dhaval070

suggest quality car under 6 lacs

I own wagon r 2009 model. But I am not happy with its suspension, wheelbase and power. I have to change gears too frequently to keep it in power in city. Moreover its not comfortable for 5 hours continous driving.

I drive in city 99% time but I do not want to compromise in power, leg room and suspensions. All knows our road conditions. And I want less gear changes required in city. I am 5'9'' tall and have to pull back seat while driving that makes rear passengers legs broken.

Please suggest a car for me.

If you wants the Spacious car with Ample low end torque, needing lesser Gearshifts then Hyundai i20 kappa Petrol is the car for you.

Just Test drive it & go for the variant suited to your Budget.

IMO, Hyundai i20 1.2 kappa Sportz is the car for you.

Since you drive a WagonR so we assume that you will want a petrol vehicle only and that too for city driving. Lets analyse our choices in addition to recommendations of Dr. Nishu:

1. Figo: Petrol Figo does not make the cut since requirement is that of a powerful car. Figo has only 70 horses.

2.Punto: Punto is out as it is not the most ideal car for city driving due to its long turning radius and visibility issue caused by A-pillar. Else Punto 1.4 would have been perfect as it is comfortable as well as powerful. You may test drive it.

3.Swift: Spoert suspension set up of Swift may be uncomfortable. Rear leg room is another issue.

4.Ritz: Strong contender. Suggest you to test drive it. Ticks all your boxes. Good engine, roomy interior and soft suspension. As a city car, body roll of Ritz will not be an issue.

5.Polo: Another strong contender. Comfortline model will come in your budget. With adjustable steering, best gearbox among hatch, amazing road manners and comfortable seat, Polo should suit you perfectly.

Lets not confuse you further. In case you are not yet confused, Micra is another very good city car.itssanguine2011-03-23 13:24:00

as per suggestions i20 looks superb. But heard that petrol version is underpowered considering its size  and wait. If not then it may be best buy. may be accent is more fun to joy than i20 due to 1500cc engine.

swift and ritz are close to wagon R in terms of wheelbase and leg space. so does not make much difference.

Polo and micra have 3 pot engines so worry about performance and noise.

Since you have a budget of approx 6 L you have whole lot of choices of cars to choose from :

You have following options

All Price indicated are approximate :

Hatchback :

- Tata Indica Vista  : Rs.3,80 L to Rs.4,90 L

- Tata Indica Vista 90 : Rs.4,40 L to Rs.5,75 L 
==>  For big cabin space and for comfortable drive considering your height.

- Ford Figo (Petrol) :  Rs.3.50 L to Rs.4.50 L  

- Ford Figo (Diesel) : Rs.4,50 L to Rs.5.30 L 
==> To enjoy diesel economy and proven and well accepted vehicle.

- Hyundai i10 : Rs. 3,71 L to Rs.5.50 L

- Hyundai i10 (Automatic) - Apprx Rs.6,25 L - 
Best option as per your use and requirement.

- Hyundai i20 : Rs. 4,60 L  to Rs.7,80 L

- Nissan Micra : Rs.4 L to Rs.5,30 L

- Maruti Ritz : Rs 4,00 L to Rs.5,35 L 
==> For Maruti's reliability.  ===> Big Cabin Space 
==> High roof considering your height     ==> Smooth engine.
==> Best suited for city driving.

- Maruti Swift : Rs.4,10 L to Rs.5,50 L

- Volkswagen Polo :  Rs.4,35 L to Rs.6,70 L
==> For Brand      ==> Build quality    

- Skoda Fabia : Rs.4,35 L to Rs. 6,70 L
==> Great looks    ===> Build quality 

- Fiat Grande Punto : Rs.4,30 L to Rs.6,80 L

Sedan :

- Hyundai Accent : Rs. 5 L to Rs.5.40 L 

==> Proven vehicle once considered luxury now available at very reasonable price.

