Premchand

i20 CRDi - weak acceleration

Hello folks,

I am Premchand, 30yrs M, Bangalore, drive:: i20 CRDi - variant: sportz.

One of my i20 CRDi cars has developed 'weak acceleration' trouble over the last 15 days. The car is 4 months old, with 9500KMs on the odo. The dealership from where I bought the car seem to have long forgotten me as one of their valuable customers... as their service station is perennially infested with cars awaiting service - definitely an eye sore. God only knows whether they really service the car or just do a water wash and clean the interiors.

Problem: The turbo never kicks-in, even when the accelerator is floored (on all gears). I am normally a light footed driver. However, at highway speeds, the car's under-response just cant be digested. It's so pathetically slow that every time I need to shift down a couple of gears and revvup to almost 4000RPM (which is quite abnormal for a Hyundai I20 CRDi). That apart, the car anyway takes it's own sweet time to come up to speed. If there is an up-hill, the problem only worsens.

I got the 10K service done at a dealership in Coimbatore (yeah, I didn't leave my car at Advaith Hyundai in Bangalore) today (14/5/2011) and got the air and fuel filter replaced. Several issues were considered and ruled out: Adulterated diesel, clutch wear, clogged fuel filter, etc. The problem still persists and the dealership has informed me that they need to change turbo gasket and do a test run tomorrow. However, all of these seem to be trial & error method and there is no serious diagnosis happening.

I am perplexed at this situation as the service personnel themselves are grappling for answers. It seems they have not come across such an issue before.

Can any of the gurus here throw some light??

I think since the car is under warranty, you can escalate the issue by shooting a mail to: cr@hmil.net giving all details of your sour experiences at dealerships where your car was serviced. Have it checked at Hyundai Motor Plaza service center's they are company owned/operated their service is usually better than other dealers.

Durango Dude2011-05-15 03:45:43

Dont worry Premchand. Wait for a few days for the reply. And I would suggest to, once, get it serviced on a weekday. There is lesser pressure of work on the weekdays than weekends. Generally when I go to get the service done, I try my best to sneak into the workshop and personally check out. This, although, is not allowed at the workstations, I am friends with the senior sales exec and so I can proceed, hehe. I would suggest you to try once if you can sneak in and look up whats going on. But dont speak anything. Just look.

@RSSH: Fuel filter changed and no improvement.

Current update: Service center still clueless. The turbo gasket was also replaced and no effect. They have now informed that valve timing need to be analysed and fuel intake timing/quantity checked. This apparently requires a special 'testing kit' that they are not having off-hand. Hence have to wait till tomorrow. They are requesting at least 3 additional days time to completely diagnose the problem. Whatever is happening now is only elimination of known problem areas.   smiley19.gif

I have written to the customer relations as suggested by Durango Dude. I intend to call the HMIL regional representative to figure out a way to formalize this complaint/issue. It's just 4 months and I'm not happy at people working on engine/turbo level. Not a good sign at all.   

@Premchand

did you notice hardness in clutch ?

It looks like a blown up turbo. Better get it check thoroughly. Why don't you try another Hyundai service centre ?

16/5/2011: Update

1. Received a response from HMIL South Regional Office (after I had written to them on Sunday as advised by Durango Dude) smiley1.gif

2. They assured immediate intervention and necessary inputs to be provided to 'Chandra Hyundai' so that the process can be expedited smiley32.gif

3. They also mentioned that necessary action shall be initiated against 'Advaith Hyundai' smiley20.gif

4. Received a call by afternoon from Advaith Hyundai (Outer Ring Road) expressing their sincere apologies.. blah blah smiley7.gif

5. Received a call from Chandra Hyundai towards end of day assuring that the 'Turbo kit' shall be replaced and the car will be taken for a test run today (17/5/2011) smiley5.gif

Will keep team posted. All in all, status-quo remains. People still clueless.

17/5/2011: Update

1) Turbo kit replaced and tested. Problem still exists!!!!!!!!

