dr_nishu

Hatchback blues, now SEDAN CLUES (pg10)

Figo is a great car and should serve you well

No doubt' date=' Figo is an excellent car not only amongst its segment even amongst segment step above, in the Handling, engine Refinement, Driveability & Road Dynamics, but what lacks is the Plush feel what I needs.

I would've definitely bought one with closed eyes if I was having one Luxury sedan standing at my home.

Atleast wait for the Verna launch. The 1.4 may be in your budget. Do not think you are along with the wait. I am there with yousmiley36.gif.

I'm also thinking the same dear.

Considering base Vento 1.6l TDi's price of 8.10 lacs(ex-showroom) & Ford is also going strong with its pricing stratergies I don't think Hyundai will price its base 1.6l Diesel version max to max 40-50k more(although Hyundai doesn't deserves this but Hyundai India is really on a high here) than base Vento.

So, automatically its base 1.4l CRDi diesel seems to be priced at around 7.6-7.9 lacs, which will be well spaced from similarly specced i20(1.5 lacs from i20 Magna CRDi) & also it falls more in the range of similarly powered SX4 1.3 diesel, at the same moment competitive enough to rival Quality rich Volkswagen Vento & ANHC.

Till then Fingers crossed for this Tuesday.
dr_nishu2011-05-08 14:19:49

Called Skoda dealership today, just for the curiosity sake about New Fabia 1.2 CR TDi.

The phone call was picked by a Soft spoken SE(a girl), which clearly stated all the details about the New Fabia, with comparing it with its cousin-VW Polo like;

-Cheaper pricing(from 13-28k for base to top-end variants) as compared to Polo.

-Better Legroom, Headroom in Fabia.

-Better NVH levels.

-Better Equipment levels like Standard Airbag(driver side even in base version), Daytime running lamps(in Elegance variant), etc.

-2 years/100000 kms warranty, extendable for 3rd year but she was unclear about its costs(hinted at ~15k).

-On asking Spare parts costs, she replied Skoda've reduced its spare parts costs by 60% over its previous version.

which means its clutch plates will now costs around Rs.16-18000 as compared to previous ones of Rs.40000.

-About Service costs, she said 1st 2-Services(at 15000kms/Once a year intervals) are free, which included only free labour & washing.

Rest its consumables costs around Rs.7500(Engine oil, Oil filter, Diesel filter, Pollen filter, etc, etc..).

And add up another Rs.1000 for washing & labour charges for paid services.

After explaing all these details, she e-mailed its e-brochure with price list immediately & assured me of its Test Drive ASAP.

& Surprisingly 1.5 hour later got the call from same dealership for its TD, which they're offering on upcoming Monday.

I'm feeling Happy with the Skoda's attitude with its customers now.
dr_nishu2011-05-14 16:10:56

@Dr.

Stay away from the 3 cylinder, personal experience (with pain in the heart) it all might sound nice and comfy now but you'll miss the outright performance later and will regret buying the Skoda 3 potter diesel.

Doc, saw your post in the other section about the sighting of the new Verna. Yes, I have also seen it here in Delhi. It looks so majestic. The road presence was good and heads were turning. I still dont know about the ride feel inside. But the look of the car was as if it was setting new benchmarks.

Now coming to the price, I know the car over-shoots your budget by more than a lakh, but I would recommend you to wait and gather money to accomodate this beast in your budget. The ARAI FE for the 1.4 is quoted to be above 23 kmpl. And I know, sensible drivers like you can extract much more (also referring to sb-alto, achieving magical FE figures). And the petrol prices are through the skies into the space, diesel Verna is the need of the hour for you. Switching over from the old-reliable-EasyOnPocket Alto to AN-HVerna will be a whole new experience. Also I would like to bring to your notice that Hyundai is a trusted brand and known for its lower maintainence costs and services. So I would request you to consider it seriously.

Although the 1.4 is a bare version, with no features, the base 1.6L, which is approx 70k costlier has a broad range of features to offer, infact it has all the features that you would want. The 1.4 doesnot have ABS which is a necessity in the high-speed capable car, the 1.6 can fulfill all your needs.

