5737_1469555599

Skoda Superb II 1.8 TSI DSG-Review:Picture Heavy!

Hi , all this is my Skoda Superb II 1.8 TSI A/T. Got her just 2 days back, and I am loving every bit of it smiley1.gif .

The DSG 7 speed automatic gearbox is very good to use and although low - RPM torque is not great ,the car pulls fast. The 0-100 kmph comes up in just 9 seconds. I know its still the run-in period but just couldn't resist the Sport mode. Put her in that and the acceleration is just amazing. The ride is firm, something BMW-like but it helps the car corner better.

Will update the thread soon.

SPOILER ALERT- Ahem!! Please excuse the newspapers, instead of the Floor mats- didn't get time to get new ones. The dealer gave just an ordinary looking white plastic mats which covers nothing.

These are the pictures. Please excuse the quality and the way they are taken. I'm not even an amateur photographer and as already said please excuse the "yuckyy newspapers". Will post my drive report shortly.

Enjoy the pics........

05092010180.jpg

DSC03051.jpgDSC03053.jpg

DSC03045.jpg

DSC03057.jpg

DSC03056.jpg

DSC03052.jpg

DSC03050.jpg

DSC03047.jpg

DSC03048.jpg

DSC03049.jpg

DSC03036.jpg

DSC03044.jpg

DSC03042.jpg

DSC03039.jpg

DSC03034.jpg

DSC03033.jpg

Its really superb. Nice pics. keep posting. Do post your complete ownership report.TSI/ DSG AT/ 12 way seat memory/ wooden finish on dashboard/touch panel Music sytem is a treat to eyes.

@Superb:

You have made a fantastic buy,even I am also in the fan following of this car and the TSi is simply a gem,fun to drive-always.

CONGRATS...

TSiVipul2011-03-13 04:52:15

@TSiVipul -- Thanks, the TSI is very responsive indeed,but your Laura TSI must have better agility and response since its shorter and weigh lesser also.

@ sanjithchandran -- that's well put... Thankyou all for your support. Keep watching this thread - I'll post the drive report shortly.

Waow smiley17.gif very nice car, the cream-colored leather is just perfect.

The Superb concerns us very much, the 1.8 TSI engine is enough? Have you tested other engines?

I know that the DSG gearbox is exceptional, I have tested it on a VW Passat : wonderful.

But please remove the newspaper on the floor smiley21.gif. And what this surprising plastic floor carpets in addition to the original carpets?

Fuel consumption seems to me excellent. These Volkswagen turbo engines are very fuel efficient!guiguiswiss2011-03-13 18:32:57

Superbly executed & clicked pics of your Superb, Superb & Congrats for the car.

This TSi engine really generates blasts of torque at the tap of accelerator pedal alongwith Class-leading fuel efficiency, usually unheard of Petrol engine of similar capacity.

Just love to watch the view of world outside, while sitting on this Speeding spacious Monster.

Waow smiley17.gif very nice car' date=' the cream-colored leather is just perfect.

The Superb concerns us very much, the 1.8 TSI engine is enough? Have you tested other engines?

I know that the DSG gearbox is exceptional, I have tested it on a VW Passat : wonderful.

But please remove the newspaper on the floor smiley21.gif. And what this surprising plastic floor carpets in addition to the original carpets?

Fuel consumption seems to me excellent. These Volkswagen turbo engines are very fuel efficient![/quote']

The 1.8 TSI engine is adequate for the job and takes only 8.9 seconds to reach 100 kmph from standstill. Thats's same as the new BMW 520 d 2 -litre Turbodiesel. The DSG is wonderful indeed and if you need to juice out more power from the motor, you can always remap it at Revo Technik(KSM) - that will take the power to a whopping 220 hp at the engine and almost 320 Nm torque! Seems ultra delicious right.......

The car is performing without any glitches. Loads of road presence and got positive replies from everybody. Just loving the car . I still don't know what to do with the interiors, its getting dirty everytime with only the plastic mats on. They look ugly also. Can anyone help me out in finding a good car mat(preferably "made for the car").

THE POSITIVES

1. Comfort and spaciousness (Rear seat Legroom is actually more than the current S- Class and on par with the 7 - series. )

2.Smooth and refined TSI engine

3.Super-smooth 7-speed DSG gearbox

4.Build Quality and Fit & Finish

5.Features (6.5"touchscreen music system,12-way power adjustable front driver(with 3-person memory) and passenger seats,Rear Sun blinds, Umbrella lounge with dry-dip system,Dual Zone A/C with AQS,Multi -function displayTwindoor Boot opening, to name a few...)

6.Fort-like Safety (5 star NCAP rating.) - 8 Airbags, Adapative frontlight system with corner function,ABS,EBD,ASR,TCS,EDL,ESP,HHC,Active front head-rests,and also a full-fledged Parktronic (Front&rear) with display.Displays 8 zones with 6 levels.

