Kms driven monthly - kms

Bodyshell - Hatch/ Sedan/SUV/ MUV

City/Highway split - 00:00

Max No.of Passangers - ______ most of the time  

Boot space Importance - ______ High/Low/Medium

Usage by - __________________normal/Enthu/Lady/Old age

Ownership - _________________City/ Outskirts

Safety - _____________________High/Medium/anything

Prime requirement - Ride/ Handling/FE/Braking/Looks/AfSS/Resale/Passenger Comfort

Softcorner'd Manufacturer -

Every day we get atleast 2-3 car buying suggestion and on most cases we understand their requirement only after 3-5 posts from thier side, so I think, this template helps them most.

Is there anything more to be added

@mods, Can this be posted somewhere easily accessible to new comers.

@Mods, Make this as a sticky thread so that it can be accessed by all easily.

CB - Nice. A day or two later, I was going to do this. This pattern is followed on every forum!

Safety - _____________________High/Medium/anything

Everyone wants high safety. I think this point can be skipped.

One should always look for optimum safety in his/her budget.driftpunk2011-05-28 05:04:42

In addition to what the template lists, I also suggest that the info-seeker should also indicate details of

1.  His/her existing car(s), if any

and

2.  Any makes/models they have already test-driven or short-listed

so that people can suggest properly a suitable car to them.

BUDGET-: 10-11 L(including on-road prices) can stretch out to 12.5 to the max.

KMS DRIVEN(MONTHLY)-Around 30-35or even 50-60 according to the needs.

SUV preferred but MUV will be also OKAY,also Sedan(my category is vast,I'm sorry!)

5 passengers(at all times)

Boot space importance not much to be considered about

Usage by normal person i.e my father & sometimes by me

City and will be used sometimes around once in 3 months to go to my village

Safety-:MEDIUM

Prime requirement-PASSENGER COMFORT(since it will be a family car),FE,AFTER SALE SERVICE SHOULD BE OKAY(but not like Skoda's)

Favourite Manufacturers-:FIAT,MAHINDRA,TATA that's it

These are the cars that I've shortlisted by surveying-:

MAHINDRA XUV5OO--------->>FAVOURITE AMONGST THESE,I WANT TO GO FOR THIS ONE.

TATA SAFARI DICOR

MAHINDRA XYLO

FIAT LINEA

MAHINDRA SCORPIO etc THAT'S IT!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

BUDGET-: 10-11 L(including on-road prices) can stretch out to 12.5 to the max.

KMS DRIVEN(MONTHLY)-Around 30-35or even 50-60 according to the needs.

SUV preferred but MUV will be also OKAY' date='also Sedan(my category is vast,I'm sorry!)

5 passengers(at all times)

Boot space importance not much to be considered about

Usage by normal person i.e my father & sometimes by me

City and will be used sometimes around once in 3 months to go to my village

Safety-:MEDIUM

Prime requirement-PASSENGER COMFORT(since it will be a family car),FE,AFTER SALE SERVICE SHOULD BE OKAY(but not like Skoda's)

Favourite Manufacturers-:FIAT,MAHINDRA,TATA that's it

These are the cars that I've shortlisted by surveying-:

MAHINDRA XUV5OO--------->>FAVOURITE AMONGST THESE,I WANT TO GO FOR THIS ONE.

TATA SAFARI DICOR

MAHINDRA XYLO

FIAT LINEA

MAHINDRA SCORPIO etc THAT'S IT!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

[/quote']

I Know the KMS driven monthly is less for a diesel variant but I want to go for the Mahindra XUV5OO which is a diesel.I would like to know that are diesel cars difficult to maintain than petrol cars? And if monthly kilometres driven are less will there be any problem?

@Mo.Faeq:

If your heart beats for XUV500 then go for it...nothing wrong about this car, however if you are not in hurry...then wait for AutoExpo 2012.

I think the car that you should watch out for would be Renault Duster.

Book a 500 now and while waiting( AutoExpo'12)' date=' check out Renault Duster/ Ford Ecosport / Tata Merlin.

