visanj

Please suggest: Car with good suspension

I'm planning to sell my i10 car and go for any other car with good ride quality as I'm not feeling comfortable with bumpy ride and I got back pain

Could

anyone please suggest me a car with good ride quality? Suspension/Ride

quality is top most priority (Should be able to handle small patches to

large potholes/bumps). My budget is 6 lakhs max

I have some options which includes Figo,

Punto, Micra and also I heard new wagon r has good suspension. If wagon r

is really good in terms of my requirements then I am willing to go for

this as i don't need to spend much

Please suggest.

Thanks

Visanj

The best Ride Comfort follows this order with starting from the best one,

Punto= Fabia> Polo> Figo> i20> Swift> Micra> Beat> Wagon-R & others.

But amongst all I'd prefer & advice you Volkswagen Polo for its well sorted out Neat quality package.
dr_nishu2011-03-30 19:17:36

Well WagonR is a small car and though its suspension good its body roll will not make things comfortable inside.

Try the Ford Figo or Fiat Punto. They both have excellent ride and handling.

Ford Figo is best value for money option with very good ride and handling and it costs only 5-5.25 lacs only for top variant diesel engine.

Otherwise Fiat Punto is the best car in ride department. But If you can go with its somewhat high price and less after sales, it is the best hatch for you.

VW Polo and Skoda Fabia also have good ride quality. But they are very costly and even does not have features that are available in more than 1 lac cheaper Ford Figo.You will have extra premium only for their Bedge value. I do not think that it will be a wise decision.

Do not consider Hyundai, Maruti or any Asian brand for your ride comfort.

Basically it is fight between Figo and Punto for you.

Thanks a lot for all of your suggestion

but due to space constraint in my residence I can't park a car with more than 1600mm wide (my current i10 is the maximum size which I can park).

So Could anyone please let me if I have any other option as the cars which you suggest are minimum of 1600mm wide.

Do I have any other option other than Wagon R which has superior ride quality over bumps/potholes?

Thanks

Visanj

Visanj i understand your concern. Hyundai Santro, i10, Verna all feel like pogo sticks because they rock too much, and this bobbing up and down is what very irritating moreso on potholed roads. Look into your owners manual and try setting the air pressure for your tyre's one less than whats mentioned. It may help. This jumpy nature should not be confused with ride quality though, as once the surface is smooth the i10 glides over them.

Punto and Fabia would be the best choice.

Also check-out Palio Stile for better ride quality.

Considering your budget you may also consider to go for sedans such as Indigo XL, Dzire, Manza or Logan (best option for better ride quality) . 

Ford Fiesta Classic is expected to launch soon which may fit into your budget and has best ride quality and small dimensions as per your specific requirement.

Palio Stile is obsolete I guess and all tata cars will give you trouble in the long run. Out of small cars, Chevy Beat has good ride but handling isnt too good. You can try Ritz zxi or Figo also. 

VW Polo is the better option comparing with the other hatch backs so far.

Petrol highline(varient) is a good choice (If  6lakh budget). Heard 5,32000rs (Ex-Showroom price). Will come between 6 to 6.4lakh On-road pricing..

Thanks a lot for all of your inputs

I had a test drive of Ford Figo and to my surprise ride is quiet bumpy and its not soft even when compared to Wagon R. I dont' know why the Figo is like that

Let me have a test drive of Beat as I think both beat and my current i10 shares same dimensions.

Thanks again for your inputs

For the ride quality that you have in mind you have to move to a Corolla Altis with a soft suspension that absorbs the bumps. I think you want the ride of a land yacht. That sort of ride quality you can get only in Entry level midsize category. I think it would be better for you to take a look at the Manza, that may just slip in to you budget. Or if you want something smaller, have a look at the Vista.

Yes true DD. The Manza from among the sub Rs 10 L cars has a much better suspension, perhaps the best in its class. I found the Manza to be a great improvement over the older Indigo.The AC is excellent and so is the comfort offered to passengers.The backlighted dash meters and controls offer a  pleasant look during night driving. Its light years ahead of the DZire and others in its class as far as the suspension goes.

I can't park a car with more than 1600mm wide (my current i10 is the maximum size which I can park). So Could anyone please let me if I have any other option as the cars which you suggest are minimum of 1600mm wide.

The best option for you is to go for Chevrolet Beat as its having same width as i10 but is having better Track, Road stability & Ride Comfort.

Its Cruising ability is so well contained that you can easily cruise in it at 130+kmph speeds.

3-year Free Maintenance program is another plus with it.

Another option is longer Wheelbased Wagon-R but its stability & ride comfort suffers than Beat due to lighter body & low profile tyres.

But if you want the low cost mile munching then wait for New Beat Diesel coming in June2011, which is expected to deliver FE of around 25kmpl.

Thanks a lot for your inputs

I'm seriously considering Beat now. But I'm trying to call GM (KLN/Sundaram Motors) for test drive but they are not responding properly. If Sales is so lethargic I am wondering how the ASS will be

Thanks a lot for your inputs

I'm seriously considering Beat now. But I'm trying to call GM (KLN/Sundaram Motors) for test drive but they are not responding properly. If Sales is so lethargic I am wondering how the ASS will be

Be patient and go for your decision, if you like the car. I was treated better by chevrolet guys, still i opted for polo becuase i preferred this car over Beat. Sometimes experience may be bad in the beginning , try to contact other dealers as well. Beat is a good car to own. After all it is car , which will accompany you for years. Dealer can be changed.

Just a wiered Idea. Put a CNG Cylinder in Boot. You will definitely feel a sea-change in your ride quality. I m saying from my own experience. I have 2004 Santro, which I recently converted in to CNG and voilla... rear bumpy ride has been reduced drastically. Alternatively, check the ride quality of I-10/Santro fitted with CNG kit.

Alternatively, you should opt for longer wheel-based low slug cars cars to avoid impact on your back. So wagon-r, beat all are out of question. Try I-20 if space permits. Best of luck.

I tried once again but not getting any response from Chevrolet dealers

I'm going for Wagon R as I had test drive today and I was really impressed by its cycle-like behavior (light controls, good visibility and easily manoeuvrable) and soft suspension as well. I am wondering how come I didn't get this ride quality in Figo, Fabia etc though Wagon R was in worst condition (16kms and I heard ratting sounds).

I'm thinking to go for Wagon R itself as it seems my main requirement is ride quality and I don't drive more than 50kmph and I don't drive in Highways even in weekends. So stability is not a concern for me. I am looking for a car which rides well within city speed limits.

Thanks a lot for all of your opinions and suggestions. Your suggestions were really helpful

Now could anyone please let me know which is the best maruti dealer in chennai?

----------- No salutations please.sgiitk2011-04-08 11:05:27

Dear Visanj , I think you should also look at the ergonomics of the car more closely as this is also a factor that determines how effortlessly you can drive a car. Yes, a good suspension setup is necessary but without ergonomics - all that features and suspension are nothing.

This (ergonomic) factor depends on each individual's own "taste" and you should take a test drive of all the shortlisted cars before taking the final decision.

When both the ride and ergonomic factors are taken into consideration , I would suggest you take a closer look at the VW Polo and the Skoda Fabia. The VW Polo will offer you a more stiff and sporty ride while the Skoda Fabia will give you more space, softer suspension setup and a well - engineered car.

Both these cars are well- engineered and suits you perfectly.

@Visan,

don't get carried away by GM's sales guy. Even I own a chevy, I tried for its TD before buying, which I never got. But the AfSS of Chevy in Sundaram is mighty. I swear, Beat is much better than Wagon R as a over all package. The AfSS part is also better in GM than MSIL(IMHO).