guiguiswiss

Fiat 500 900cc TwinAir Test Drive

Hello everybody,

I am a driver of a Fiat 500 1.2 4cylinder 69hp, so I had the opportunity yesterday to try the new Fiat 500 TwinAir.

What is the TwinAir engine?

This is the all new Fiat 85hp turbocharged engine, a little 875cm3 with only two cylinders! It's an extreme example of downsizing. He promises more power for less fuel consumption than the 1200cc... A good reason for me to want to try it!

More information here :

http://archive.autocarindia.com/autocar_forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7033

How is it?

First impression : Nothing seems to differentiate this TwinAir compared to a normal 500, no logo, in fact the only difference is an ECO button on the dashboard that allows you to consume as little as possible. My test car is an intermediate "Pop" like mine, with a little bit surprising turquoise bleu color and an two-tone beige and grey interior. Surprise the car is new, only 6km on the odometer smiley17.gif

Here we go! Start the engine, the engine noise is amazing but not bad! Just different. It's a race car? I never heard anything like car noise, but why not. In town the engine proves to be very alert, much more nervous than my 1.2., but it is almost impossible with this small motor to drive below 3000rpm. The engine sound, fun in the beginning quickly becomes tedious, one solution, the ECO button, but the power and torque are then too small to ride comfortably, this function is only usable in traffic jams.

On expressway, the small turbo engine also shows a great vitality, and is used mainly between 3000rpm and 5000rpm, then it is really noisy, much more than the 4 cylinder. It's time to bring the car to my dealer, there are now 32km on the odometer, I was the first driver of this 500.

Conclusion : For me the main drawback of this engine is the noise, I enjoyed the nervousness of the TwinAir, but the price difference (1400

Excellent looking Fiat in 500 avatar & turquoise bleu color. Just loved it..

But at the same moment, Just got disheartened after watching & comparing this Fiat 500 with the products of Fiat India.

Where the latter stands & where are their Global Industry Standard Quality, Fit & Finish !

C'mon time to learn Fiat, VW have made the Indians to think their Way.smiley32.gif

Anyways guiguiswiss, coming to the topic after reading your Driving experience of this Fiat 500 w.r.t the Engine Note & Performance, Answers all the Queries of the Indian 2-cylinder Twin-Air engine seekers.

dr_nishu2011-02-02 19:06:05

Actually I am a fan of Fiat's engine loudness. If the new engine is going to be noisier, I am going to love it more.

PS - What stops Fiat to make this 500 fully in India and price it in 7L range?smiley19.gif 

If done, this will be their best seller ever in India.

I saw a video of Fiat 500 twin air in youtube- The sound was more like a twin cylinder motorcycle not like a racing car sound.

The Fiat 500 reminded me of Bubble cars of bygone era.

Anyways , good scoop Guiguiswiss.

Like a scooter, yes but not exactly, it's a little bit different : look at my video (you must copy the link and paste it on your Internet browser)

It is surprising that Fiat does not want to produce the 500 in India, then surely it would sell much better in India than in the United States!

@guiguiswiss - The sound is not  like a scooter its more like a bubble car of bygone era.

Fiat 500 is a two door car and India the market for Two door Mini is non existent , that's why Fiat does not produce Fiat 500 here

Of course the 500 is available with an automatic gearbox "Dualogic", it's optional. The explanation for the absence of sales for cars with 2 doors is very interesting, the mini can't be sold either. In this case, why the Fiat Panda is not sold? Here it's the cheapest of all cars : 6'590