Remember, you can't buy any of these cars today. If you are in a hurry, go for basic Yeti or a used Pajero.

[/quote']

I don't find Yeti good (no offence) mainly because of the Skoda's horrible A.S.S.Going for a first hand driven car so,second hand option is also deleted from my selection. xD

@Mo.Faeq:

If your heart beats for XUV500 then go for it...nothing wrong about this car' date=' however if you are not in hurry...then wait for AutoExpo 2012.

[/quote']

Waiting for M&M to launch it in Lucknow.When is the Auto Expo going to start?

So,what is the expected price for the Renault Duster?But one thing to consider here will be how good is Renault's ASS in India.Let's wait and watch BTW thanks for informing.

@Mo.Faeq:

If your heart beats for XUV500 then go for it...nothing wrong about this car' date=' however if you are not in hurry...then wait for AutoExpo 2012.

[/quote']
So,what is the expected price for the Renault Duster?But one thing to consider here will be how good is Renault's ASS in India.Let's wait and watch BTW thanks for informing.

I think it should be held at pragati Maidan New Delhi in the end of First week or begining of second week in Jan 2012

Duster will be in the price band of Scorpio as far as A.S.S is concerned...definitely Renault needs to work a lot but they are improving day by day...and your city is not that unknown...so I am sure there will be a Service center for sure.
Sstar2011-11-29 12:37:45

@Mo.Faeq:

[/quote']

I think it should be held at pragati Maidan New Delhi in the end of First week or begining of second week in Jan 2012

Duster will be in the price band of Scorpio as far as A.S.S is concerned...definitely Renault needs to work a lot but they are improving day by day...and your city is not that unknown...so I am sure there will be a Service center for sure.

Okay,I informed it from a showroom of M&M that it will be launched here in LKO around Jan-Feb.SO,I'll wait for Renault's Duster & If it's good then I'll book it!

Whats your Budget -

Kms driven monthly -   kms

Bodyshell -            Hatch/ Sedan/SUV/ MUV/ Performance car

City/Highway usage% - 00:00

Max No.of Passangers - ______ most of the time 

Average height of family members-

Boot space Importance - ______ High/Low/Medium

Travel bug ?--

Usage by - __________________Self driven/Lady/Old age/Driver

Ownership - _________________City/ Outskirts

Safety - _____________________High/Medium/Low

Prime requirement -                        Ride Handling/ Looks/ FE/ AfSS etc

Preferred Manufacturer -

Encounter bad roads?                Yes/ No

Previous cars ?/Existing owned cars ________________

Night travel on Highways? __________

Just thought of adding some more to this list. My addition to this list are marked in RED. A big credit goes to creativebala for this template. Since he created this thread for all those who ask everyday "what car" question, I would like to add something which I hope will help them even further in deciding what to buy and how to buy.

So, do you actually need a car?

Hypothetical question? Not at all. Automobile is not just a machine, it is an industry and business. Pushing you a car with attractive promotions and offer is their duty and whether to buy one is your choice. Check your family members. If you are a small family you generally do not need anything more than two cars for domestic purpose. Do not buy a new one just because it is new and looks good. Before exchanging your old car, think twice. A new car means an expenditure and depreciation. If your old car is trouble free and meets most of the requirement of the above mentioned list, also is not run too much, then use it till it dies. It saves a lot of money in the process. May be investing on the old car to make it almost new is a far more sensible option than to go for a new one.

For a first car buyer, calculate your financial abilities and whether you can really run it. Do not buy a car because your neighbor bought one and you want a even better one. Keep that ego in a check. A new car will loose from 20 to 30 percent just from the time it rolls down that showroom ramp. All you have in the ownership time is expenditure(unless a commercial car). The need for a car should also be evaluated.

What car ?

Simple, to get a primary idea use that template. For fine tuning your choice and zeroing on one, Test Drive  shortlisted car(s).