P.S. - I am going to get a TD of ANHVerna this week!driftpunk2011-05-15 05:02:44

Called Skoda dealership today' date=' just for the curiosity sake?about New Fabia 1.2 CR TDi.

-Cheaper pricing(from 13-28k for base to top-end variants) as compared to Polo.

-Better Legroom, Headroom in Fabia.

-Better NVH levels.

-Better Equipment levels like Standard Airbag(driver side?even in base version), Daytime running lamps(in Elegance variant), etc.

-2 years/100000 kms warranty, extendable for?3rd year but she was unclear about its costs(hinted at ~15k). On asking Spare parts costs, she replied Skoda've reduced its spare parts costs by 60% over its previous version.which means its clutch plates will now costs around Rs.16-18000 as compared to previous ones of Rs.40000.
[/quote'] Yes dr_nishu it has a driver airbag on base trim, which is an added advantage. Secondly you check again, new fabia comes with 2+2 years skoda shield(extended warranty+ insurance program). Third i got some spare prices of vento:

Clutch assembly complete set - Rs.10,100/-

Headlight assembly - Rs.3750/-

Bumper FR - 3125/-(source: team bhp)

So fabia should cost less than this.

-About Service costs' date=' she said 1st?2-Services(at 15000kms/Once a year intervals)?are free, which included only free labour & washing.

Rest?its consumables costs around Rs.7500(Engine oil, Oil filter, Diesel filter, Pollen filter, etc, etc..).

And add up another Rs.1000 for washing & labour charges for paid services.

[/quote'] service cost will almost be equal to polo.

After explaing all these details' date=' she?e-mailed its e-brochure with price list immediately & assured me of its Test Drive ASAP.

& Surprisingly?1.5?hour later?got the?call from same dealership?for?its?TD,?which they're offering?on upcoming Monday.I'm feeling Happy with the Skoda's attitude with its customers now.[/quote'] Do post your experience after test drive.

Secondly you check again' date=' new fabia comes with 2+2 years skoda shield(extended warranty+ insurance program). Third i got some spare prices of vento: .....

service cost will almost be equal to polo. [/quote']

No, they haven't said anything like 2+2 on asking about its warranty details.

Spare parts of Skoda are even then expensive over corresponding VWs, especially of Fabia's might be due to its lesser volumes.

Do post your experience after test drive.

This might not happen this week probably, as I'm very busy at my workplace.

But will try by end of this month, as after TD SE starts sticking like Leech.

I'm also not that much interested in Skoda 3-potter(thanks to Sarabjeet for sharing thoughts about & previously seen 1.4 PD Fabias).

Even though i was having Soft corner about VW Polo's 1.2 Common-rail engine under the impression that VW might've revolution-ised 3-cylinder engine in its CR avatar, but that impression faded recently when I've seen 34k kms clocked Polo Highline & it sounded exactly like Accent CRDi(which infact sounds like its having Rolling steel ball under its bonnet)

So, a Big-No to 3-cylinder Diesel engine.

So, AN Swift ZDi/VDi ABS, Punto 1.3 Emotion Pk & Figo 1.4 Titanium is in my wishlist now.

Just amazed by the Silence of the Swift Dzire's Diesel engine, in which i've travelled almost 150kms today, even knowing that its an diesel engined car(Dzire VDi) it gave every impression as Petrol engined car & felt even silent than MS's 1.2l K-Series Petrol engine. 

@ Doc

rumors are the Polo and Skoda would launch a 1.6 ltr diesel mill (borrowed from vento) the spy pic also hint that an upgraded version is around the corner.

From your wish list take a look at New swift VDI or Ford Figo 1.4 but both of them lack the premium feel your are aiming for.

rumors are the Polo and Skoda would launch a 1.6 ltr diesel mill (borrowed from vento) the spy pic also hint that an upgraded version is around the corner.

From your wish list take a look at New swift VDI or Ford Figo 1.4 but both of them lack the premium feel your are aiming for.

Then what's left dude !!

Doesn't feel that Polo or Fabia 1.6 TDi priced beyond 7.5 lacs makes sense for a hatchback & VFM quotient related to it. 

Any concrete info on MSIL & Skoda India for the launch of their New Dzire CS & Rapid saloon cars respectively.