7.Mileage(13-15 kmpl)

8.Cabin insulation , Steering wheel and handling(considering the mammoth size of the car)

9.Standard anti-theft system is top of the line. Includes motion sensors, siren, backup battery and an engine immobiliser.

THE NEGATIVES

1. Below - average sales experience and poor After -Sales Support.(Will post a detailed exp. later)

2.Firm Ride

3.OE Tyres and alloys

4.Mudflaps are an optional extra!

5.Obstructive Rear -View(Thick C-pillars and small windscreen)

6.No GPS system and the car is only Bluetooth -ready(BT module has to be imported from germany)

7.Bonnet opening lever is located on the wrong side (left of the dashboard) and LHD stalks layout.

8. Drain water from roof and doors seems to "color" the outer sill panels under the doors.

9.The clock is not easily availably for the front passenger.

Can anyone help me out in finding a good car mat(preferably "made for the car").
you can get complete vinyl floor mating done from any accessories shop. You may choose some light color which suits your interiors or you can get mats also which cover a larger area.

1. Below - average sales experience and poor After -Sales Support.(Will post a detailed exp. later)

Everybody says the same thing' date=' i think they decided not to improve.

8. Drain water from roof and doors seems to "color" the outer sill panels under the doors.

Please post pics, so that we can discuss further.

@TSiVipul -- Thanks' date=' the TSI is very responsive indeed,but your Laura TSI must have better agility and response since its shorter and weigh lesser also.

@ sanjithchandran -- that's well put... Thankyou all for your support. Keep watching this thread - I'll post the drive report shortly.[/quote']

@Skoda Superb:

My views about my Laura,Superb and Skoda are as follows:

1)I have driven the Superb DSG too hundreds of times,it feels leagues ahead Laura(Have a look at the overall package),only there is a slight difference in acceleration(one can not even easily recognise it).Even I was also considering a Superb..but Laura stole the dealsmiley36.gif..JUST ENJOY TSI,WHY COMPARE?

2)I found Skoda A$$ simply hassle free for me,WHAT ABOUT YOU?

@TSiVipul - I don't mean to compare the two cars, but just wanted to know which had better handling or which is an overall driver's car?

@ ashikawa - that was useful information . I have posted the picture of that door sill "colouration"

18032011495.jpg

18032011494.jpg

I also bought a new Map My India Vx 140 GPS with Bluetooth system.

18032011496.jpg

18032011498.jpg

The story of my car................

I will be covering the these topics in my posts over the next few days , so please bear with me for a while. Thankyou for all your support. smiley1.gif

I - Why the new car?

II - The Selection Process

III - Dealer Experience and Delivery

IV - Drive report and Experience.

I - Why the new car?

I previously owned a Tata Safari 2.0 L Turbo-diesel (2002 model). It has been a good vehicle and although the plastic quality and all other usual niggles existed I was quite happy with the car. It had great road presence and the seating comfort was just too good. It was getting older and the "BIG Problems" also started surfacing. First, in 2009, it met with an accident and the radiator, grille, headlamps all had to be changed. I decided to mod it went on with some exterior mods like new Michelin tyres, plati alloys, full body paintwork, DICOR headlamps and grille. So a lot of money was spent on the car.

But, after almost 6 months the fuel pump failed. The engine overheated and there was a major - costly repair. The Safari was becoming more and more unreliable and problematic, so long trips were a chore on the Santro.

It was decided that our Long Term SUV could no longer serve us faithfully , so had to look for a better CAR and more importantly a better driver's car as most of the time its self-driven. And, so began the SELECTION PROCESS ..... A BIG SELECTION PROCESS smiley1.gif

@Skoda Superb: 1. Navigation system is a nice addition.

2. White colour tends to look pale after some years. But it should not happen this soon. Please check, is there a sticker pasted on that portion. It may be looking pale due to that sticker, not due to paint defect.

II - The Selection Process

This was the major part of the car- buying process and we had to get a good car for the money spent.

The SELECTION CRITERIAS were :

1.Petrol with more Power for fun driving.( Petrol especially because of the refinement, high-revving nature of modern petrols and also since this was NOT going to a daily use car).

2.Automatic Transmission ( very important for driving ease and comfort).

3.Better dynamics - Ride, Handling and Stability.( The SUV had a lot of body roll and was not a corner - carver but did like the 'macho" looks)

4.Better Looks- Very important since the Tata Safari caught many stares and attention ( in the good old days smiley2.gif )

5. Better quality and fit and finish since this was going to be a long term car.

THE SELECTION CONTENDERS:

The budget ranged from almost 10 lakhs to 25 lakhs.