To loan or not to loan ? and that attractive EMI

Loans and EMI has got one basic problem. Interest on the amount. For some it is easier to give say 5000/month rather than 5L straightaway. But at the end of the repay season, you will end up paying for a huge amount more than the actual price. Your Honda City costs 10L on road and you paid 14.5L at the end of the repay with the interest. Since car companies still enjoy being paid in CASH and that part relives some from TAX burden from you, it is still wiser to take 10L cash and buy that car, rather than loan.

But that is not always possible. Moreover some people do enjoy institutional loans (loans from their offices) which has less interest charges or other benefits. So it is always an option. That is why you should always calculate all financial matters related to your car buying process.

What is the actual running cost of the car?

Now, everyone wants a car with less running costs. Even the Grand Vitara guy wants that from the corner of his heart. But what is the actual running cost of the car ?

Generally people think that more the FE(fuel efficiency) less is my running cost. Think twice. A BMW 320d(diesel) can have an average efficiency of say 12kmpl. Your Swift petrol is having an average FE of 12kmpl as well. So the BMW guy is the winner right? since diesel is cheaper than petrol. Wrong.

Running costs include everything from service, maintenance, spares, fuel price, FE and that every penny you spend on the car(including that perfume bottle).

Total expenditure on the car for a year

Mathematically, running cost =   -----------------------------------------

Total kilometers traveled

So two same cars, traveling similar number of kilometers(same fuel) can have different running cost/km.

Brand Value

Skoda better than Maruti ? Yes and No.

We have developed this European, Japanese, Korean and Indian phobia. But at the end of the day, the car that gives you less trouble, more service, prolonged life, less expenditure is the one to go for. While big brands do score in technology and quality, these come at premium. In that case you loose a lot in resale and burn your own pocket. So choose wisely, instead of blind faith. Read and inquire others who own cars that you like. That bling bling E class can be a head turner, but there can be a sad owner behind the wheel. So do not judge a book by its cover. Do some research yourself.

Must have Accessories and the Warranty issues.

That ZXi can be fully loaded, but is it worth extending your budget?

Depends. If you think of resale, it helps but in the period of ownership, you might end up using only 50% of all the features. For eg, I have a Head Unit with Aux and I have not been able to find time to use it in four years. Beat that.May be that some of the listed Accessories can be or should be preferred

1. Window film (RTO approved) And I have already said why that Rs34000 V kool is just a waste of money. If you want a good film, upto 5000 is what you can spend

2. Floor mats and ****y mat

3. Central locking (prefer one that comes with the car)

4. Gear lock

5. Day Night RVM

6. A car cover (even if you have a covered parking)

7. Music System ( a simple decent system, unless you are a serious audiophile)

8. Steering cover

9. Rear wash and wipe (that comes with a model)

10. Fog lamps OEM

11. Power windows OEM

12. 12V socket OEM

13. Left side RVM (if not present)

14. Art leather seat covers ( a pricey stanley is what you can avoid because seat covers do take a fair amount of torture)

Warranty issues.

Nowadays, every showroom will tell you that getting that ICE fitted from outside will void warranty. Rubbish!. A decent shop who does not follow a jugad is fine. In fact all ICE comes with harness and Cars itself has these. Some cars even have Parking sensor harness. Accessories like Fog lamps, Parking cameras, Central lock, HIDs, DRL, and some more require additional wiring. If any such accessory is a priority then go for a car with OEM facility. Otherwise go to a good and reputed accessory shop who does all these using connectors.

But there are tricks from the manufacturer too. So read the warranty section of the manual to understand more and better avoid a fancy add on in these warranty period. Also extended warranty by paying a few money is worth than adding a fancy accessory.

Some accessories that you might avoid

1. Sunroof

2. Parking camera.

3. Illuminated door sills

4. Fancy horn

5. Start/stop button

6. Side skirts (body kits)

7. Graphics.

8. Metal crashguard.

Service and Maintenance

Just spending some money on a shiny new car is not worth unless you service and maintain this car. Service and maintenance is an integral part that you cannot skip or avoid. Make sure that you are ready to get all free service and that yearly service done. Missing one can be dangerous and downs resale as well. Some of the maintenance jobs crop up every now and then. Things like tyre rotation, alignment and balancing is a frequent job. It is recommended that you service your car from authorized service stations only.

