Planning to buy Laura. Satisfied with Features and Test Drive Experience/ Got mixed feedback about after sales support, costly maintanance and high cost of spares.

Grateful for your views and advice that will help me in taking informed decision. I am looking for good AT version in this segment under Rs. 18 Lacs. Diesel preferred but not mandatory. Useful suggestion will be welcome and valuable to me. Thanks.

Thread moved: ACI Support.
BornFree2011-03-20 10:54:48

@VVR Babu:

If you are ready to own a manual and are ready to shift from diesel,then close your eyes and get a Laura TSi,nothing comes close.Only problem is the lack of features and equipment but TSi simply hides everything with its power delievery and a perfect transmission.

If you want an AT then you will have to strech your budget a bit more,but overall the car is simply the best nothing is as much VFM at the price.

When it comes to A$$,I would say that its simply satisfactory and you won't get any chance to complain.Yes,the cost of spares and maintainance is surely on the pricier side but not as much as the people say(I mean non-Skoda owners who doesn't know the truth)its marginally above the Civic for petrol and Cruze for diesel.

Laura is the perfect car which I love to own. But A.S.S is very poor. I heard this from almost all Laura users I know. I ended up in Cruze after doing research almost 3 months. I was considering  Laura/Jetta/Altis. Also I don't like the back side of laura. Laura quality is brilliant. You get a premium look inside the car. Cruze I don't think so. It has some bad plastics here and there

Both Laura and Cruze have drawbacks. I came to a conclusion that Cruze is a VFM car as must budget is limited to 15k

@Nfs123:

As I have mentioned above,its not that much true that the Skoda A$$ is bad,currently they have improved it a lot and this can be heard from nearly all recent Skoda owners.

Why to compare a Laura with a Cruze when there is a big price difference between the two,HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF A WORD 'QUALITY'?If yes,then I don't need to justify the Laura's price in front of Cruze.

Interior quality - The Laura leads the Cruze. No second thoughts. The Cruze was developed and priced to compete with the Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic- entry level compact family sedans in the rest of the world. But its funny that the Corolla,Civic ,Cruze are considered to be executive cars here. The Laura was designed to be a executive car with wood trim all over. So no competition here. (The fake wood trim in the Corolla doesn't count.

Its just that the plastics in Cruze is bad only compared to Laura which is priced ~3 lakh greater than Cruze. Otherwise, its on par or even better than the plastics in Corolla or Civic.

Laura looks like a family/executive car while the the Cruze looks sporty when bigger tyres are added.

I agree with Ragav smiley32.gif.

The Cruze is really nearly no match for Laura's quality,fit and finish.Though Laura is on the pricier side but even then I advise people to go for it with closed eyes because its a perfect bang for the buck and you get exactly what you expect from your car.There are no technology boasting features but there is a real car which makes you happy when you drive it,it may not look such sleek or musculine,but its on par with everything else.AM I RIGHT?

When I bought my Cruze, I never bothered to try the Laura because I didn't know about Skoda then. Skodas are not sold globally (esp. in NA ) so I went with my home team -GM (USA). I didn't like the Civic(t felt cramped) and don't get me started on the crapolla.

The Cruze is bold, brash and the interiors are funky. Great power , good handling and a composed ride. But the Laura has all this with great interior quality. Quality is not funkiness,its the feel ,fit and finish, panel gaps soft touch materials and a lot more.

I do not like wood trim in my cars however. Satin metal or brushed aluminium s much better.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I do hope that these inputs will certainly help me take the right decision soon. Have not heard from anyone about Volkswagen Jetta. Your feedback on the performance, features and after sales support, cost of maintanance & spares, features etc. will be useful in my decision making process. Welcome views on this and similar suggestions. Thanks.

@VVR

new Jetta will hit the road soon. It would be worth the wait. Mean while the present Jetta also appeals to some.

Spares and maintanance would come into picture after 3 years and they will cost a bomb. It would be recommended to take their extended warrenty for 4 years and then find a suitable mechanic that can handle these cars.

Cruze AT is a good option at that price range. Since its an AT it has been tuned for close to 0 turbo-lag.

You have Skoda Yeti and Hyundai Sonata available at the same price band.

I recommend you to buy a Laura Ambiente 2.0 L TDI with the fantastic 6 speed DSG gearbox. The Laura not only leads the Chevrolet Cruze in terms of quality and fit&finish but also in having a world- renowned TDI engine with a free- revving nature and excellent mid-range. Also, the Cruze's A/T box is not even half as good as the super - silky , super-smooth DCT in the Laura.

So, for all these reasons you can go for a Skoda Laura. It's the most sensible choice right now although you may wait for the new VW Jetta which will be launched within 4-6 months.

The Laura has better interior and build quality - thats the end of it.

How is the TDI engine better when the specs are lower.

Both are 2000 cc diesel.

Cruze- 150 hp

Laura -140 hp

How is the TDI engine in Laura better than the Cruze if it has lower power?

DCT is better than torque converter automatics but they are unreliable. So they balance out.

I completely do agree with Skoda Superb.As he mentioned,Cruze is really nowhere as good as the Laura TDI,and the 6 speed DSG is simply unbeatable.

If you consider Jetta,then you will have to wait for the new variant to be launched..

