tejasmehta990

Tata Safari Merlin : Yeh dil Mange More

Tata safari Merlin's testing is going in fullfledge way and this time it seems that Tata is giving importance to each and every  details as they did in the Aria.

tata-safari-merlin-front1.jpg

From spy pics it seems more prominence is given to the front and from side bigger tires are nice from looks point of view as well as matching with character of the Safari. 

Expecting more better interiors (Current interiors is also nice)

The main thing should be to have strong engine.

If priced in between Scropio and Xylo it will be a game changer for Tata in the SUV segment.

Previously it was an good looking SUV and now with new alloys from Aria and headlight it is looking even better.

It can give Scorpio a very tough competition if Tata is pricing it fairly with feature that can compete with top end Scorpio.

Does not look any different than a change to the headlights and side mouldings. The front resembles the Sumo Grande headlights...

Overall, pretty much the same car.

Expecting more better interiors (Current interiors is also nice)

Agreed with the first part of the statement. But the second part is contradictory. Tata interiors have low-grade plastics; there is a large scope of improvement here!

Even the side plastic mouldings seems to be of better quality. But they should do some more changes to the side to get more macho look to perfectly called as SUV.

In the interior we can expect ARIA like center screen on the dash as well as some other bits and pieces of Aria but the roof pockets as in Aria should be avoided in the New Safari. 

Interior space is quite ample in current safari and same will be there in new one also because from the spy pics it seems there is very little change is being done to original size and dimensions.

I think,with new alloys from Aria and headlight it's looking even better.And it can give a very tough competition.That's good thing that,high features with good capacity engine.Thanks for sharing such a nice information.

The only thing I am worried about is the drivability. I have not seen a car with wrose handling than the current gen Safari. Lets hope something has been done about that.

Also the interiors need considerable improvement.

We can also expect in the New Safari Merlin complete flat luggage area after the seas get folded. And if this feature is implemented Tata Safari probably will have largest luggage area in it's segment and will be a on plus side where Xylo failed miserably.

@Tejas: That and also a third row AC vent instead of the second row. Aria like touch screen display, better plastics and a reworked interior with smart space utility. I would really like to see some inspiration taken from the pricier SUVs in terms of dash design.

Hope the handling issue too is addressed.

And I just wonder... Why is the name "Merlin"?? isn't this an SUV?

OK Guys. There is some news out about the new Safari !!!

Cheers, it's going to be launched in June 2011 and now it's 150 BHP
It's the news shared by our collegue on another Auto Forum site.

Guys' date=' I had been to a feedback session organised by TML plant people [primarily, meant for Safari customers'] where I was shared the following, but no commitments [as expected].[/Quote]

Post Edited: Long quote removed.
BornFree2011-04-13 16:44:47

This car is something I eyed for so long. I loved the drive in the old Tata Dicor 2.2L, but the quality of the interiors were a big let down.

I hope they address this aspect in the present model.

Yes Merlin sounds odd, when it comes to naming an SUV, too girlish for me.

Why can't Tata improve the quality of their After Sales Service??? Their ASS is the worst at the moment.

Mods has deleted the most vital discussion of @shanthanreddyp's posting (quote).

But the most vital information out is that this vehicle is on the X2 platform. That's the reason for the extensive testing, a reason for delayed launch. So it's an old body bolted onto the new & lighter Hydroform X2 chassis.

If you have observed the suspension from the rear the 2010 Safari has 3 clamps to each side of the rear drive shaft. But what I have noticed is that the new one under test has only 2 on each side. So there seems to be a major change to the suspension setup as well.

TAUREAN CZAR2011-04-15 20:41:01

2011 Tata Safari is expected to be launched in India in a couple of

months but nothing about its export is announced officially by Tata

Motors.

Mr S G Saksena, Utility Vehicles Head, Tata Motors said,

This time Tatas are expected to take a big leap forward,lets see what Tatas have in its arsenal for us people.In my views this time all the quality etc etc issues must come to an end.If yes,then my innova is going to be replaced.

From the information it seems New Tata Safari will be a step ahead of it's predecessors as well as M&M's vehicles.

New Safari will give serious fight to Scorpio as well as Xylo.

If Tata come up with better version of Sumo Gande MKII, Tata can retain it's lost position in SUV / MUV segment.

Tata should let Jaguar design the interiors and Land rover design the mechanicals. That would improve the interiors and maybe some of LR's offroading magic will rub off on the Merlin

But i don't know about the 150 bhp bit because Mahindra's new SUV is rumoured to have a twin turbo 170 bhp engine

Off late there has been a proper side pic of the safari taken in broad daylight.