Service and maintenance is a money draining process as well. So it is better that the owners learn some DIY(do it yourself) jobs to easy that spending amount. Cleaning your car with car care products at home and things like cleaning your air filter saves a lot on labour. But one must not try this without assistance and confidence. Read your instruction manual of the car thoroughly and keep it with the car always.

Safety for you! Safety for your car!

Roads are for travel and roads can take you places you would love to see. But roads are never butter smooth and not all drivers are responsible. So safety and security is top priority for a car.

But the answer to safety is not ABS,EBD, Airbags and Attention assists. The answer is YOU. Hypothetical again ? Not really. One can hear stories about a long term ownership of a Maruti 800 that has traveled almost entire country and is yet to meet with an accident. While recently one lost his dear life in a Mercedes S class, due to Airbag failure.

While safe driving has been there is different threads, I would still insist on some basic rules.

1. Do not drink and drive. Never. There is no drink that can keep you in check.

2. Do wear seat belts. (for all passengers) and do not consider it as an act to protect from COPs.

3. Drive at controlled speeds. I would put down a speed limit of 80kmph for Indian Highways, whatever your car may be. It not only saves fuel but helps reaction time. 10kmph less at night since visibility is low.

4. Never use High Beams at night. Use dipper to ask for pass.

Safety for Car

1. Have Central lock and Gear lock.

2. Park in a safe place and opt for pay park when out of vision.

3. Use a cover.

4. Never show off in public places. It draws attention.

5. Try to have a proper garage at home.

6. Keep handbrake on and steering locked when parked. Also try to keep in gears.

Some little things that you need to have from day one of owning a car.

1. Car shampoo

2. Car wax/polish

3. Mitt cloth (many)

4. A dedicated glass cleaner.

5. A branded duster.

6. Tyre foam.

7. Vaccum cleaner at home.

8. A tubeless puncture repair kit.

9. Universal cleaner.

10. HIT/ Mortein spray.

There is no end to addition in this list. Moreover the above post is subject to owners opinion. These are personal opinions which I think is sensible. Decisions may vary subject to requirement.

Keep Driving !! and Love your Car.

sb-alto2011-12-01 07:06:55

contd from above post . .

Head Car ? Heart Car?

So, what is a head car ? Head car is one which is the most sensible buy for a person with respective choice and usage. Also it is defined as the appropriate car for a want.

And Heart car? This is one that you love the most. May be the car/manufacturer which your dad used. One with which you are emotionally attached. One which you really love in spite of some odds. One that turns your head. One that you already have one at home and want another one. One which you waited for ever since. etc etc. It is one example which cannot or should not be logically explained.

But that Heart car is hardly suggested right ? So it is not wise to buy one?

Who said? Ask that VRs guy or that Fiesta S owner. Or that rich guy who bought yet another OHC vtec.

You just need to be aware of certain things/consequences before going for your heart car.

1. Financial abilities - Generally people have tendency to fall in love with costly V6s or powerful cars that are pricey. So do think about whether you can really buy one and keep it in the long run. Remember, you wont be able to dispose this one that easily. But not that there are exceptions and alternatives. Some people love that cute Nano and buys one, while the other searches the haystack to find a sweet used car. It is always better to stick to a budget.

See if that car meets your expectations.

This is like having a small head in the heart as well. Some people love a car from wallpapers and stories, but when they go hunting for one, they are disappointed with the overall factors. One that matches with your fantasy and expectations is the perfect heart car.

Exceptions that you can live with

Like I said, a Heart car is hardly suggested, because it must have lacked certain Head factors. Research on what is amiss about the car you love and whether you can live with it. Eg, some enthusiast like an Accord V6, but cannot digest the fact that it will deliver 6kmpl overall. Or that sporty VRs does not come with beige interiors and a dented bumper and bonnet will cost an Alto k10. Finding spares can be tough for some old timers.

Research the best dealership

Read about people who have fell in love with a similar car, and from where they have bought the car. With social networks and loads of open forum, it is not tough to find one. You can learn about bad dealers and good dealers. While say 80% of the Skoda dealers are known for bad service in a state, there  is still that 20% who do some good. A good dealer can help you to love your car more. This is applicable for all cars though.