2) Service Engineer from HMIL arrived at Chandra late in the evening

3) Received call @ 8:30PM in the night => the problem is identified to be a malfunctioning switch in the electrical circuitry......smiley11.gif

4) Rectification to be done today (18/5/2011) with a promise to return the car by end of day

Questions that I need to ask:

1. Why was an electrical fault not thrown up when it was tested with the monitoring kit?

2. Will the turbo kit (the old one removed from my car) be put back in place again?

3. What about the 35 litres of diesel that was 'apparently' flushed out suspecting adulteration?

smiley8.gifsmiley8.gif

premchand@glad to hear that at last your problem is sorted. but this sounds ridiculous man!!they almost pulled apart the whole of your engine just for a malfunctioning switch!! anyways do tell us about how much all of this cost you

17/5/2011: Update

1) Turbo kit replaced and tested. Problem still exists!!!!!!!!

2) Service Engineer from HMIL arrived at Chandra late in the evening

3) Received call @ 8:30PM in the night => the problem is identified to be a malfunctioning switch in the electrical circuitry......smiley11.gif

4) Rectification to be done today (18/5/2011) with a promise to return the car by end of day

Questions that I need to ask:

1. Why was an electrical fault not thrown up when it was tested with the monitoring kit?

2. Will the turbo kit (the old one removed from my car) be put back in place again?

3. What about the 35 litres of diesel that was 'apparently' flushed out suspecting adulteration?

smiley8.gifsmiley8.gif

Thats seriously negligence on the part of your HASS , they changed the whole turbo unit for a small switch fault .

Also write to Hyundia about your vows and that they should give you a tank fill and retain the new turbo as compensation for the negligence of the work done on your car.

Folks, finally the car is back home and accelerating better than ever!! Delivered yesterday (21/5/2011) as committed.

The problem was zeroed in to a 'switch' assembly as mentioned earlier. The new i20 has a 'shift' indicator that suggests the ideal gear to be in. This is thrown up in the instrument cluster. This switch is what HMIL calls as the 'Neutral Switch' and it's wired into their transmission system. This has malfunctioned (perhaps loose connection, hence didn't throw up in the monitoring system during diagnosis). It was first for HMIL and hence they took time to respond. I thought this was pardonable. So didn't fuss much.

Hole in wallet::::

1) Only cost for consumables used during routine 'second free service' was billed

2) Switch assembly was covered under warranty 

a. Engine oil @ Rs.200.01 a litre for 5.3Lts total = Rs.1060.03

b. Filter cartridge @ Rs.1692.41 per unit. Qty used 1.

c. Filter-Air Cleaner @ Rs.293.79 per unit. Qty used 1.

d. Service Kit-Oil Filter @ Rs.334.05 per unit. Qty used 1.

3) Total expenses: Rs.3380/-

Other points to note:

1) Fuel replaced to the levels at which the car was left at their workshop

2) Cavity waxing done for the door trims free of cost as a value-add / kind gesture

3) Upholstery cleaning done free of cost (considering that it's a lighter shade, I appreciated this work as it had become dirty and I used to find it difficult to keep it clean even though I use 'Armorall leather detailer' quite reqularly)

HMIL service engineer was present along with the service center personnel to explain work done. Expressed sincere apologies since this is the first time for HMIL too. (why should I be a case study??smiley2.gif ). He explained that malfunctioning switch was uncalled for and they were not prepared for this kind of an exigency. Nevertheless, I felt a bit confident when all these were explained properly. I also appreciated the customer engagement manager from the dealership:: he had been regularly updating regarding the status. Also, I was asked to be at the service center between 2.30pm and 3.30pm (since this is a time that's less frequented by other customers and hence they can spend quality time). I appreciated the same.

I will soon post the 'picture' of the replaced switch.

smiley32.gifThanks to all for the guidance and advice!!! Cheers!!smiley32.gif

smiley32.gif

@rssh: I was happy that the 'chandra' hyundai team lived upto the situation, unlike Advaith folks who literally refused to take the car!!! Fuel was filled back again to the levels at which I had left the car for service. My old turbo charger kit was cleaned and fitted back again (I prefer this.. because not sure if the kit that was replaced was new.. smiley2.gif) Known devil is better than unknown angel.

Its great too see that Hyundai treated you well . This is the kind of service that people appretiate and it only pull you closer too the brand (even if there is a problem with the car)

Also did they retain the new turbo unit?

