Rohan09

Cars between 28 to 35 lac rupees

I have owned a Skoda Laura since the last three years and plan to upgrade to a upper segment car. I have a budget of 35 lac and basic criteria for the car selection is space and comfort. the car will be chauffeur driven mostly.
My running is both highway and in city.
Skoda Laura running - 65000 in three years.
Hence the maintainability and running costs should also be reasonable.
Cars that i have shortlisted - Audi A4, Mercedes C-Class facelift, New Passat, Skoda Superb and The Volvo S60. I don't like the 3-series, it is very cramped.

Post edited.

Thread moved: ACI-Support.
BornFree2011-04-11 16:01:21

If you don't like the 3 series, you are unlikely to like the A4 and C Class which may be equally cramped. I have ridden in the backseat of an A4 and it feels decidedly cramped even when compared to my Elantra. I'd suggest the VW Passat Highline for its equipment (DSG) and premium feel: retails for something like a 30L otr Chennai or even consider the Skoda Superb 2.0 diesel (same engine as Passat) for acres of space and great chauffeur driven comfort. 

The A4 3.0 tdi retails at 41 lac on road with the quattro and everything. The 2.0 tdi costs 34.5 on road in Pune. I like the Audi for the styling and since all the cars i am looking at are German i am a bit confused about the selection as to what criteria to consider to finalize one. And i dont think the Passat will garner the status and attention for the owner that any of the BMW, Merc or Audi's do.

well yes VW might not have the Bling value but it fits your bill.Being Chauffer driven you need to relax in the rear sofa with your legs spread. A4 and C class don't give you the space that Passat or Superb would give you. You might have to compromise with space with A4 and C class

The best in class space is offered by the A4 according to the numbers and stats. But since you say that the A4 is also cramped i am a bit comprehensive about these cars now. What about the S60? i have had a look and loved it for its back seat and features. It costs from 33 -- 41 lac.

Have a look at the Nissan Teana and the Honda Accord 3.5 V6, they aren't Germans but are good all the same and come with loads of space and back seat comfort as compared to entry level premium: 3 series, C Class and A4. The only grouse would be huge running costs as they are petrol V6's and guzzle fuel.

The Teana was awarded the best interiors in a lot of countries for its class but the Nissan batch still has a lot of work to do on customer support etc...

I am looking at Diesels since my running is quite a lot on the highway and plan to sell the car in 3 years time.

@Rohan

i'll advice you to TD all the cars on your list. Ask the sales representative to drive and sit on the back seat. It will help you to make a better decision. Also try to sit right behind the driver to know your comfort zone while simulating the car with 3 passanger in the rear seat.

Already done. It makes more sense to buy the Passat, Superb and the Teana for the space and their perfect value for money, especially the new Passat. But the prospect of going into the bling segment by spending a few lac extra seems tempting. Nothing turns heads like a Mercedes with its huge logo on the grill.

well let me tell you a C class or A4 don't hold their bling value anymore. These are now considered at par with Passat or Superb. If you want bling value i would recommend you to buy an pre-owned car that is 6 months-10months old from pre-owned car showroom of Audi, Mercedes or BMW. You can lay your hands on 5 series, E class A6 or Q5 at your upper limit. You shall also get Warrenty on these cars

Ok. As you say i will put all of them on par with each other now and not look at the bling quotient. Also Will consider looking at a pre-owned 5-series or A6.

Any idea on whether to go for the Volvo S60. Its a great car as well.

S60 is great but it is an drivers car though it offers some rear seat comfort. It would make more sense if you where behind the wheels. But have to admit it i would pick it from other entry level sedans

The S60 offers excellent safety, touted as the safest car in India and has excellent build quality and features. Only drawback is the dealer network. Do you think that the Volvo dealer network and their sales will goup in the future for India.

Heard, Kizashi is looking nice and very good at its interior/Body outlook and its most special engine. But i dont think you might like this, because you were talking about german sedans. If SUV then i would suggest "Montero", I will choose Merc-C class if i were you because of its previeged LOGO and BRAND. S60 is not advisable unless you planned to keep it and not to sale,because of its resale value.