Read about ownership reviews.

Trust me, lots of people out there buy a car without any homework and they write reviews as well. An ownership review might not always be good, or you come to know about negatives of the car as well. If there is too much negative about a car, start hating it. Stories help you to fall in  love with cars and stories about worries will help you to hate one too.

Collect all helpline numbers before hand

Be prepared for a battle for all odds from day one. One call to the right person in any wrong can easy things up a bit. Reference from friends having similar cars also helps. If you want that rare species to remain protected, go all guns blazing. Some contacts of spare parts dealer is also required.

Test drive thoroughly

For some heart cars, finding a new one for TD is not always possible. In that case, drive a lot of used cars, from dealers, friends and whoever you can. Driving many can help you understand whether there is any common problems or whether it is fit according to your expectations.

Keep a side car ready.

As said above, having a Head car is recommended. Having only that much loved car in your garage can restrict you from required usage. Heart car can be a second option unless that is the Head car for you as well. But Head and heart hardly go together. Some people use their Heart car occasionally. A rich guy uses a Vento TDi daily but rips the highway once a week with that EvolutionX.

Oh! Yes. Not that Limited Edition please.

That limited edition is a nice promotion and has certain features one would love to keep away. A special tail lamp design, some funky graphics, a limited paint shades are always problematic in the long run. You might find tough to get that paint shade to respray that scratched door, and that broken tail lamp will remain broken forever as you will never find a spare, not even from abroad.

Read around and you will find how a Skoda owner with limited edition tail lamps is in hunt for it and how a Sachin Tendulkar edition Palio GTX has scratched those autographs in a minor traffic snarl.

Ok, that ends some theory on how to approach a new car. To err is human, so if I have missed any points please add here.

Some more things on which I will write very soon are

1. How to choose a performance car?

2. Primary checklist for a new car buy and things to do. PDI

sb-alto2011-12-01 18:02:03

@sb

Oh man! Congrats for your Informative Work

Its like a mini-leaflet one SHOULD read before buying any kind of car.

So far, we have learnt many things regarding Photography, now its on car purchase. All in all, you are a Knowledge Godown.

I feel, some of your sub-topics deserve a thread for itself like " What should be carried?". Do start a separate thread for it plz.

@mods,

Can the crux of this informative post be put on Autocar Magazine and give a spl mention about sb.

creativebala2011-12-01 18:51:38

@bala

Thank you for the encouragement and I am glad that you liked it. Hope it helps the one who needs it the most.

Moreover Autocar India has been the pioneer in India car Magazine circuit. I am a big fan of their writing and enjoy reading their work. I am just a novice.

Ok, now comes the ultimate decision making part. Now that you know what you want out of your car, researched it, read reviews, shortlisted a few, test drove some and zeroed on one and off you go to the showroom to buy one. And the sky falls on your head.

Holy cow,! but how ? . . Read on -

That sales guy, that sudden discount, those sweet words, New dilemma!

Afterall that car is a part of business for the manufacturer, other than the machine in it. Business is tricky and can make the mighty one timid. I will explain with an example. A guy decided to go for the BMW 320d after evaluating all factors that suit his needs. He did everything to make sure that, it was the most sensible buy for him. He goes to that grand showroom and welcomed with a Hot coffee. The sales guy heard the story and nodded in acceptance about his choice for his 320d. Fair enough. But he said those magic words "Sir! We have a new offer". What ? "Pay Rs30k more and you can get yourself a 523i "

What? 5 series at the price of a 3? Your head and heart went for a battle about getting that 5 instead of 3. He forgot about his diesel requirement, the estimated yearly expenditure, his running cost, and more. Failing to control his decision, he buys that 5 and comes back home smiling.

In 6 months time, that smile faded. With skyrocketing petrol prices and daily running of 60kms he wants to get rid of this lovely 5.

