bikerboy

Used Suv in 8-9 lacs

I currently own a hyundai accent. Now i am planning to buy a used SUV in budget of 8-9 lacs. What i want is the road presence and status of a SUV.

My parking space is quite low, so the smaller the better for me..

Fortuner is obviously not possible in my budget.

Endeavour is out of list because of size.

Captiva my favourite but will i get one i my budget.

I like the grand vitara also, but i m worried about its high running cost.

Or any other suggestions.. Please help me.

You could buy a new innova.

Well with your budget you would these car -

Mitsubishi Pajero

Hyundai Tucson

Grand Vitara

Endeavour 4x4

Scorpio

More cars with good status and features.

Skoda laura 2006, L&K DSG gear box.

Honda accord.

Honda civic.

Skoda superb 2005. Comfort line model.

All these car will cost alot due to the number of years it ran.

Try to get your hand on the Hyundai Tucson or the 2nd generation honda CRV they are small enough to fit in a small car parking space and have good road presence.

Yep... A Pajero or a CRV.

If its going to be a soft road ride, the CRV it is. You can easily get a 2007 model for that price.

But with any used SUV, the maintenance costs are going to be a little on the higher side.

Do check the kms the SUV has clocked, on what surface, maintenance records, suspensions etc.

You might get a Captiva in your budget actually

pajero and tucson both looks outdated now..

n i dont think  the latest gen CRV will be available in my budget..

or if i drop the idea of the SUV.

do you guys suggest going in for a 3yr old laura. as i m not going to do any offroading i want suv just for their road presence.

Avoid used Skoda car & that too 3-4years or 50000kms driven, as;

-1stly, Skoda cars are very expensive to maintain, due to its very very expensive Spare parts.

-2ndly, at 50k kms or after 3-4years many of its basic parts needs compulsory replacement like Clutch plates, Brake pads, etc & the bills for the latter alone runs easily into lacs of Rupees.

-3rd, Skoda Dealer/ASC poor attitude towards its customers.

-4th, 1-1.5 years Old Skoda & VW cars(Jetta & Passat) came with 1.9l Pumpe duse TDi diesel engines, which were low on tech & Complex & high on maintenance fronts.

So leaving 2-3 years Old Skoda makes better sense.

Instead better is to look for Sparingly used Chevrolet CRUZE VCDi or Optra Magnum TCDi diesel, as both are relatively cheaper & easier to maintain in long term use.

Due to its limited or No Success you'll come across the used one at very Reasonable price but don't expect its Service to be typical Maruti like, as Its not a Maruti its a SUZUKI (typical Suzuki) means its a car build & Imported from Suzuki's parent plant, Japan as CBU(Completly build unit).

Maruti dealers or ASC's hardly stock any of its parts, they're available just on the Order only which is a again a mess of Importing it & all that.

So, better is to go Made in India SUVs like Scorpio, Safari, etc if you want true peace of mind. 
dr_nishu2011-03-31 20:09:19

If I have been in your place than I have gone for an second hand Honda accord and have given it a black and black combo (black car with black tints a, 17 or 18 inch black alloys and smoked lights).

I am sure it can beat many SUV in terms of road presence and Honda cars are well known of their reliability and you could even have some performance mods if you want to have some frills from your car later on. You can get an decent accord for 7-8 lacs and 50k for alloys and tints etc.

Heres a link, you can your choice for second hand suv's for your budget.

http://www.carwale.com/used/search.aspx?ltsrc=234z1&gclid=CJHinaKd_KcCFQd76wodDX4prg#dist=50&bs=6&budget=3&city=1

Captiva or crvs you wont get it at your budget unless its a 2005 model or before.

Its no point buying an old suv, You shouldn't trust a stranger while spending so much money, Maintainence will be high.

If you want suv, then stretch your budget. Do not buy an suv older then 4 years. Your best bet would be going in for a second accord. OR you can buy the new Cruze for your budget, Which engines give your power of a 15-20 lack car range.

I really like skoda or german cars you could say, thats why i recommend it. Buy a 2008 laura for less around 6 lacks at keep 50k to 1lack for servicing over the years. You will save more.

I recommend the Hyundai Tucson which is very compact for a suv. It's a car that I know very well, someone has one in my family. It's very reliable 150000km and 0 problems, with a very good equipment. Very pleasant : powerful and quiet!

It's a 4WD but I don't know the real off-road capacities smiley1.gif

If you are looking for something that has a road presence the Ford Endeavour should be a good buy. These depreciate very fast and good ones are available for Rs 9-10 L. Spares availability for the Endeavour is much better compared to the Vitara or Tucson. The Honda CRV  is OK but powered by a petrol engine and the fuel consumption is on the higher side.And the Pajero is a dated model but some prefer it for the sturdiness and reliability.

To get a good Endeavour lots of checks need to be done as faulty ones can be expensive to maintain.

anjan_c20072011-04-05 16:52:57

@anjan .. ya parking problem

tucson is good but it kind of looks outdated now...

my final list is:

Captiva(if in budget), Vitara, Crv, civic or laura..

what you suggest of these. please no other car.

@Bikerboy: You wanted a SUV, Why backing, thinking of a Civic and the laura? The GV is the best of the lot when compared to Captiva or the CRV! The Suzuki GV is more refined and gives you more pleasure while driving, and trust me it has the excellent off road capabilities amongst the lot, and u can play with mud and slush during your weekends. Captiva is best too, but then you will have to stretch your budjet. CRV outdated, you wont get the new gen CRV for the budget.

. my final list is:Captiva(if in budget)' date=' Vitara, Crv, civic or laura..what you suggest of these. please no other car.

[/quote']

Once i had Chevy Captiva. It is not so reliable dude. Diesel pump were failed at the speed of 170kmph which means it is not so worthy to use forever, i sold it out due to the bad experiance. But it may vary from person to person. Vitara is not a sucessful model. CR-V is the cheap and best for your budget, hence it is not a diesel version. comparing with laura, i would suggest you Honda civic due to the mandatory option you listed above. Laura has AC probs/ Engine probs and moreover skoda is a problematic, high maintance hero.

CR-V and CIVIC would be my option. HONDA

@anjan .. ya parking problem

tucson is good but it kind of looks outdated now...

my final list is:

Captiva(if in budget)' date=' Vitara, Crv, civic or laura..

what you suggest of these. please no other car.

[/quote']

Thanks bikerboy .I did not read about the parking problems in your first post. The Endeavour is out certainly.

The used Captivas will be priced beyond your budget.

The CRV (you will get the old gen) is OK from among the list  you have quoted.

The Civic is fine but the ground clearance is too low and since you appear to be more interested in a SUV you can stick to one.

Skodas are problematic to maintain due to the erratic lot of dealers are high spares costs.A used one may be more problematic.Usually these are chauffeur driven and most of these fellows  care little for the car they drive.

You can also rethink and add Scorpio to your list.It a really tough SUV with a commendable road presence. The Safari has problems and also depreciates very fast.

I am a very satisfied owner of a 2009 (bought brand new) Scorpio.

With your budget you can get a 2-3 year old SLX or even a VLX version.Go only for the Refreshed version (post March 2009).