@Ragav20693:

You either have a good sense of humour or you tried to crack a bad joke..smiley36.gif.The answer to your question(How Laura is better?)lies here in this comparision:

Old Honda City:77bhp

Hyundai Accent:94bhp

Swift 1.3:87 bhp

SX4:103 bhp

Hyundai i10 kappa:80 bhp

Then why is the Honda City(Non V-tec/i-Vtec)faster than all the above mentioned cars???

Its not only the power and torque figures on paper that decide the performance of the car,its how the engine perform in the real world conditions?How the transmission acts?How easily the engine revvs?Where does the maximum power comes in the powerband? and many other facts...

So your question somewhere seems to be questionless itself.

lets not underestime Cruze here, it is a variable geometry turbo with plenty of torque under its belt and the 6 speed tranny isn't bad. It can take power upto 420 nm+ (if you decide to pete it)

DSG 6 speed are notoriuos, new 7 speeds are some what reliable but the DSG can set you back 2-3 lakhs for replacement.

On road both of these cars are neck to neck and in the end the best driver would win.

3 years down the line VCDI would sound loud and TDI would sound like a tractor.

In the end one has to decide would he/she live with a Skoda with skoda shield or chevy with chevy promise.

I have driven both Laura and Cruze. You cannot even compare Skoda engine with Cruze.

Cruze engine is far far better.

I agree that Laura Interior is better.

Also Cruze is the VFM car. why you need pay additional 3-4 Lakh for a car in the same segment.

I have driven both Laura and Cruze. You cannot even compare Skoda engine with Cruze.Cruze engine is far far better.I agree that Laura Interior is better.Also Cruze is the VFM car. why you need pay additional 3-4 Lakh for a car in the same segment.

If you are referring to the M/T version of Cruze, then its pathetic to say the least.I test drove the Cruze and Laura before and have found the Laura to be very capable than Cruze in terms of everything except features. The Turbo-lag is so bad that I couldn't even overtake any cars before the RPM hit the 3000 mark. It just spoils the driving fun. And, also the TDI engine is a far superior technology than the Cruze's engine. VW/Skoda is only offering it in 140 bhp tune because of the poor fuel quality in India, otherwise you can buy a car with the same 2.0L engine in European countries in 170 bhp tune.

So, in terms of engine capability and driving comfort , one would naturally have to choose Laura as a better deal.

it is not power we are talking about!!!in indian conditions what we need is torque!!and the cruze has loads and loads of it!for reference-it has more torque than a ford endeavour!!which by the way is a full size suv!and it is incredibly fuel efficient - i even managed 22.5 kmpl while cruzing at 120 kmph!!!!and has anybody noted the turning radius of the cruze ????it is better than most hatchbacks!!!in the laura we need to take two point turns while the cruze manages it in one!!!!then the ride quality in both the laura and the jetta is very stiff compared to the cruze!!!! and the vcdi engine is much much more advanced than the tdi thingy!!!the same engine in the rs diesel version of the cruze has more than 190ps of power!!

Who said the vcdi in the cruze is not rev happy!!just try keeping your

foot down and the vcdi will happily visit its 5k rev limit without

breaking into a sweat!!!the refinement is also great!!the engines in the

laura and jetta sound agricultural anywhere near their redline smiley36.gif

Durango Dude2011-03-22 07:06:04

The Cruze doesn't have dead pedals, rear A/C vents, rear seat space or boot space.

Its not good to drive in cities due to poor low end torque.It is hard to take a quick overtake.

Drivability and traction are also far superior in the Laura, as is the clutch actuation and gearshift quality.

The Cruze also does not have the cornering abilities of a Skoda Laura and moreover it does not have ASR (Anti Slip Regulation) or TCS (Traction Control System) which is standard on all Skoda Laura models.

The 8 speaker system (Standard) is also far better than the 6 speaker system provided by the Cruze.

So, in all with the better driveability, traction control and cornering abilities, better steering "feedback", and gear shift make it a better car. The NVH levels are also low and I also did not hear a clatter when the engine started up in the Laura. The Cruze has a mechanical clattery sound till the engine warms up.

So, in all the Laura is a better car to drive and also scores on practicality with the added space.

TDI is superior to Vcdi in what sense ? Mind you VCDI can be tuned beyond imagination (they are tuned to 162 Bhp in UK)

Cruze AT is a good city car.

The problem of turbo lag arises due to a bigger turbo which keeps the car low and dry at lower RPM's as it is tuned to deliver torque at high rpm band.

Yes Laura has a quick jump start because it is tuned for that but on highway Laura will find it hard to over take than Cruze.

TCS lets get to the basic , we are not sending 500-700 nm torque to the rear wheels which would cause tail wag?

Cruze = drivers car , Laura = All rounder

Again it would go down as personal choice after a TD

Lets not make this another Cruze vs Laura thread, if you want we can start a new topic on this 

sarabjeet2011-03-22 09:44:17

I am not here for a fight. I like Laura's Interior far better.

But road presence is more for Cruze. Laura is in many way similar to the old octavia. I don't like the boxy look. Laura's black is just plane.

I agree that Cruze has a turbo lag. But you can get used to it with proper gear shift ...

I agree that Cruze has a turbo lag. But you can get used to it with proper gear shift ...

Yes, proper gearshift - more time spending on the gearshift. It wouldn't be a problem if that gearshift is as good as the Laura's. Personally after TD'ing both the cars, I found the Laura's gearshift better. I do not mean to say that the Cruze's gearshift is bad, it's not as good when you compare it to Laura's. Again, just my personal opinion.