538267d1304254164-tata-merlin-suv-spotte

The vehicle seems to have and all wheel disc breaks ala- Aria.

Also the front fascia seems to have flattened to otherwise curved older model.

This will give an impression of a larger front face and will give it a luxury look.

But the major discussion is the price band slotting of both these vehicles

Aria 4X4

Aria 4X2

Safari

Merlin

I Think TATA should plan as follows:

1. Scrap Safari VX

2. Provide 4X4 only on EX (old gen models)

3. Aria 4X2 stripped up to rear drum brakes- Bare basic.

4. Top end model should have only 2 Airbags and ABS.

Price Range:

Safari LX & EX           7.75L to 8.75L

Aria 4X2                      9.0L to 10.5L

Merlin                          10.5L to 12L

Aria 4X4                      13L to 15L

Then every model will have a price band and will not eat into each other as customer can choose between them.

TAUREAN CZAR2011-05-02 10:36:20

Tata Merlin was supposed to be launched in June 2011. I do not know what has gone wrong.

To my certain  information from the internal source it has the same engine and transmission as in Aria.All versions are AWD .It was thought that Merlin kerb weight would be significantly less than Safari.My friend whos is testing Merlin at TM reported me the kerb weight of 2200 kg with 150 A 12 V alternator.( In safari it is less )and disc brake on all wheels.The sterling feature of Merlin is exceptionally very good on road performance, better than any other diesel SUV in India.

He had reached maximum speed of 160 kms/hr in 2WD mode.The car was absolutely silent and found smooth upto 140 kms/hr.Initial pick up is bit slow than the fortuner.But it is more smooth than the fortuner at higher speed.For Indian market , tyre option is 235/70/R16.

It has also been tested with 17" and 18" wheels.

Another Merlin version with 3.0 L diesel engine and different type of transfer case ( probably for serious off roading ) is under testing.

Another Merlin version with 3.0 L diesel engine and different type of?transfer case ( probably for serious off roading ) is under testing.

smiley3.gif

That's a good news.

It it develops around 200-220 BHP, then it'll burn up the roads...

Hope the transfer case is a 6 speed manual or Automatic.

Any news of a petrol mill for western markets where TML is scheduling a launch shortly?

shanthanreddyp2011-05-18 04:45:57

After analysing all these pictures i feel,

External visuals:

The cladding is made smaller than existing ones used now.

Front face is decent but not luxurious. Now vehicle look more boxy due to the sharper front fender design.

QvVzUs.jpg

G7etps.jpg

1KtMFs.jpg

Interiors:

Dashboard design seems to be all new.

W9gv5s.jpg

MavpSs.jpg

AC blowers taking a cue from Vista/Manza

OFl4ss.jpg

@Taurean Czar:

Whats the source of above pics as they are too small to notice anything?

You really cannot say anything before you see the car in flesh because the pictures cannot really speak what they contain.

579038d1311010873-tata-merlin-suv-spotte

Still no front facing 3rd row smiley19.gif. Stands nowhere close to current Safari in looks department. Why did Tata cameout with this iteration? All Safari needed is just Fit 'n Finish and Good interiors, which can easily be done to existing Safari, so Why a Merlin?

PS- The rear reminds me of Sonalika Rhino.
creativebala2011-07-18 19:17:23

Looks like TATA have taken cues from Toyota Fortuner. They have added lots of bulge that makes overall impression as a very heavy and sturdy vehicle which was lacking in previous safari. Alloys also looks nice. smiley20.gif.

But still this is mind blowing design. smiley32.gif

This time TML has got it right in designing the rear right atleast not brilliantly. It surely has matched the international looks of SUVs.

This design will surely make strides and push up sales chart. I'm surely picking this up as we require jump seats for our security men.

A Sure thumbs up from politicians. smiley20.gifsmiley20.gifsmiley20.gif

@Taurean Czar:

Whats the source of above pics as they are too small to notice anything?

[/Quote]

Sorry for the thumb sized pics.

I am reposting them.

Front end pics edited for brightness & contrast for better visuals:

QvVzUh.jpg

G7etp.jpg

Interior dash board pics:

OFl4s.jpg

MavpS.jpg

W9gv5.jpg

Faux wood inserts are limited and decent

and new air vents are good a-la Vista/Manza.

Chrome strip adds charector.

Now i think base variant has an audio system though it is a mono din version. But i'm sire the top end will get a double din like that on the ARIA.

Dual tine dash for sure and bisected. Huge holder tray in top center of dash board welcome move.

But one big doubt now.

The vehicle rear has no hinges visible outside. So should we think the door opens like the INNOVA/ ARIA or conventional type a-la old SAFARI/ SCORPIO

TAUREAN CZAR2011-07-19 06:54:59