise.

I'm quite a vehicle buff myself so i can understand if there are any technicalities involved in identifying the problem.

on that purview can you tell me what I should be looking for when I go in for an under chassis inspection ?

PS: There have been many occasions where I've scraped the front against some heavy humps which I could not avoid no matter what I've tried.

Please let me know if there is anything I should be specifically looking for.