As by maximum I can delay my purchase upto Aug2011-beginning.

No' date=' they haven't said anything like 2+2 on asking about its warranty details.

Spare parts of Skoda are even then expensive over corresponding VWs, especially of Fabia's might be due to its lesser volumes.

[/quote'] Yes it is there. Here are the details. Still i won't suggest you to go for a skoda. Why don't you see Punto 1.3 MJD emotion Pack. This is the only other car with good build quality and driving dynamics .I don't think even the new swift will be able to satisfy you, their diesels are from fiat only.

?kodaAuto India introduces ?koda Shield 

8/12/2010

? A unique after sales initiative to enhance customer experience

? Includes Basic Motor Insurance, 24x7 Roadside Assistance and Extended Warranty

Mumbai- August 3rd, 2010: ?kodaAuto India, a fully owned subsidiary of ?kodaAuto a.s., Czech Republic and one of the most promising automobile companies in India has announced SkodaShield; a unique after sales proposition for Skoda customers. Skoda shield will ensure

@ashikawa: Just one additional point. You must be insured through Skoda only!
Yes, its a package. They are clever enough to club extended warranty with insurance and road side assistance. So that they can sell insurance at unreasonable prices.

Fortunately VW did not club these things and provided extended warranty alone.

Yes it is there. Here are the details. Still i won't suggest you to go for a skoda. Why don't you see Punto 1.3 MJD emotion Pack. This is the only other car with good build quality and driving dynamics .I don't think even the new swift will be able to satisfy you' date=' their diesels are from fiat only. [/quote']

I think you haven't read my previous posts about Fiat Punto clearly;

Checked out & Test Driven Fiat Punto Emotion Pack Diesel yesterday.

What I liked:

-Tough & one of the best build quality seen across this segment(sorry to Polo from now).

-Exhaustive list of equipment in Emotion Pk variant.

-Interior quality is good & now better than corresponding MS & Hyundais.

-Excellent Highway Stability.

-Me & Dad both liked it overall.

About which I'm doubtful:

-Reliability(as previous Puntos suffered with many Cost-cutting Quality issues) but heard that Post March2010 Puntos are trouble free now.

But Still !!  I want a car which will not leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere.  

But still I need clarifications about this' date=' So ACI-ians please throw some light on this.
[/quote']  

Please read this thread carefully again & selectively for Fiat Punto.
dr_nishu2011-05-16 14:06:45

Tough & one of the best build quality seen across this segment(sorry to Polo from now).

-Exhaustive list of equipment in Emotion Pk variant.

-Interior quality is good & now better than corresponding MS & Hyundais.

-Excellent Highway Stability.

-Me & Dad both liked it overall.

?but heard that Post?March2010 Puntos are trouble free now.But Still !!? I want a car which will not?leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere.?But still I need clarifications about this' date=' So ACI-ians please throw some light on this.[/quote'] As you wrote that march 11 onwards there is a improvement in quality. I read hundreds of thread about punto in several forums. I read about better fit and finish , better AC inside in recent production. And i am yet to come across any unsatisfied customer till date. Even the after-sale (specially roadside assistance from fiat found to be quicker than any other brand) seems to be good.

What's the current status of Polo's delivery, heard waiting times have come down. Anything above 2.5 months is too much for me. Servicing cost also looks to be on the higher side for a hatch.

Figo ticks most of the right boxes but based on an old platform lowers appeal for me. Door sills are very low, reminiscent of old times!

Punto is very exciting but Im not sure on Fiat's part. If reliability is taken care off, one can compromise on the after sales to some extent.

i20 is the flavor among consumers these days, has that premium feel to it too. I prefer a car with good ride quality, have yet to TD it over a bad patch of road. Shall be a make or break issue for me! Hope Hyundai has taken care of A.C. problems many consumers were heard to be facing.

These 4 are the basic contenders for me in the segment. Ofcourse the Queen - Swift being the 5th(in its coming avatar).

Then what's left dude !!

Doesn't feel that Polo or Fabia 1.6 TDi priced beyond 7.5 lacs makes sense for a hatchback & VFM quotient related to it. 

