BonFre

Problem with Dimmer

Just a couple of days I noticed something un-usual, whenever I would use the Dipper on my car, I could spot something coming out from above the lever attachment. It was Smoke but on first instance, I thought maybe because the car was not thoroughly cleaned for sometime, so it could be dust/dirt but on subsequent usage it was sure that it was Smoke.

After a while the dipper failed to function with smoke still coming out. Headlights on high/low are working fine though. Now, this particular part was changed by Toyota on recall, a couple of years ago. The car is now out of Warranty & the Dealership says that I will have to buy the part(whole assembly), which is somewhere in the range of 3500/-.

Issue is not the price of the part but I feel that Toyota should supply the part free of cost because they changed it on a recall. So, the fault still stays. I have conveyed this to the dealership that I will not be buying the part & that Toyota should source it free of cost. Lets see what reply they give!

In case they do not supply the part free of cost, I will try & look for it in the outside market & am sure if its available, will be at a fraction of cost quoted by the dealership. So much for the "Bullet proof reliability", its sure a myth!
BornFree2011-04-21 15:29:03

You're thankfully saved from a fatal incident, which was on the verge of its happening. Might be the bad(No !! I can say a poor) quality plastic around the Terminals of the flasher switch was the culprit behind this.

Where's the Toyota's Quality lying !!

Your Toyota dealer might have sold that part to anyone else, that was alloted to you for the Recall. Even then ask him to provide that part for free, as Recall have No relation with the Warranty or anything else, it's just a manufacturer's fault & he needs to pay for it. That's it..

Try to contact TKIL, HQ specifically by e-mail or else & post your query to them.

P.S to Auto companies: IMO, In the rising era of cars with Advanced Electronics, its the time to Invent the Emergency Exit door/window in them.
dr_nishu2011-04-21 19:57:03

That's right in addition to an accident, it could have caused a fire because the materials are very inflammable.

Actually the particular switch was changed in my car during the recall a few years back but then I had no complaints with the 1st/original switch. Now that the Replacement switch has gone kaput, Dealer wants to make a quick buck by selling it but Im not going to buy one.

I would again re-iterate, the much talked about "Toyota bulletproof reliability" is a mere hoax in Indian context of things.

Need be, I will definitely get in touch with TKM but sadly my past experience with them is nothing great!

I think you should get the assembly opened and see what has gone wrong. May be sparks from wires or crack in PVC can be a reason. Also get the fuse checked.

It might be that changing a wire will be all that is necessary. I hope your car is free from attacks of rats or cockroaches. I feel that wires are somehow touching each other.

@DD, I'll wait for Toyota to respond first. Will be pushing them for a free replacement.

@Sb, got it checked, its a closed assembly, without wires, etc. There are plates instead. Only solution is to change the whole assembly, no repairs can be carried out. One or two points/plates overheated.

Fuse ok & no Rat, cockroaches attack till now. Touchwood!

@Bornfree:

This seems to be worth considering.In my views,you must not allow anyone else to touch your car and get it straight to the Toyota service station,and yes try to be somewhat angry at the mean time,but not too much..it works because Toyota workers are always afraid of the results if you complain about them at a higher level...smiley36.gif..its my personal experience.

Vipul, yes I got the vehicle checked at Toyota Authorised dealership itself.

They do not have the part in stock & have ordered, say it will take ~ a week to come. Its then that I will push them for a Free replacement.

Now' date=' this particular part was changed by Toyota on recall, a couple of years ago. The car is now out of Warranty [/quote']

If your Toyota car have already got the replacement of the part under the Company Recall schedule & at present if the car is out of warranty then there are Rare chances of its free Replacement.

But even then try to push them l'll bit for that, Rest its upon your luck for the Concluding part. 

Part has arrived at dealership but they are refusing to replace it free of cost. Raised the matter to TKM, lets see what response comes!

Told them that its a matter of Safety, as both Dimmer failure + smoke from the Switch are grave matters, can cause loss of property & life in extreme circumstances. Actually if we think of it, its a matter of deep concern as many Toyota cars around the World have experienced the same. It could be a serious cause of fire in a vehicle. Apart from the fact that the Dimmer function failure can be catastrophic during driving.

Edit: Here are a few links of a similar problem:

BornFree2011-04-26 13:46:34

@Bornfree:

I am second to you,even I too can face the same in my Innova today or anytime in future.

This time,its better if you try it harder to get the part replaced for free,warranty may be gone,but in case of safety...no compromises..I'd say that if they refuse then be ready to get a hole in your pocketsmiley36.gif.

*Update* keeping an open eye & persistence when you think you are right pays. Finally Toyota replaced the DIMMER SWITCH much against the wishes of the local Dealer. I stood my ground firmly because I had the faith that what I was demanding was right.

Its a very serious matter never the less, as they say "there's no smoke without fire", the issue if not taken care off in time & properly, can cause a Fire & malfunction of the Switch which in itself is a safety concern.

The Replacement was carried out at my Home & I will post the pics. later.

Most importantly the lesson learnt is "Free repairs/replacements can be carried out even if the Vehicle is out of warranty", ~7yrs of ownership in this case."

