TDI is superior to Vcdi in what sense ? Mind you VCDI can be tuned beyond imagination (they are tuned to 162 Bhp in UK).Yes Laura has a quick jump start because it is tuned for that but on highway Laura will find it hard to over take than Cruze.

The same 2.0 L TDI motor is selling at 170 bhp tune in the European market.

Now, about the overtakings.... the Cruze is hard to overtake in cities due to low torque down the rev range. The Laura has an advantage here.

On the highways, the Cruze still has good torque coming in early but the Laura's TDI has also got mid-range grunt. The Cruze has to AT 3000 RPM to go like the DIESEL ROCKET as they say in the brochures. Anywhere below that, then small hatchbacks are better.

Now, the Cruze being about the Driver's car. How can it be DRIVER'S CAR WITHOUT -

1. A DEAD PEDAL!

2.Super-slick gearshift( Its good but I found the Laura's to be better)and superb clutch actuation.

3.Steering Feedback and Feel - The steering unit in Laura is far better.

4. Better cornering abilities.Also, Laura has got ASR and TCS as standard on all models - which translates to better grip and confidence levels.

As it is , the Laura has better driveability ,traction, gearshift quality, clutch actuation, and steering feedback.

Now, how can you possibly say that the Cruze is a better DRIVER'S CAR without all these.

On, the modification front, at least in Inida - the Skoda Laura has got an advantage. Please look at the mods done by Pete's itself - http://www.petes.in/skodaproject.html

Now' date=' about the overtakings.... the Cruze is hard to overtake in cities due to low torque down the rev range. The Laura has an advantage here.
[/quote'] 

Thats what i mean, since its turbo is tuned to deliver to torque at higher rpm upto 4000. So it has more turbo lag as Laura puts up max torque upto 2600 rpm.

On the highways' date=' the Cruze still has good torque coming in early but the Laura's TDI has also got mid-range grunt. The Cruze has to AT 3000 RPM to go like the DIESEL ROCKET as they say in the brochures. Anywhere below that, then small hatchbacks are better.
[/quote'] 

See where laura stop delivering at 2600 rpm cruze goes upto 4000 rpm to deliver its max torque. I have no way denied Laura as a better city car but it looses its gas on the highways. You would have to choose where you want you car to perform. But cruze no way as sluggish as a hatch in the city.

Now' date=' the Cruze being about the Driver's car. How can it be DRIVER'S CAR WITHOUT -
[/quote'] 

Stiffer suspension , direct steering better responsiveness around the corner than Laura . Yes it is!

1. A DEAD PEDAL!
2.Super-slick gearshift( Its good but I found the Laura's to be better)and superb clutch actuation.
3.Steering Feedback and Feel - The steering unit in Laura is far better.
4. Better cornering abilities.Also' date=' Laura has got ASR and TCS as standard on all models - which translates to better grip and confidence levels.
[/quote']

1 How important is a dead pedal ? One can rest his leg on floor also.

2 yes Laura has better clutch but here we are talking about AT's (do also keep in mind Skoda's unreliable DSG's)

3 Laura is tuned for a softer ride than cruze. Again the stock tyres on Cruze ar JK's a swap will really change your mind on this.

4 I would disagree here. Cruze is better around the corner. Yes ESP does make laura a tad safer but then again i drive my cars with traction control off and i can hardly feel the difference.

On' date=' the modification front, at least in Inida - the Skoda Laura has got an advantage. Please look at the mods done by Pete's itself - http://www.petes.in/skodaproject.html
[/quote']

The kind of modification I am refering to can be done on your stock car. To modify a skoda you need to change tranny to accommodate the monster torque Cruze can do with changing its tranny.

Well,I agree with Skoda Superb:

Firstly when it comes to power delievery,the Laura is far far smoother and better too as compared to a Cruze.(I have an experience of both the cars of over 5000 kms).

What is better in the so called Diesel Rocket as compared to Laura,be practical guys,don't compare the cars on paper just compare them on highway.Is it only the acceleration which makes a car better?Is it only power and torque which makes a car better?

Don't the power delievery has any emphasis?

Right now I am out of time,but I'll make it sure that I mention every point where the Laura eclipses Cruze.

And yes,its nothing more than a myth that Cruze is better on highways,once try out Laura 2.0 TDi with 140ps and a DSG and see where is the Cruze in your rear view mirror(Laura is not faster than Cruze but is more confident at speeds and handles far far better so you can easily carry out insane speeds in Laura those are nightmare on Cruze,just once cross 180 on a Cruze and on a Laura and then tell me who is better there.)

@TSIvipul family members have both cruze and laura hence i am giving a balanced review.

The way the turbo kicks in has its thrill. For some its linear power delivery and for some the sudden knock does it. It all comes down to personal choice.

Swift is also known for its turbo kick isn't it ?

The modern cockpit and button start does add to the attraction plus you have a stunner.

Finally i would like to add :

For a more comfort and steady ride and driving pleasure it will be Laura .

For a more thrilling ride it will be cruze for me.

Jetta is another option. New passant will be out on 29th this month so expect New Jetta by late April.

@Sarabjeet:

My experience is same as that of yours(I am all about Laura 140 bhp and 32.6 kgm A/T not the 110 bhp and 25.5 kgm M/T).This time I agree with yousmiley32.gif ,though not completely,but still most of it.

You are right that power delivery is personal choice,like my friend who owns Cruze likes sudden boosts but I like my engine to respond in a uniform way. TSiVipul2011-03-23 00:57:13

Cruze A/T may be, but manual is a nightmare in the city. The huge lag and hard clutch make it a real chore to drive in the city. I found the Sonata CRDI lot more driveable than the Cruze, I have TDed both. Haven't tried Laura though.

does anyone of you know that the cruze has a system called gmlan???it is a form of a canbus.but gm claims it to be 50 times faster than other systems in cars like bmw,merc etc!!there is nothing like this in the laura smiley3.gif thanks to this system,every single feature of the cruze from the exit lighting to the safety systems can be adjusted using the info screen!!!the audio system itself is quite advanced as it is imported from USA from clarion and it even scans ID3 tags!!!! that means that it will sort the songs on the cd into-artists,genre,band etc etc etc!!!and according to me,the best feature is that the whole car is full of sensors!!!there is a sensor for virtually everything!!!it will check all the systems in the car and if there is any problem like if any bulb is fused or any short circuit,the car will give us a warning using numerical codes through the DIS.it even tells us if the car needs to be serviced!!with the code of the part neede to be serviced!!!does the laura or jetta have anything like this????

@Skoda SuperbYou had a big Jump from Santro to Superb ?

No, I took the leap from Tata Safari to Superb.

@vignesh

The Skoda Laura does show Service due date and Part replacement and all other customisable options in the Maxi DOT display.

The music system is one thing I am damn sure of - The Cruze's is a big disappointment for a person like me, who is not even someone close to a audiophile.

@Vignesh:

Can you please tell me how does this system help in increasing high speed stability equal to that of Laura,power delivery like that of Laura and the comfort and quality on offer.Here the matter is of driving pleasure not gadgets and goodies.

@nfs123:

Friend,please try not to make such comments which can hurt someone,you may have understood what I wanna say.

TSiVipul2011-03-23 13:09:26