Sign in to follow this  
TSiVipul

Iridium spark plugs?

Iridium spark plugs are some of the most common goodies among the tuners.I know that these are far better than those common ones(What do we call them?? smiley9.gif),but how are they better??

Is it beneficial to get them installed in our street running cars.If yes,then how much??

Since I am planning to try them for my Pulsar,i10 and Laura(tsi),so please tell me if they would have any effect on the warranty because my Laura is under warranty??

How much does they cost and what about their life span,any experience holder???

ADVICE NEEDED smiley19.gif

Yes, iridium plugs are better, as they provide flatter and error free sparks. It improves fuel efficiency to some extent and gives better response. But make sure you get the correct model number of the spark plugs to be installed. They are a bit costly too. The second best option is platinum plugs. My 2004 Alto runs on NGK platinum DCPR7EGP.

One caution : You may need to change your air-fuel ratio after installation of such plugs. Make sure you do this by taking help of a professional tuner. And you might need a dyno testing to select the exact air-fuel ratio.

explaining the whole concept theoretically would go little difficult.

but for IR plugs..because they are high end performance plugs..you would need electrical wiring /coils of the same rating or higher to withhold the power passing through or else it would either reduce the life or develop resistance and  performance would be lowered.

So you must not change the plug yourself..must go to some good garage and get it done.

Precisely for every model of NGK plugs, there is one platinum and one iridium plug. Check out the spark plug model number at the end of your car's booklet and match the same with NGKs iridium list. So I do not think there is any difference in wattage. You will need better wiring only if your existing wiring is worn out.

Iridium sparks have higher temperatures and lower flash points. So you might need to change air fuel ratio to get the desired result. Else it can be dangerous. You might need to retune engine as well.

Warranty is supposed to get void but people will hardly check your plugs model number in case of issues. So chances of noticing is feeble

sb-alto2011-02-21 14:24:40