dr_nishu

Hatchback blues, now SEDAN CLUES (pg10)

Buying a diesel means more cost of maintenance in the long run. So do not strike out a Suzuki. May end up lighter-on-wallet than Germans.

Driving Pleasure' date=' Strong build, Quality & feel are my priorities over actual running costs & I didn't bother about spending 2-3k more annualy on a vehicle offering all these than a conventional car.

I'm still in doubt that will New Swift be able to deliver some of these !!

Can somebody throw light on Fiat Punto 2011 ! !

Heard that Fiat have really improved on its quality levels. How much of this is true ? ?

Else book a Dzire Zdi and wait for delivery.

!!!

Not even a Remote option for me, instead I'd like to go for VW Vento 1.6 TDi Trendline or Upcoming New Fiesta.

Checked out & Test Driven Fiat Punto Emotion Pack Diesel yesterday.

What I liked:

-Tough & one of the best build quality seen across this segment(sorry to Polo from now).

-Exhaustive list of equipment in Emotion Pk variant.

-Interior quality is good & now better than corresponding MS & Hyundais.

-Excellent Highway Stability.

-Me & Dad both liked it overall.

About which I'm doubtful:

-Reliability(as previous Puntos suffered with many Cost-cutting Quality issues) but heard that Post March2010 Puntos are trouble free now.

But Still !!  I want a car which will not leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere.  

But still I need clarifications about this, So ACI-ians please throw some light on this.
dr_nishu2011-05-02 19:26:11

I want a car which will not leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere.  

You are buying an MJD dude.

Don't worry about the above issue. When you don't see a Swift/Vista/SX4/Linea stranded on the road' date=' why expecting it from your car?

Moreover, the Fiat's response in case of highway assistance even for Palio is so good, so leave that issue.

The one 'n only issue still persisting with Fiat is "Non availabilty of spares for a longer period". If only they address(concreter soln.) this issue, they can easily sell 3-4 times their current nos.

Driving Pleasure(A strong Punto contender, performance wise, even better), Strong build(suppose to be far better than out going Swift), Quality(much better) & feel....
I'm still in doubt that will New Swift be able to deliver some of these !!

creativebala2011-05-03 03:26:40

Dear Dr. Nishu, from the cars you have short listed, give another shot to I-20. Steering rattle issue is not that big and not attached to all the I-20s manufactured. It was present in few cars and can be and will be rectified, if emerged. 2+2 years warranty package will take care of it. You shall not ignore car for only one reason, when all other things are in place to match your requirement.

I would advice you to stay away from FIAT. Don't you think that they are not that much serious for India as well as for their customer. Quality issues, non-availability of spares and improper service are not acceptable at all. I m not sure, whether they have improved their quality post March-10, but there were issues and it was much bigger than I-20's steering issue.

Best of luck.

Polo is the best except for it's engine,but that is not big reason for not buying it

Figo has a great engine and handling everything else is below avg.I would buy this unless I'm going to keep it for more than 4 years.

i20 I haven't seen a diesel version ever,only positive is hyundai brand value in India,spares are slightly more expensive than Polo.

If u prefer for more in car entertainment i suggest u go for i20 . If u wanna have a nice firm ride go for fabia u know skoda has the cars with best handling (heard skoda is improving their service ) . When i am inside i20 it gave me a rich appeal because of the interiors and all . That my suggestion

I want a car which will not leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere.  

You are buying an MJD dude.

Don't worry about the above issue. When you don't see a Swift/Vista/SX4/Linea stranded on the road' date=' why expecting it from your car?
[/quote']

Other than engine, there're lot more moving/essential components in a car.

I've trust on its engine, but doubtful about its Clutch hydraulics & other mechanical issues.

Frankly speaking, I got 75% votes of criticism while in thinking for going with Punto.

Another good thing happened with me;

Got the keys of my friend's 2-months Old Ford Figo ZXi TDCi yesterday afternoon with a Chance & time to drive it for 2-3hrs.

Rest Nothing is left to be expained.

Just enjoyed each & everybit of it in North India's Scorching summer but thankfully Ford Figo chiller AC have coverted my driving into a Pleasurable experience.   

=> Still update you soon guys, about the latest decision happened in our family for a car.

dr_nishu2011-05-03 12:09:06

Dr.Nishu,

I own a Linea MJD Dynamic Pack, & am driving the same for the past 15 months & covered 27 k kms. To me there no issues of repairs as you have doubted about the Clutch, Hydraulic & other Mechanicals. The car is still as good it is when I had bought it 15 months back. The service herein Coimbatore is really fantastic(I do not know about other places), day before yesterday my car was called for a free check up, it was done in 2 hours with exceptional quality. Frankly speaking nowadays I do not respond to the negative critisism about Fiat Service as I am very comfortable with the car & service offered.

Another aspect you have mentioned, 75% votes of criticism while thinking about Fiat Punto, whether these 75% own a Fiat Car ? (No offence ment).

If you are confident in owning a Fiat car then I feel the confidence levels would be there about the car & service.

Heard that Punto is going to come with Linea's beige interiors,and ASS is good/avg according to owners.But resale value could be less.