Any concrete info on MSIL & Skoda India for the launch of their New Dzire CS & Rapid saloon cars respectively.

As by maximum I can delay my purchase upto Aug2011-beginning.

As per your requirement you want plush feel in your hatchback which the Figo and even the new Swift will lack. Germans have given a new dimensions to plastic quality and luxuries feel. Hard to get that in other cars in the same segment.

Not to sure about the Dzire and Rapid launch date but if you wanna take a dig i20 is the only safe bet in 6 lakh upwards category. i20 is readily available so i would suggest you to wait till August before you write a cheque, there might br some news around the corner.

@BF & sarabjeet;

I'm also fascinated by i20 CRDi's Road presence, Power, feel even many others have suggested i20 but only its Steering Rattle have made me to Roll my steps back infront of it.

& I don't think its an minor thing which can be ignored.

Heard that Hyundai is going to launch its 'Fluidic-face-lift' by June-end.

So might be its steering rattle issue gets resolved by that time.

If you have a very good Fiat dealer who offers good after sales service, you can go in for Punto.

Or if you can wait you can go in for the new swift.

Please avoid i20, since all engine related spares are costly. the engine is a imported unit.

Polo is a good car, but service will be costly.

Test Driven Skoda Fabia 1.2 TDi Elegance today.

Noticed more cons in it than expected pros, might be due to the fact that this car is getting too long in the market now.

Some Quick observations about it;

-Engine is very lethargic & somewhat noisy. Briskness of CRDi is absent.

-After doing repeated Steering(Tilt & Telescopic) & Driving Seat Adjustments i haven't found the comfortable position in it.

Seating is more of Upright-like.

-TD-en this car in Peak afternoon(~45degrees C) & at that temp its AC cooling wasn't equally Satisfactory.

-Some important features like Rear Defogger & Rear Wash-wipe are missing in its top-end-Elegance variant. 

The best bit about this car is the VFM quotient associated with it, as even its base variant features Rear AC vents & both Driver & front passenger Airbags are standard from its middle variant onwards.

My Verdict: This car is jack in most areas without excelling in any & its unacceptable in this segment now.

Will buy Polo over it, if i've to go with 3-cyl one anyday.

Amongst most of the cars seen & TD-en in this price band(5-7 lacs), Ford Figo is one of the most enjoyable & best car in almost all aspects. 

Is Manza Elan there on your radar?

Though I'm not much in the favour of Tata cars, but Manza seems to be a promising product but;

-I don't like its massive Over-hanged boot section.

-Its size won't fit in our Parking place.

-Aura ABS QjD90 BS-IV variant out of my budget.

But Heard that Tata is going to launch its CS(Manza-CS) version very soon.

So might consider that.

I will say, wait for new Swift come what may. The MJD is far more refined than any other engine put there, it is the car with least cons, and whatever cons are there are not glaring, and its extremely fun to drive. In front of it i20 feels like dull boy.

@Nishu: I think for a sporty drive I'd suggest you wait for the Swift MJD (as suggested by Rahul), with the prices of petrol going northwards, I think you will not look at a petrol hatch.

Durango Dude2011-05-19 01:59:41

-DD and Rahul - Absolutely spot on.

-Doc Nishu -- The New Maruti Suzuki Swift will check all the points in your checklist. And its going to be powerful and efficient. The best overall diesel hatch that can be bought today!

So finally, when is it going to be launched?

@Rahul & DD;

New Swift wait is the only hook with which I'm hanging now.

I know its going to be best package(as it was at its launch) but what's main worry with the Maruti Suzukis is their flimsy build quality.

It feels much scary while speeding in a Maruti Suzuki than in a Ford or Fiat or VW, especially above 90kmph speeds, as its just the 'Classmate Notebook cover-like' thin metal sheet infront of driver-passengers to save it, pardon Airbags.

Anyways, If not a VW/Skoda I'm expecting somewhat better Maruti Suzuki this time in New Swift & if new Swift have hinted this in its Test Drive then definitely it'll be a 'Cheque-sign job' only. 

So finally' date=' when is it going to be launched?
[/quote']

Haha.. smiley36.gif

That's the 'Question of the year2011'.

Read the post from last to top in the following thread to know the whole/actual story Click Here