sam.ana

good hatchback under 6L

Dear members, i stay in Noida and currently drive a santro xing 2004 model, done about 59k on the odo. I'm pretty happy with the car, but I feel that the time has come to change the car. I am looking for a hatchback car which will be driven by me and my parents. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Our usage would be around 500 Km per month city drive only (just to office and back), so I think Petrol is the option to go.

I consider safety first and would want front air bag and ABS in the car. I am also looking for decent FE and good ASS.

As my mother would also drive sometimes I would want good overall visibility including style. Hence I have thought of i10 Asta just because my Hyundai Santro was a good VFM for me whole throughout.......

The only thing which I was concerned I didn't find many ASTA MT on road may be the reason is priced bit high over all these cars. Hyundai dealer himself said people don

Actually i20 has EBD with its ABS in the petrol ASTA version its a 3 channel ABS wereas in Diesel it has 4 channel ABS .

Regarding popularity the ASTA is seen in really good numbers in Maharashtra . After Launching the Sportz version which has only driver airbag people prefer this as its almost 40k cheaper .

Go for the ASTA version as it has most important feature ABS . I wish Hyundai should have launched the sportz with ABS rather than airbag.

The i20 ASTA cost somewere 6.4lkahs on road Noida so it will come easily in your budget .

thanks for the information....actually i didn't consider i20 because:-

1) overall drive visibility is not good as compared to i10 (my mother finds it difficult to drive)

2) FE is also good for i10

3) Cost difference between these two would be significant as I will not get any kind of discounts on i20 (15K exchange bonus+15K insurance free with i10+corporate discount of 2K with i10).....don't know why they don't give any discounts with i20.....

don't know why but the dealer said that i10 Asta AT is what people go for rather than i10 Asta MT..............may be a marketing strategy....

I am sorry if I am asking a stupid question but is EBD essential with ABS....

i10 Asta in my opinion is not as VFM as other cars in the segment. You may have a look at Ritz ZXI which is more spacious, has same features and is priced 20k lesser. Delivery may be quicker(you will have to inquire at multiple showrooms) and the engine is absolutely fantastic( Kappa VVT in i10 is not bad either, but K12M is little etter).

Also i10 Asta sells in good nos. It is not seen much as Sportz variant offers all the features without safety features which most of the buyers are ignorant towards. You are doing a good thing focussing on safety.

Mostly you can't go wrong. Swift, i10 and Ritz are excellent cars with with great value for money and good ownership experience bundled along with them. If you want you can wait for Etios Liva, but looking at Etios waiting period, it would be difficult getting the car soon.

Go for a polo or Punto. I bought a polo today after waiting for 5 months and found it worth to wait .These two hatchbacks you can do without a airbag also. Airbag saves you from head injury. If the chassis is weak than what airbag will do, except head everything will be crushed.And what if airbag doesn't pop up but a strong chassis will definitely save you. Both this car have strong built quality you can rely upon.

I agree with the options quoted by rahul.

Rather than banking on Hyundai i10 Asta better is to spend the same on Ritz ZXi. Its better than i10 in almost every aspects like:

-Its having more Powerful, efficient & Refined engine than i10 kappa.

-Its having better build quality than i10.

-Interior Space & Comfort is better in Ritz.

-Maruti Suzuki Reliabilty & better AfSS.

Since you're having budget of 6 lacs, I'd advice you to either go for MS Ritz or VW Polo or else wait for upcoming crop of hatchbacks like new Swift, Etios Liva & Honda Brio.

Here Ritz better city car with tall boy design.i am driving the same for past 18 months without any problems.

Swift more sporty car with better aerodynamic design that Ritz,Rear seat cramped.

Figo better VFM car with lot of space slightly costlier to maintain compare to Marutis.

Polo created some hype and people are willing to wait for indefinite period by cursing dealers. Overall good product with Tank like Build quality.Polo Diesel is worth to buy.

Take test test drive of all these 4 cars and decide.If you can wait upto May,new swift is coming with better package.

Confused as to which diesel car I should go for?

Ritz: Like the looks and space. not getting too good a response. What about the image factor?

Swift: Not too enthused. looks too old and boxy.

i20: Looks great. Hyundai ASS a concern. Carries too much plastic component just in case of an accident.

Punto: Looks bland. ASS a concern. Not as refined.

Vista: spare me.

Figo: Low ground clearance. Just isn't the contemprary thing.

Polo/Fabia: Component/Spare Part costs too high.

Really confused as to what I should go for?

Thread moved: To the right section.
BornFree2011-03-01 18:01:53

I'm also sailing through the same Boat, man.

But I've shortlisted only two, One is Upcoming All-New Swift & another is Hyundai i20, but the latter isn't able to convince me fully as it lacks the probable fineese of a Japaneese or a German VWs.

I was also convinced that I should wait for the all new Swift 2011. But there are two problems:

1) The changes are farcical, if any. The dynamics remain the same. Its a good car for the enthusiast but loses out when pressed into family service and usual city service. I've heard a couple of friends talk about the better handling and road performance of the Ritz vis-a-vis the Swift.

2) I was just talking to the sales guy. According to him, 2011 Swift ain't expected as soon. The delivery belt has not even been ordered as yet and even the part procurement agreements are still being finalised. So, all the talk of the new Swift seems far-fetched.

Back to Ritz: Despite the odd back, it still has a livelier interior, yet the over-all mood towards it isn't great, even though it is churning the numbers.

This is really a million $ question, I started a similar thread some time back. Try searching, it had fair bit of discussion.

If I were to choose, as such Polo appeals the most but the after sales/spare prices are a concern. New/upcoming Swift is a no brainer, has almost everything going for it except the fact that its too common!

