i wanted to install sunfilm on my vw vento. so i went to the opera house VKool dealer to get the price. i know vkool films are expensive but here is the price quoted by him :-

Economy range= side & rear=60% HR= 7417

Elegant range=side & rear=76%HR=11828

Select Range=Side & rear=92%HR=22420

there were three types of front windshiled films the prices he quoted me are as follows:-

1)12823(dono the model no)

2)Vk75= 10887

3)VK60=8937

are the prices fare?

should i ask him for more discount?

Come to think of it. I think I got a good deal for my Elantra Garware charged me 1500 rupees and it was done at my place and have no cause for complaint, its holding on well even after 5 years. Don't go to fancy 'plate glass' showrooms for dowdy things like sunfilm. I think what you have been quoted is a rip off, I think you should shop around the bylanes. 

Even the VW showroom does not have such hefty charges for sunfilm.Here are the sun film prices available at VW showrooms:

Solar Control Film Economy        6R0 071 FLM IND 1,275

Solar Control Film Premium        6R0 072 FLM IND 2,450

Solar Control Film Exclusive       6R0 073 FLM IND 4,423

Solar Control Film Exclusive Clear 6R0 074 FLM IND 6,099

It is not someone personally liking a brand or not, it is very important to ensure that whatever brand you use, it should be meeting the RTA guidelines.

And, more importantly, it should come with a "genuine certificate" which you can carry in your car. 

In the absence of such a certificate, traffic police can stop you and slap fines for using sub-standard (which does not meet the RTA standards) stuff.

In my case, I have gone in for Garware for my Xylo's all four doors, two quarter glasses, one rear door and the front windshield as only Garware Pack was coming with such a Certificate.  

Now-a-days, may be others like 3M also come with certification.  But, I am not sure.

Anyway, the rates quoted are extremely on the high side.  My Xylo job (done  in may be April or May 2009) was done for 4200 for all other panels and 2200 for windshield.  I paid less than the MRP rates printed on the packs.  That depends solely on you.

what is wrong in other much cheaper films like 3M ?

They give you quality /warranty and are way cheaper..

I have 3M all over the sides and windshield(anti-glare) and it works very well.. Have had no issue whatsoever

what is wrong in other much cheaper films like 3M ?
They give you quality /warranty and are way cheaper..

There is nothing wrong with cheaper films.  Or, for that matter, any film.

Almost all of them are cheap, are of decent quality and some may even provide warranty.  Every manufacturer worth his name will give warranty. 

This kind of warranty is known as product warranty and is given mostly

for replacement of defective product during a specified period of use.

But the whole issue is whether such a "product warranty" is valid as a

"Certificate as approved by and as needed by RTA authorities" ?

If you think it is so, then you may be right.  But, if the traffic police inspector

does not think so, you are in trouble.  Simple.

Instead of spending on a lot of money over films I'd suggest picking up 3M with anti-glare(for windshield) and then picking up another night-time driving glasses with the money you would save ;)

@Prashant;

I've Garware Suncontrol film(50-70%) on 5 windows of my car(including tail-gate) & its really working fine since more than a year.

Even one of my friend & cousin have got the same installed on their cars after checking out the mine.

It've costed me some 950 bucks at that time. Also heard that it costs around Rs.1200 now.

Another option at that time was Llumar Sunfilms, the latter was 50% expensive over the Garware ones.

3M is also having a good range & infact one of our ACI-ian 'rssh' have got those installed on his i20 CRDi.

You can ask him via PM-ing for further details.

The thing is even with a written proof or not if the police are really the kings in this country and can/have/will get away with anything.. So you can be made to pay irrespective of what you have or dont have..

Besides 3M gives you a card that has full details.. just keep it in your cabin and go on hoping that the next police you meet is a genuine person that's all..