gego&bones

Query about the brakes in my Swift Dzire Ldi

Hi guys,

need some help on this one.

I've had problems with the brakes in my swift Dzire Ldi.  I have complained to Mandovi and Maruti on 2 occasions. There is a new brake cylinder which is fitted in post april 2010 swifts, and the braking distance is now much reduced, but they are not willing to fit it, saying that my car brakes are perfect. I usually drive on the highways, and early mornings at good speed av. 120 kmph.

So they tested my car, at speed of 100-110kmph the braking distance was 67 metres acc to them. Is that normal braking distance? what should i do?

The new brake booster cylinder assembly costs 4k including labour, but my car is in warranty and I'm claiming for it.

Don't use the Dzire nowadays, its parked in my garage at bangalore.

Should i go for the new brake cylinder or just lodge another protest?

Acc. to them they wont change. The regional manager is real

Go for wider tyres and also for the bigger cylinder for the brake booster as Maruti. Hence forth it's better to go for an ABS equipped car as you by your own admission are a 'spirited' driver. It makes a world of difference.

@Gego&bones

67 meters is the normal distance in case of the normal braking @100-110Kph,and if you want some less distance,then as suggested by Durango Dude,go for wider tyres as if you try the same on the stock tyres then your car is going to skid the hell out of its nose in case of even very small hard braking.

For me,ABS is a must in every car,and if you have got wider tyres,then its just the bonus points.As you may be knowing,ABS means control at the time of hard braking,and it is the only factor that makes the difference.Though you are driving LDi,you must get your tyres upgraded(You can get the ones of a ZDi/ZXi)they are simply the best tyres for a Swift.This will surely help as you have confessed it yourself that you enjoy good highway speeds on those punny tyres.

@Gego

Swifts brakes are a big let down. ABS version also just do the job.

The better way out of here is go for better pads. Brembos or some other companies which make pads for swift would be good. Try to fit them on your existing disc if they don't change the disc also.

@Sarabjeet

Don't you feel the tyres too are having some problem with them(of LXi/LDi,VXi/VDi),I mean those skinny pieces of rubber are not wide enough as I feel that the tyres of ZXi/ZDi are adequate,I did the same on my Swift LXi(sold),and it worked in all departments including handling,braking etc.

yes I would agree too. Get wider tires. you cant do anything if you dont have ABS so no point in that now.

However if you want heart wrenching brake efficiency then You will have to get  bigger discs(ventilated discs are even better) and better pads.

But not only are they quite expensive but they might have some issues with mount because of the bigger radius.