Hi PremChand,

I have bought new Hyundai i20 CRDI Magna (6 speed) on 27th june 2011, from day one i facing two suspcious problemssmiley3.gif

1) Boot Door and car door opening indicator both lit up if either one of them is opened.smiley5.gif

2)I am not seeing any effect of turbo at all wether it is 1800rpm upto 4000rpm.smiley5.gif

After seeing your post, i have decided to go to the Trident Hyundai service center and show them the problems.

Please tell me your opinion about this. during the first running period, is turbo disabled ? or swithced off ?,  as you said even i am feeling lot of discomfort and feeling huge lack of power. The i20 crdi which i test drove, kicks in turbo at 1800rpm and you can literally feel the push. but the new one doesnot even feel it has a turbo.

and secondly the indicators for both Boot door and car doors lit simultaneously. 

My car is just 1 week old and has done 750KMs(had a trip to chennai). i am feeling very sad with the above 2 problemssmiley19.gif

Regards

MADAN

Hi Today i went to Hyundai Service Center, and they helped me to calrify the above issues.

Acoording to service center mechanic,

1)both the Boot door and Car door lit up if either one of them is opened it is normal and it is in every car.

2)He tested the car and he said the turbo kick is happening and since it is just new your not seeing the difference, I didn't agree, i went to service manager and told about this "Neutral Switch" Issue, he made them check with the G-Scan and he found everything is normal. I was still unsatisfied  beccoz the i20 5speed CRDI i test drove seemed more powerful than the one i own. Luckily at the same time a guy with the same make and model came (i20 CRDIO 6 speed Magna), and he had covered 6640KMs. I asked about my issue, he said, he did not find any such problem, Later i requested him to see his car by switching on the ignition and revving, i didn't find any difference between mine and his, probably it is just user perception or even he had the same problem and did not notice, and by the way car/boot door opening light also functions same. I will wait for first service to happen and then, let me see. 

Correct me if i am over looking at these things.

MADAN

@madan you definately need to get your car checked . The i20 give you a good kick feeling when the turbo spools . I get my kick everytime I cross 1700rpm .

Visit HMP service centre and tell them that you will not accept the car untill you are not satisfied . The 6 speed doesn't take out the kick of the CRDi.

@Friends:

I agree with Rssh,though none of my friends own an i20,but still I have driven the car for about 500-600 kms and everytime the fury needle drops down,it simply requires a downshift and as the needle crossed the 1800-2000rpm mark,you feel a needle in the power graph with 90 horses suddenly pulling you forward.

And this is felt in the 6-speed variant too,because I have driven the 6-speed one only.

Thank You TsiVipul and rssh and autocarindia

I found the problem was at my side, I used to keep 1/4th throttle and wait for the rpm to raise slowly crossing 1800-2000 rpm and was expecting turbo to spool up, Finally i got know that if i keep the throttle fully pressed from 1200rpm in 2nd or 3rd gear, i can feel the intial lag and suddenly at 1800rpm the turbo push kicking in. My car is fine and is all working well, Thank you all guys for helping me and your time. This is my first experience with DIESEL engines so still learning.

sgiitk2011-07-08 05:41:50

A piece of advice to improve fuel efficiency. When in 3 or 4 th gear at 1200rpm if you need sudden accleration then downshift and floor the throttle because from 1200 to 1800 rpm you will burn more fuel . I actually drive in lag region in city traffic and find it optimal as when the turbo spools up then mayhem releases on the road . I am currently getting 16.5 kpl with 100% AC in city with this approach.

You are right even I am driving in the lag region and strictly following the Gear Shift indicator. I have to yet measure the mileage in City , but last Saturdays trip to Kancipuram(chennai) to and fro from Bangalore with 4 people and full laguage, the total distance was 596Kms which took 25Ltrs = 1165 Rs of diesel, giving mileage of 23.84 with AC. My family was really happy to see the mileage, I guess the 6th gear did the magic, 1900rpm (1/4 th throttle) 6th gear speed was 102Km\h.

--------

No salutations, or sign offs. Watch your punctuation (capitalisation) MODS

sgiitk2011-07-08 05:38:32