- Tata Indigo Manza : Rs.4.80 L to Rs.6.75 L
==> Best for all reasons

- Mahindra Logan : Rs.4,70 L to Rs.6,38 L

- Maruti Swft Dzire : Rs.4,95 L to Rs.7,15 L 

SUVs / MUVs / Vans

Mahindra Bolero : Rs .4,90 L to Rs.6,75 L 
==> Most successful SUV from M&M quite suitable for City as well as highway and also offroad driving.

Mahindra Thar : Rs.4,50 L to Rs. 6,00 L
==> Not recommended if you are driving only in city.

Tata Sumo Grande MKII - Rs.5,80 L to Rs.7,80 L 
==> For sheer road presence.
==> Big cabin and space.

Tata Venture : Rs.4,10 L to Rs.5,10 L
==> Very Nice and practical vehicle by Tata giving big space in small dimensions.

I may have missed some but these are best available options for you.

Best of luck for your new purchase.   smiley20.gif

Post edited: Un-wanted Emoticons removed.
BornFree2011-03-23 17:17:50

What I would suggest is you to completely avoid Hyundai i20 at all cost due to this steering rattling issue which is yet to be resolved.

Heard of this only but haven't seen any yet in reality.

Around 9-10 persons in my contact are having i20s with oldest of them is 1.5years old & none of them have got this trouble neither anyone have Replaced any of its steering component yet.

So Probabilty of its creeping in is there but nothing can be said with surety.

I am an i20 owner and yes I had the steering rattle problem but now the problem has gone and after driving more than 5000 kms the noise hasn't come back . Its only the incompetant service centres of Hyundai which cannot solve the problem .

Anyways the i20 1.2lt petrol is underpowered but its good enough for city driving . I would suggest you the i10 ASTA or wait for the new swift to come.

i20 may be a good car, but in my POV, it has 3 major flaws to be addressed.

1. Bad AC

2. Suspected steering rattle

3. Soon to get replaced engine(Will get VTEC soon)

For a good petrol car under 6 L with good space,

I would recommend a Ritz or wait for Liva/AN Swift.

Another Choice if ok with pre-owned, Used  Jazz

OT: Hyundai has introduced new i10 and Verna replacement (RB) & new Sonata are in pipeline - all sharing new corporate grill. It is evident that new i20 should be around the corner. So Hyundai will not do much at this point to address all the flaws as mentioned by @creativebala . They would rather concentrate on new i20.

Hi Dhawal,

For your budget and concerns, you can opt for any one of the following -

Maruti Suzuki Ritz (Petrol or Diesel)

Ford Figo (Strictly Diesel)

Tata Indica (Strictly Diesel)

All the cars mentioned above have the following -

4 cylinder engines, hence less NVH

Awesome space

Amazing power and city driveability

The only let down is the Figo which is the worst in terms of accessories and features. Its a poor man's car, but the drive is really good.

Hope this helps.

First of all for all i20 fans am sorry to admit that all i20 Kappa owners who I know complain about:

1. Some generous steering rattling sound

2. Seriously underpowered with AC on. Just no pick up at all. So you have work with the gears to keep it at high revs.

3. AC not effective(An i20 Kappa Sportz owner says so)

But the i20 diesel rocks no problem about that.

Since you drive 99% in city and want power and space, try:

1. Indica Vista 90 petrol -->good power,space. Test drive it.

2. Hyundai i10 Kappa2 --> Great petrol engine and overall faultless.

According to me, the best option would be Polo or fabia, either of them are really good. Only con is be ready to shell out 15k on service every year.

Otherwise just buy a good second hand car. You could get a Scorpio which would be perfect for your needs. I would recommend buy a second hand Octavia, which you should get for around 4 lacks.

Once you drive a German car, you will never drive a jap again.

My suggestion is buy a 2nd hand esteem .. do a engine job, suspension, clutch and some stuff u think can improve the ride and performance .. and forget the car for next 3 to 4 yrs .. it will be cheap for u and suzuki parts as u know are not expensive also ..