Thanks, more than a monetary, it was a moral victory! TKM's VOC/Customer care has improved drastically. Compared to ~ 5 yrs back when they would just forward the complaint to the Dealer, now they are very pro-active.

Monopoly dealers are spoiling the party though but guess it suits the Company in a way that an already set pattern can be followed but the extra pain of appointing different dealers would surely pay dividends. Advised/suggested this to the Company too but chances of adoption look low!

Local dealers un-professional behavior still baffles me. Inspite of TKM telling them to change the part, they were very reluctant & tried to thwart all the efforts on both my & TKM's side.

*Scoop* A little birdie tells me that Altis Diesel has quite an appetite for engine oil, if not fulfilled, can develop seizures! Atleast Im staying away from this!
BornFree2011-04-30 16:54:43

That's great!  The dimmer switch has been a "recall" item since at least 2005.  Which means it will be replaced regardless of the warranty.  Whenever you have a situation with your car, such as Toyota...just Google....Toyota Dimmer Recall...and it will drag up every reference for that particular problem.

@BF: Congrats in getting the corporate to bow. My own vew us that the dealerships are far less accommodating than the the parents. Less moolah and more paperwork.

@Bornfree:

When it comes to Altis D-4D,I would ask only those people to buy it who have a chauffeur else it'll make you weep in the city and make you loose your temper on the highways.Though the car is comfortable,reliable etc etc..but what to do with that accelerator which feels out of power every time you push it as hard as you can....About engine oil apatite I'd say that this news is somewhat controversial because my friend who owns this car has done about 10k kms and not yet even a single complain,not even a snag or jerk.

@Brn2Crz:

Is my Innova's dimmer switch also covered in this replacement drive.Mine is a December 2008 V variant D-4D,with not even a single mechanical or electrical complain till now except once ABS failure.Tell me fast I am waiting to send my Innova to the workshop with my cell in my hand.

My God, the same thing happened with me just 15 minutes earlier.

-I was just coming with my Mom & when we reached near our home just less than 100m earlier, when I gave the Pass beam to the Oncoming bike rider, Noticed the Smell of burning Plastic in an closed Cabin with AC On but Ignored with thought that it might be coming from any burned garbage outside.

But after 2 minutes later when I parked the car at home, this thread struck my mind & immediately I started Inspecting the Dimmer switch & Suddenly noticed the THICK WHITE FUMES with Pungent smell coming out from that Switch.

I'm bit scared of it, as Dad is going to travel 100km in the same car tomorrow morning & he can replace it thereafter only.

Nishu, which car? This was a problem with Toyotas but surely can happen to any car. Have you by any chance gone in for aftermarket bulbs/tubes or done some accessory/wiring fitting?

I would strongly suggest you to take the vehicle to a mechanic first & then only embark on a journey. In case you have to use the car, don't use the particular Switch. Also make sure that its the Switch only or something else.

TOYOTA has been cutting cost and its visible all around the interior, door panel, switches, dash etc.

in 2 years of ownership I have never faced sooo many issues with any car manufacturer.

PROBLEMS FACED AND ACTIONS TAKEN BY TOYOTA

Blown fuel pump, (Replaced )

blown horn, (Repaired)

faulty suspension, (RF Suspension replaced)

noisy brakes,(Repaired but still a bit noisy)

early wear of break pads at 18,000km(all four), (Tried to talk to TKM but they refused to accept that it was an abnormal wear paid 18k for replacement)

rattling plastics, (Tried to fix but failed as everytime some new noise appears)

Noise from steering column.(Replaced entire steering column but Problem exists, I have sent the vehicle more than 5 times for this problem but they could not rectify )

SO THE BIG QUESTION

WHERE IS THE QUALITY REVOLUTION??????????

Nishu' date=' which car? This was a problem with Toyotas but surely can happen to any car. Have you by any chance gone in for aftermarket bulbs/tubes or done some accessory/wiring fitting?[/quote']

That has happened with my 2005 MS Alto LXi.

Haven't done any modification with its Bulb or tube or foglamps or else, only accessory Installed are MGA Security system, Music System & that's too with dedicated coupler only w/o any cutting, splicing of the wires. 

But now, we've completely reached the beginning point of the problem & that came out to be same as of your's car.

Even 4-days back when we were back from our journey to Hoshiarpur.

In the evening while driving, 1st Dad complained about its sticky Pass Beam flasher switch & later on when I started driving I noticed l'll bit Same burning smell at Ludhiana Bye-pass while operating its Hi/Lo beam, but Ignored due to the above same reason, but this time(today) THICK FUMES are enough to Alarm me.

But after today's incident me & my Dad completely checked the functioning of the Switch & noticed that its malfunctioning is there only during Hi-Lo beam flashing with Headlights in On-position.

Rest is ok with Turn-Indicators operation is also Normal.

Dad will be going by around 9 AM tomorrow, so Headlamps functioning isn't much required but even then I still said my Dad to stay alert about this whole fault/issue.

Will get this part replaced by tomorrow evening or by Next day.

dr_nishu2011-05-01 19:17:50