Punto actually is a nice mix-match, if one can get over the after sales concern, its the car to get.

Whereas Ritz, Figo & i20 figure last for me. Sure they are fine cars but don't make the cut as far as Im concerned.

P.S: This might sound funny but the latest Tata Indica C4 looks appealing to me!

The changes are farcical' date=' if any. The dynamics remain the same. Its a good car for the enthusiast but loses out when pressed into family service and usual city service. I've heard a couple of friends talk about the better handling and road performance of the Ritz vis-a-vis the Swift.
[/quote']

That's where you're Misunderstood man.

Its totally a New Car build on Updated Swift Platform which is Extended(to liberate more Rear Space) & also it'll now feature better, more Stiff bodyshell for better Dynamics.

Even the Handling & Body Roll of Current Swift is better than Ritz.

I was just talking to the sales guy. According to him' date=' 2011 Swift ain't expected as soon.
[/quote']

Our Local Maruti Suzuki dealer said it launch is expected by End March or by April2011. They're also taking bookings for it.

Well Looks could be deceptive but even the whole tenor of the said article pointed out by you went in the direction of pointing that not many far-reaching changes are in the offer.

Yes the booking was offered to me too. But don't expect the delivery before Diwali at least. As I said, the relay belt intended to be the assembly point for the new Swift has not even been ordered as yet. So, there is a long way to go before one could lay hand on the 2011 Swift.

Go for either Polo / Ritz / i20.

Polo is new and has the best of fit and finish and the build quality of exterior as well as interior are best among all. And last but not least you can buy a VW.

Ritz for best Fuel economy, interior space, A.S.S. and Maruti's reliability. Image wise Ritz look good and much bigger than other hatchback.

i20 for exterior design and interior space.

Punto also may be considered as Fiat is famous for it's diesel engine and Punto is quite fun to drive car.

You can also try LOGAN, Indigo-CS, Manza or DZIRE because these cars seems to be better option when you are thinking of hatchbacks such as Polo, Fabia / i20.

P.S: This might sound funny but the latest Tata Indica C4 looks appealing to me!

Well. Right from the Vista launch' date=' the Tatas are beginning to look more appealing. But the real test to determine a Tata vehicle's reliability remains its looks and performance after 2 years/50k kms. Even Vista starts to shed its sturdiness after the said interval, which assures one that Tata still hasn't chosen to mend its ways. Look at what has been happening with the Aria. They are just too under prepared to handle/generate the finesse. For someone looking to drive in a high status atmosphere and vying for something worth keeping for at least 10 years, the tata vehicles are the least VFM.

You can also try LOGAN, Indigo-CS, Manza or DZIRE because these cars seems to be better option when you are thinking of hatchbacks such as Polo, Fabia / i20.

Tejas, thanks for the frank views. Sedans (mini-sedans) are ruled out because I already have the Fiesta.

I have test driven the Punto. The interior just doesn't gell in well. It is too well commented for me to raise the point again. They havn't been able to keep the noise levels low either and the vibrations creeps in from both the steering wheel as well as the gear knob. Doesn't make for a good driver's car.

Havn't checked out the Polo/Fabia section (test driven that is), but the cost of their maintenance keeps me away.

-----------------

Was thinking of these music accessories:
Head unit: Pioneer FH-P6050UB

http://www.pioneer-india.in/uploads/products/small/1295331695s_FH-P6050UB_small.gif

Speakers: INFINITY KAPPA42.9I

http://www.indiajbl.com/CarAudioDesc.aspx?ID=76

Posts merged.
BornFree2011-03-01 19:27:59

Go for a polo or punto any day. If you are concerned about spare price than punto is good option. Its after sale/spares are cheaper than polo. But polo scores in interior quality and as a overall package. ***EDIT*** better stay away from skoda. they have a bad reputation of ripping off their customers, fabia accessories are costly compare to polo. check their websites for the same. i have got polo accessories price list and compared with skoda fabia price list of skoda website. The same thing should also be their in respect of spares.

You can also wait for brio Honda.ashikawa2011-03-02 03:04:46

Went for the Ritz. Booked the Genus VDi (November 2010) model- Emerald Blue.

The feature list over the VDi is impressive. Everyone mentions that it has Rear wiper, dual tone upholstery, embedded stereo, etc. But no one pointed out that it also has a rear boot lid release with the remote locking for 5 doors. Makes it more interesting.

One thing though. I was confused between the VDi and Genus because of the stereo. I had wished to install a Pioneer 2-Din unit with Infinity/JBL speakers, which obviously would have had better performance than the ICE. But what clinched it in favour of the Genus was the fact that there is little scope for installing the speakers on the rear parcel tray (except at the cost of luggage space and versatility). And, the door fitted speakers could have hardly done justice to a pioneer head unit.

Test Drove the car. Seems fine. The rattle through steering and gear is much less than the Punto/Indica and it seems more refined than the Swift (not the engine) but the overall driving experience. The stance of the seats is great, which makes it more practical to use than the Punto.

Hope it lives upto the expectations.

Side Note: I have asked the dealer to install alloys. I was told by a few friends that alloys enhance the handling of the car (many forum posts also suggest the same). Is it worth going for the Company fitted alloys or are the open-market alloys a better option? (I am also worried about losing warranty on shockers in case alloys are installed from open market).

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Mods: Really didn't know the rules. Shall do the needful in future.

Congrats for a lightening fast decision man.

as our member already quoted, For alloys & upsizing go only upto 185/70 R-14 Michelins or Yokohamas.

Also Do post the pics & Initial Ownership experience of your car here after getting its delivery.