Punto will be surely more enjoyable than the underpowered i20 petrol which is the segment leader.  

My priorities are:

-Good Highway stability.

-Ample Torque & Powerband to clock miles on Highways without a fuss.

-Refined yet Silent package(Lowest NVH).

-Good Interiors.

My 2 cents:

Good highway stability: Punto, Polo, Figo, Swift

Torque & powerband for highway: Punto, Swift

NVH: Punto, Swift: Polo a no-no.

Good interior: Polo, Swift: Figo a no-no & Punto so-so.

So none completely fulfill your requirement. New Swift D will take atleast 6months to reach your garage considering launch delay & waiting period. So if i were in your shoes, Punto would have made the cut.

@Polo owners(mndvishnu, ashikawa et al) & others:

I'm very much keen on buying VW Polo Diesel but worried about its 3-cyl engine & facts associated with it like the Accent CRDi like clutter & vibrations, etc. Even I've TD-en it 2-3 times but still not fully convinced with it.

Do you guys really think that its a that much big issue for my Hardcore liking for Polo can be sacrificed !

[/quote'] First if all sorry for replying so late. I can understand your dilemma, i myself had gone through it. The car i test driven before booking polo was a diesel polo and i couldn't know the difference( No noises inside, though even the petrol isn

I would like to mention the butter smooth gearshift of  polo(never seen before) [/quote']

+1 to above. Polo has the best G/B by this side of 10 Lakhs.

However for spirited highway driving, Punto scores over Polo in terms of steering feedback. Polo has awesome ride & planted feel in highway: but steering is little too light and does not inspire much confidence in corners. Punto with HPS offers unmatched confidence in attacking corners.

However for spirited highway driving, Punto scores over Polo in terms of steering feedback. Polo has awesome ride & planted feel in highway: but steering is little too light and does not inspire much confidence in corners. Punto with HPS offers unmatched confidence in attacking corners.

The steering feedback in a punto is unmatched , Most of the expert test drive reveal this. But most humbly i would like to say that the steering in polo is not a pure electric unit, instead its a electro hydrolic steering. When recently i went from Mumbai to Mahabaleshwar i too had this perception in mind and hesitate to steer her in corners at high speed. But on Expressway i steered her at around 90 kmph , and to my surprise the steering was giving good feedback.

OT:

@ashikawa:

Would you please check your manual and confirm whether Polo 1.2 has a pure electric unit or electric hydraulic unit. In the Polo brochure I am having (downloaded from VW India website a while back), it is mentioned that:

Polo 1.2(P): Electric-hydraulic unit

Polo 1.6(P): ---do----

Polo 1.2(D): Electronic unit

Thanks.

OT:

@ashikawa:

Would you please check your manual and confirm whether Polo 1.2 has a pure electric unit or electric hydraulic unit. In the Polo brochure I am having (downloaded from VW India website a while back)' date=' it is mentioned that:

Polo 1.2(P): Electric-hydraulic unit
Polo 1.6(P): ---do----
Polo 1.2(D): Electronic unit

Thanks.
[/quote']

Actually manual is common for lot of car ranging from polo to golf and passat.

Though the vehicle technical report  uses word

1 N 3 Speed-related variable steering assist (Servotronic)

for which wikipedia says

Servotronic

Servotronic offers true speed-dependent power steering, in which the amount of servo assist depends on road speed, and thus provides even more comfort for the driver. The amount of power assist is greatest at low speeds, for example when parking the car. The greater assist makes it easier to maneuver the car. At higher speeds, an electronic sensing system gradually reduces the level of power assist. In this way, the driver can control the car even more precisely than with conventional power steering. Servotronic is used by a number of automakers, including Audi, VW, BMW and all other auto majors in europe.

Servotronic is a trademark of AM General Corp.

The VW official site says:

Speed Dependent Power Steering

The speed-dependent control of the power steering enhances manoeuvrability and comfort, consequently boosting safety. Power assistance is at its highest level at low speeds, when manoeuvring for example. This means that the car is very easy to handle. At higher speeds, an electronic sensing system gradually reduces the level of power assistance. In this way, the driver can control the car at high speed and keep it on the chosen line even more accurately than with conventional power steering.

***EDIT***

Electrohydraulic Power Steering

The electrohydraulic power steering builds on the familiar hydraulic power steering system. The main difference between the two is the drive for the hydraulic pump that generates the pressure required for power assistance. In the case of the electrohydraulic power steering, this pump is driven by an electric motor whose operation is matched to the level of power assistance required. When the vehicle is stationary or moving at very low speeds, the hydraulic pump's delivery rate is increased to provide a high degree of power assistance. At high speeds, the pump speed is reduced as no assistance is required. The advantages of the electrohydraulic power steering lie in the added convenience it offers in the form of light-action steering when manoeuvring and much firmer steering when driving at high speeds. Plus, it saves fuel by only consuming energy as and when necessary.***EDIT***

However you are correct as per broucher it is Electro hydrolic power assist for petrol polo.