I - Midsize segment - 4001 to 4500mm (City,SX4, Vento)

Chose to concentrate only on Honda City as it was the class - leader and since the Vento Petrol wasn't much of a performer

1. Honda City - It was a great car but for the price the features were low as on every honda and so moved to the next segment.

II- Executive - 4501 to 4700mm (Corolla,Civic,Cruze, Laura)

1. Cororlla - I personally didn't like the look of the Toyota Corolla. It wasn't a driver's car and although the features were better than the Civic's , I was disappointed with the interiors(personal opinion) and preferred the modern-looking Civic instead.

2. Civic - It was a great car just like the City. I liked the looks, dynamics and design of the car. The negatives were the high price and the less features. It was one of the strong contenders.

3.Cruze - The Chevy Cruze was a stunner in the brochure. It was just an eye- catchy design and liked it immensely. Saw it in flesh and I awed at the beauty of the car. The features were good, but from then on it was all bad.The interiors were outright cheap for the Executive category cars. The rear seat legroom and overall comfort and spaciousness of the car wasn't great. I also wasn't too interested in a diesel engine. I could only test drive the manual variant and the turbo lag disappointed. I heard that the A/T variant's turbo - lag was more bearable, but just dropped it since I found the Skoda Laura to fall at that price bracket.

4. Laura - This was the car I had in my mind till the last moment. The fit & finish , build quality, driving dynamics and the sweet 6 speed DSG was all great. The problem was that the A/T was only available in the diesel variant, but even then I was quite sure of the TDI's capabilities. I almost decided on booking this car but the things acting against this were the hefty price tag and the low features on the lower variants. The fully- loaded L&K variant costed almost 20 lakhs, so that was close to the Accord and Superb category. The Laura was a great car, ticked all the right boxes but I wouldn't term it as a VFM car for the price.

III - Premium( Luxury- Executive )   4701 to 5000mm (Camry, Superb, Accord, Passat, Teana, 3 series)

1. Camry - Dropped it first itself since it doesn't belong in this category of cars, its only competing with them as it is a CBU.

2.Teana - Liked the interiors immensely but it was certainly not a driver's car and also came with a hefty price tag of 27 lakhs which amounted to that of a 3- series.

3.3- series - I also considered this for a while since the prospect of owning a BMW and moreover a driver's car would be possible on a slightly stretched budget but the total cost with the BSI and Tax was about 30 lakhs. It was clearly out-of - budget and also were low on features and was due to replacement in 2012.

4.Accord - It was a good - looking car but was too low on features. Also costed a lakh more than the Skoda Superb.I liked the service support and the prospect of a trouble free long term ownership but the Japanese didn't stand a chance with the germans - Passat, Superb, 3-series.

5. Passat - The Passat was a good car and had great build quality but dropped it immediately since a new model was soon to be launched in 4-6 months.

6. Superb- The Superb was a spur of the moment - buy. After, going through all these cars I decide that it was either the Skoda Laura or the Superb.

After I saw the Laura in flesh and blood, I was almost decided that this was going to be the car but then came the Superb. I had checked out all the other cars earlier and decided that the Laura was better since the money allowed it without stretching too much.

But, the Skoda Superb literally "blew " me away. It was like it belonged to a much higher class. I had been told that the 1.8 L TSI DSG costed only 22 lakhs on - road, Cochin, Kerala. So, I wasn't expecting all those features as I had seen in the website in that variant. But , it was then that I learnt that the Superb came only in one Trim Level (Interior) and so that was it..... didn't think twice about booking the car. It was only two- lakh dearer than the Laura L&K and although it was 4 lakh more than the Ambiente version it offered far more than any expecations of a buyer in that class. It even had the TSI petrol motor.

And, finally after all this search THE CAR was found - THE SKODA SUPERB 1.8 TSI DSG.

@ ashikawa - It's a plastic protective covering' date=' but I gave it a negative since its getting discolured due to the drain water.[/quote'] So what i feel is , its just looking discoloured not getting discoloured. It may be a transit coat film. Ask your dealer about it. And if it is so you can remove it. My polo had a transit coat on its roof, bonnet and boot door. Which was removed by the dealership before delivery. But still there are some remains of it on roof , which i think will come off after some time.

congrats a lot on the car.i own a cruze and i absolutely love the superb!!!!!especially in white and brown!just a few questions mate-

1.what all information does the rear screen give?and upload a few pics of it action!!

2.please upload some pics of the switch used to switch between a hatch and a boot!!!!

and congrats once again!

@Skoda Superb:

Today I again took a test drive of the Superb TSi.Again got blew away by the acceleration and the grip levels,but I have felt its steering a bit less responsive and it feeling a bit(I seriously mean a bit)less agile at speeds as I did a good 180 in it(maybe its due to higher weight and longer size)than my Laura.I am just confirming it if it is true or just a false feeling of mine.