To conclude, have faith in your decision, think twice,thrice before altering a decision which was taken with months of research and reading. You make a choice. Going with 5 user reviews or going with that smiling sales guy. Offers look good on papers and offers are for good too. Only thing is that, you need to find the right time and right offer to suit your need. Otherwise you might just get into a costly mess.

Now you know the psychological aspects of buying as well. But wait !! All that was written is for one who needs guidance about a new buy and is not a die hard auto fanatic. There is only a handful of Enthusiast among the millions of car buyers in India. Someone can say, "Thats news for a layman! What have you got for me?" Or " I have been driving since you were in your nappies".

The performance car query. ( Not for the faint heart )

Performance Car V/S Enthusiasts Car

Sounds similar right? Nope. To start off, Enthusiast(car owner) is someone who has tremendous interest in Automobiles. He loves his car, spends time on his car, has been auto-educated ever since and know his Car(s) in and out.

Now Performance is a rather vague term. It is generalized. All owners want performance out of their car and anyone evaluating a car will and must judge it by performance.

But, in Automotive terms, performance car is categorized by the outstanding, one in a thousand car which gives that extra bit of pleasure and happiness for one who loves their car and understands it thoroughly. It has some pioneer engineering that makes the car unique and desirable one for the guy who is Auto educated.

Performance and Control (Control on car, control on oneself)

With added performance comes added responsibility. While performance car gives that pleasure while extracting the performance, it should be carried out with control on ego, attitude, desires and control on the car. Performance is limited and is subjected to proper usage too. Remember to evaluate the cars limits and push it only when surroundings permit you. Also pushing it in the right way will ensure safety as well.

It is always wise to drive an unaccustomed car normally for a few days before pushing it. Also one needs to check whether all mechanisms are sound. If a car rolls to much, or understeer, or oversteer, it is not wise to throw it on corners in public roads. To get a finer understanding of performance, one can join motorsports clubs, participate in karting, do test runs on tracks and understand your car.

Performance is not about Racing! but racing is all about performance

Remember, that you can have a performance car, but it does not mean that you have to race. Also this forum does not encourage racing on streets and showing of that skill you acquired. If you love racing, go join a professional motorsports club and do supervised runs.

To choose a car.

Tough job, and not at all as easy as buying a car that you need. It is rather a car you want and you have specific intention too.

Select the type of car you would love to have. A sedan, a hatch or a crossover.

Fuel option is next. Who said that performance comes only from Petrol? Go drive that Polo cup car. If you are comfortable in diesel and want a fair bit of economy, you can select a diesel car as well.

Do more homework. This one requires extra bit of understanding. Check with other performance owner. See what is favourite among tuners, racers and that performance clan. You can understand why that Esteem is still used as a super saloon class in Indian Motorsports club, despite the presence of modern powerful options. Read reviews thoroughly and see if it has that thing which you are looking for in particular.

Budgeting and Checking your wallet.

Again, performance cars does not mean mighty V6 only. That Alto k10 is also a performance car for some and not at all a compromise. Do stick to a budget and search accordingly. Buying used is often the most common way to add that extra bit.

Also remember that a performance car generally involves recurring expenses. More than what a normal Head car will "burn a hole in you wallet". It is like itching more to get more everyday. So keep financial ability flexible. Do not buy a costly one and then keep nothing for upgrades.

What you expect our of you Car ?

Performance involves a lot of characteristics, like handling, power, torque, acceleration, P/W ratio, gear ratios, weight distribution, center of gravity, drivetrain, engine type, engine capacity, power bands, straight line stability, to name only a few.

Think of what you want out of your car. While some loves the bottom end grunt, others can love the top end power. One can love the naturally aspirated engine, while the other falls for a turbocharger. These are just examples. And you generally do not have everything in one particular car. So do figure out your actual requirement and how far you want to go with this car. If it is just spicing up a bit, you might not need a Octavia VRs.

. . . and What you do not !!

While a car gives you some, it takes something in return. Vitamin M is the first factor. To spice it up, you need money and if you are hesitant about that, better stay away from that special motor. Like !what ? Rs 5000 for 4 litres of engine oil ? Well Yes!