Note from ACI-Support: Use the regular/normal Fonts & Sizes for larger portions of the post.
BornFree2011-05-04 13:01:27

@Dr_Nishu:

If you are impressed by the Punto then get one for you,the car,if seen as an overall package is a winner in the segment(note:its my personal thought).The build quality etc etc are all good,and its true that those olden days issues are also rectified by the Fiat,the only chunk in the armor is an under-performing engine(not too much).

Else I'll second others and ask you to wait for the New SWIFT,let's see what Maruti has for the competition.

Frankly speaking,

My Hardcore liking is only & only towards Volkswagen Polo TDi(rest all are compromises), Neither its expensive spares nor its AfSS instead its 3-cyl powerplant is the only turn-off & this is not a casual disliking, instead I'm fed up of driving Consecutice two 3-cylinder engines from last 15 years(1st M800 & now Alto).

Only wish if the Polo would've came with 4-cylinder diesel engine of any capacity.

Also shocked to see the absence of its 4-cylinder 1.6 petrol variant in the latest Price list of VW Polo.

So if i were in your shoes' date=' Punto would have made the cut.[/quote']

If you are impressed by the Punto then get one for you' date='the car,if seen as an overall package is a winner in the segment(note:its my personal thought[/quote']

Only fly in this Ointment is -I'm doubtful about its On-road Reliability, nothing else.

As Spare parts availability & AfSS for all brands except Maruti & Hyundai are almost same but Punto might be having 'Advantage-TATA' also.

So the hunt is now for a better compromise only.

dr_nishu2011-05-04 19:17:19

Also shocked to see the absence of its 4-cylinder 1.6 petrol variant in the latest Price list of VW Polo.

What does that mean? It is there. 1.6  is available for sale. And keeping in view the fuel price deregualtion, 1.6 will be without any compromise.ashikawa2011-05-05 04:25:53

Today's Update:

As per ACI-ians suggestions, made my Mind to check out Ford Figo 1.4 TDCi diesel.

Both me & my Dad checked it out completely(In & out) with almost 10-12kms Test Drive & clocked Max speeds of about 120kmph effortlessly.

Noticed Pros:

-Good looking car with Tough build & Good all around Fit-finish.

-1.4 TDCi diesel engine is very much Silent in Inside & provides excellent driveability with Turbo kicking in from around 1200-1300Rpm, providing Real turbo-kick to the car.

-Driving Dynamics, Suspension & Steering feedback are excellent, really unmatched by cars 2-lakh expensive than it(i20 & Polo).

-2-years or 1,00,000kms warranty, extendable for 3-years or 1,20,000kms for Engine & Electricals.

-Inexpensive Service & Spare parts costs.

It comes with initial 2-free Services- One at 2500kms & other at 10,000kms, after that paid service at every 10,000kms or Once in a year(whichever is earlier) costing Rs.3100 each.

Its even cheaper than MS Swift & Ritz diesel Service costs which ranges to around Rs.4500-5000 for every 10,000kms.

Unhappy Cons:

-Dark & Shiny Interiors lacks Luxury feel.

-Absence of Rear Power windows in such a enjoyable car is an Real-Eyesore.

-Absence of MID.

Though these cons quoted above(except 2nd one) are not Actual cons for this Excellent car, but due to my more Expectations & better budget(than the price of this car) I'm feeling like so.

Post Figo-effect: Dad agreed to book this one immediately, but I still wants to hang-on till AN Swift comes.

@ Nishu

would still insist you squeez in for a Vento TDI. Knowing you the car would be with you for 5-7 years, so get the best. You can even look at new Verna and Fiesta

@ Nishu

would still insist you squeez in for a Vento TDI. Knowing you the car would be with you for 5-7 years' date=' so get the best. You can even look at new Verna and Fiesta
[/quote'] + 1 to sarabjeet. And if you still considering figo and why not a fiesta classic ? When i was fed up with waiting period of polo and thinking about going for some other option, one of my friend advised me that better to wait now, instead of regretting later. Now you can curse the dealer and the company for delay, but if you go for any other car, you will curse yourself later and now i know that he was correct.ashikawa2011-05-06 11:42:24

would still insist you squeez in for a Vento TDI. Knowing you the car would be with you for 5-7 years' date=' so get the best. You can even look at new Verna and Fiesta
[/quote']

Vento TDi Trendline will cost around 9 lacs OTR with essential accessories(ICE, Seat covers, etc), Insurance & RC, which is way beyond my restricted budget of 7 lacs(+/-50k).

Any good car(New Fiesta, Verna) with Ex-showroom price of max.upto 7.5 lacs can be considered.

Waiting now for New Swift to arrive to finalise my purchase,

till then I'll try to make my mind for Polo's 3-cyl engine, due to its pros, me & family's liking.

well Doc reports suggest Skoda Rapid would be in your budget. I am not to impressed with the 3 cylinder on VW. The only 3 cylinder driveble is on Nissan.

@Nish

Figo is a great car and should serve you well but I agree with Sarab and DD. Atleast wait for the Verna launch. The 1.4 may be in your budget. Do not think you are along with the wait. I am there with yousmiley36.gif.