Keeping all your requirements in mind, our suggestion for you is that don't go for any 3,c or a. Yeah buying or having one of these in driveway is a very nice feeling but these are the cars that are benefited from their respective logo and lacks in many sector. These car are not very comfortable for Indian road's and rather say are very sensitive. you can read Sarbarjeet's review on his 3-series.

http://archive.autocarindia.com/autocar_forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7360&PN=2

Well my suggestion for you is that try out the Skoda Superb. This car is unbeatable provides comfort, performance, value for money etc. And if you like to go for an change than I surely believes that Passat is next best option available.

We will say that please test drive superb once before buying any other car and also compare it with its competition and it will surly win if badge value is not a thing for you.

If you want an SUV than we will like to suggest Nissan X-Trail but A.S.S is the problem. So this time also in SUV we will suggest a Skoda. The yeti because it is more modern than its competition. Fortuner is also good but it design is very old school.

Our regard for you and your new ride.

Any idea on whether to go for the Volvo S60. Its a great car as well.

Brilliant Idea of an Excellent car.smiley32.gif

Infact it was the 2nd option in my mind while typing my previous post in this thread.

If you're comfortable with your Nearby Volvo Dealer & Service centre, then this is the car for you offering Good Brand Value, Looks, Safety features & huge equipment list.

I'd rate 4.5* to this car.
dr_nishu2011-04-12 19:05:38

In general i am still confused but have shortened the list down to the fully loaded Passat and The MErcedes C-Class.

Will talk to Hormazd tomorrow on Ask Autocar Anything around 5 p.m. to clear out a few things. The expert opinion will finally help my decision i suppose.Thank You guys for all the help, will keep you posted in the process.

If you really want to buy yourself "recognition" I suggest the A4 3.0 TDI, it has both the show and the go, all in a very understated package. With the Passat and Superb you get loads of space and equipment; whereas with the "bling" category for your budget you get a cramped car.  Have you considered the X1, it makes more sense given our road conditions. If you buy an S60 don't forget to 'buy' a full sized spare wheel too (as there isn't a spare) and neither are the tyres of the 'run-flat' variety, all you get is a puncture repair kit. We Indians consider changing a wheel a 'chore' imagine doing a puncture repair job on your expensive set of wheels by the road side.

Sorry for the late update people.

Just came back from Mumbai and on request to the office, i had a Mercedes C Class to go to Mumbai and the Skoda Superb 2.0 TDi to come back to Pune.

My review for the C Class is that after travelling to Mubai non-stop from Pune, first thing i wanted was to get out of the car and stretch my legs. Ride was excellent a la Mercedes. ( Definetly better than the Superb no doubt.) but the whole time i felt the driver was having a better time than me, even though i am being chauffeur driven. It did turn more heads and give you a vague sense of being important stepping in and out of the car in public glare. I drove the car in Mumbai and yes it is great to drive as well.

Then the next day I had a fresh Superb at my disposal to go to Pune. First thing I noticed is the massive size of the car and that is carried over to the interior as well. Acres of legroom behind and build quality just a level behind the Mercedes. The ride quality a bit harder than the Merc and also the interiors are a little bit under the Mercs rich feel interiors. But the best sense of buying the car is that it really is nice to be chauffeur driven in it. The driver is sitting where he needs to be and you sit behind with a sense of owning the car and letting the driver do his job. The car is nice and comfortable and is also good looking and large enough in proportions to turn heads. The ride back was comfortable and i did not feel cramped or have to want to get out of the car to stretch my legs as ou can literally sleep on the floor of the car as it does offer enormous legroom.

End result i am now knocked out between buying a Mercedes and Passat/Superb.

Hormazd has suggetsted to go for the passat or Superb seeing my needs. smiley18.gif

But to say the least i am inclined a bit towards the Superb. smiley11.gif

Hormazd has suggetsted to go for the passat or Superb seeing my needs. smiley18.gif
But to say the least i am inclined a bit towards the Superb. smiley11.gif

I'll still insist you towards the New Passat Bluemotion, its one of the best car in its segment with Class best features, Quality levels & Good AfSS support.

Think Skoda Superb if you're inclined towards rear legroom more than Overall Pleasure of owing a car.