Efficiency is next. Not that Performance cars are not efficient, one can argue about Vtecs and K-series, and also many add-ons that help improving efficiency. All fine till you explain that to your foot nerves. You are not doing 3rd gear ~30kmph here.

Peace of mind. Really ? Sometimes yes. Pushing your performance car will wear out the mechanisms faster as compared to sedate driving. So you have to maintain this baby more and again visit the doc often.

Time. Yes, that too. You have to spend more time than the other one in your garage. Special care and more flexibility will make you sit long hours finding answers to your finer queries.

to be continued..

sb-alto2011-12-02 07:30:44

contd from above post . .

History of the Car in motorsports.

Many cars are first made for sports use only and next converted into a civilian usable one. Or some cars are manufactured keeping in mind a upgrade for the next season rally. Same chassis, same engine is often carried over and re tuned for domestic use. Some manufacturer themselves encourage upgrading the stock to get a marginal improvement. You have Mugen Civic Si and TRD corolla elsewhere.

Check for cars which are popular as sports use after upgrades and cars whose upgrading parts are easily available. Also research on most popular cars to tune.

History of the manufacturer.

Not everyone makes a sporty car. Some aim for specific market and target the masses. While there is someone to make you happy as well. Find out that who. Manufacturer having some experience in motorsports do have tendency to put that technology in your daily car to make it a bit more exciting. Example can be Ford's chassis and the company's collaboration with Cosworth at one level. Mitsubishi lancer was researched and developed with rally technology and, Chevy Cruze is a popular racer in the American motorsports.

Engine matters

Engine is what drives the car. How it responds to your wish is a key to select a performance car. A nice chassis with a dull engine is never a good combo. So selecting one with a decent score in every performance aspect is vital. An engine that loves to be revved is generally preferred, while some go to the extent of finding an engine with desired powerband.

Naturally aspirated is loved by some, while others love that turbo whistle. So decide the engine you would love to work on.

Transmission

People who love to drive, loves manual transmission. Not only, it is easier to maintain but responds quicker and according to the drivers choice. An automatic even with paddle shifts will be slower to respond. But some cars do not come with manual even as option. Say the Evo X in India.

Check the gear ratios and the throw of the gear. One of those thing that makes it feel sporty. Also a car with clutch complains is better avoided, unless you have that Exedy in mind.

Engine bay and engine flexibility.

That Hot hatch often has a cramped engine bay and the idea of a good CAI is out because of space concern. Or there is no bolt on Headers for a particular car, because of some unique design and clever space utilization. Now you know why old Zen,Esteems, Baleno and OHC is so popular to modify.

Some modern compact engine does not use universal connectors, which makes it difficult for performance products to go in directly. Do a extensive study before taking a plunge.

Other flexibility.

Many popular performance parts manufacturer has custom parts for your car. Like suspension upgrades, tyres, Air filters, Clutches, Exhausts and so much more. Make sure you go for a car which has that flexibility to get aftermarket parts easily and is common among tuners.

Also you would not want to compromise on safety and driving character just to get a performance add on.

Aerodynamics

Streamlined cars with low roof and low center of gravity reduces coefficient of drag, improving stability and performance. A car with flat and high side will be affected by crosswinds and stability will be lesser.

But that body kit is not a solution. While body kits look cool, not many are actually designed keeping aerodynamics in mind. They also add some weight to your car. Body kits on professional racing cars are build with years of research and test. One available will be super pricey.

ECU upgrades.

This is a very common upgrade these days and is available for many indian cars. While some requires a newly plugged ECU, others can be remapped using proper softwares and can give good results. This is one little thing that adds significant performance while keeping the car look stock. Check with performance shop for the availability of ECU. Also review of ECU is to be read first. One which is reliable should be chosen over the one with which people have faced problem with.

Professional help in deciding products and fitment

It is highly recommended that, people take professional help while carrying out modifications. Products are categorized according to engine size, air fuel ratio and what not. These involve complex calculations. Even for that tyre, you would want to have a perfect upsize or close to it. Making a dyno run and asking for specific improvements is wiser. Although Accessories shops do store performance products, they are not always the best people for advice or fitment.

It happens many a times, that the CAI one has fitted sucks up the air from the hottest section of the engine.

Better safe than sorry

Safety is always primary and it gets even more crucial with upgraded or that spicy alternative. So make sure that you buy a car with good safety features. When going for used cars, check thoroughly for accident repairs. That welded chassis can bring disaster. Good brakes, good rubber and proper lights are must. Your performance car got to have some added safety over that "just another car"

Also try to get a ZXi instead of a Lxi. ABS, airbags might save you one day, might not. Be responsible and drive with seatbelts on.

Now, that's not performance.

Performance is from within, and as I said, certain things do get popular as modifications while they add zero to your performance factors.

Not all alloy wheels are lighter than stock rims. I have seen chrome alloys that weigh significantly more than those silly steel rims.

That cloth hangar spoiler with brake lamp does help downforce. Is there any functional spoiler? Yes, contact professional performance guys.

Body kit. I said that before. They are hardly effective as aero aids.

Budget - Upto Rs 10L

Kms driven monthly - 800kms

Bodyshell - Sedan

Max No.of Passangers - 4

Boot space Importance - Medium

Usage by - Normal

Ownership - Outskirts

Safety - Medium

Prime requirement - Ride/ Handling/Looks/Resale/Fuel efficiency/After sales service/Low maintenance

Softcorner'd Manufacturer -Toyota Etios,Maruti SX4,Swift DZire,new FORD Fiesta

Budget - Upto Rs 5.5L

Kms driven monthly - 300kms

Bodyshell - Hatch

Max No.of Passangers - 3

Boot space Importance - Low

Usage by - Normal

Ownership - City

Safety - Medium

Prime requirement - Handling/Looks/Fuel efficiency/

Softcorner'd Manufacturer - Honda Brio, Hyundai i10, Maruti Wagon R.

Planning to get a new car my requirements are :

MY Budget - 10-11 Lakhs

Kms driven monthly - 600-700 kms

Bodyshell - Sedan

City/Highway split - 40:20

Max No.of Passangers - 5 most of the time

Boot space Importance - High

Usage by - Enthu

Ownership - both City / Outskirts

Safety - High

Prime requirement - Ride/ Handling/Looks/Passenger Comfort

Softcorner'd Manufacturer - Hyundai Verna* , Honda City, Skoda Rapid

**Consufused whether to go with Petrol or Diesel**

A slightly modified NEW template

Whats your Budget ______________________________
Rs 00.00L

Kms driven monthly _____________________________
kms

Bodyshell ______________________________________
Hatch/ Sedan/SUV/ MUV/Hybrid

City/Highway split _______________________________
00 : 00

Max No.of Passangers -_____________________ ______
Most of the time

Boot space Importance - ______ ____________________
High/Low/Medium

Usage by - ______________________________________
Student/Normal/Enthu/Lady/Old

Ownership - ____________________________________
City/ Outskirts

Safety - ________________________________________
High/Medium/anything

Are you OK with pre-owned_______________________
Y / N

Is Aftersale price an Imp. factor
-___________________ Y / N

OK with high maintainance
-_______________________ Y / N

Is Lower GC a problem-___________________________
Y / N

How long you can wait- ___________________________

Softcorner'd Manufacturer -

Prime requirement -
Ride/ Handling/FE/Braking/Looks/AfSS/Passenger Comfort

@ mods, can you please change this Template in starting of this thread.

hey guys i will be in the market to buy a premium luxury car i have a s class so no merc i love the way new audi's have started looking iam confused between audia a6 and the bmw 5 series (a6 2.0 tdi & BMW 520d) i'am a 19 year old boy and the car wont be going much into the highways will stay only in the city my requirement are under also i read that the prices of the cars from europe may go down in future as the import duties may be reduced is this true if so then by how much

City/Highway split - 80:20

Max No.of Passangers - 3

Boot space Importance - ___medium

Usage by - ________normal

Ownership - ______city

Safety - ___________high

Prime requirement - Ride/Resale/Passenger Comfort

Softcorner'd Manufacturer - audi