Brn2Crz

Spares

What do you carry in the boot?  I carry a spares set that includes an oil filter, air filter, gas filter (and tool), a/c filter, oil, brake fluid (#4), hydraulic fluid, timing and/or accessory belt and tensor, small tools, electrical tape, plastic wraps, duct tape, window cleaner, rags, paper towels and a plastic ground sheet.  This is for mechanical.  What do you carry?

I used to carry many items. Modern cars make them (oil filter, air filter, gas filter (and tool), a/c filter, oil, brake

fluid (#4), hydraulic fluid, timing and/or accessory belt and tensor) redundant. If you lose brake fluid or any other hydraulic fluid the advice from a Hyundai dealer - fill/ top up  with water, and do not trust the roadside oil shops.  I just carry the car tool box and a cross brace. Undoing the wheel nuts with the standard L-brace is difficult.

In my case you cannot find anything else in the boot of my cars except a spare wheel and jack etc etc etc..

And last but not least,all of my cars are having JBL bass tubes(sub-woofer)in their boot,two in Innova(both vertical),one in i10..none in Laura.

The Hyundai dealer is wrong.  Never, ever, never add water to the brake fluid.  Brake fluid is hydrophilic (it loves water). It sucks it up and will ruin the ABS and caliper assembly.  When braking the water will vaporize creating bubbles in the line and the brakes will fail.  That's the best part.  The worst is that the entire brake system will have to be purged and the ABS and calipers rebuilt.

This should be a whole new topic....brakes.

Beside mechanical, I also carry a medical kit, food (cans and candy and utensils), tire sealant and pump, water and a tent and sleeping bag.  Yes, there is till room in the boot even with that CNG tank.

I agree with Brn2Crz,when I met the ABS filure in my Innova that time Toyota service advisor told me that it is not at all advisable to fill anything else except the brake fluid in its place.Though we can use any local roadside oil for going 100-200kms and then get the car to service center and get the system cleaned up,repaired(if any faults) and get the recommended fluid.

The Hyundai dealer is wrong.  Never' date=' ever, never add water to the brake fluid.  Brake fluid is hydrophilic (it loves water).[/quote']

All known. In any case if you have lost hydraulics the system will have to be purged, etc. You have missed the point, The roadside oil vendor is almost certain to sell you some fluid with a mineral content. This will damage teh rubber parts irretrievably. So as  get me home measure water may be preferable.

This gentleman, who is around 80, ran the best garage in Kanpur for well over a quarter of a century, before he took up the dealership. I argued about the hygroscopic nature of the hydraulic fluid, etc. with him, and you have the gist of his answer.

@Sgiitk:

I am doubtful if the water is also as dengerous in this case as are the mineral laden fluids which are sold by road side vendors.

Secondly,are these fluids so fast reacting that we can't use them even as a get-to-home measure ,as Toyota service advisor advised me?

Once you put in a mineral the softening process starts immediately. Also, the oil cannot be purged out totally. With water the biggest problem is the lower boiling point. So drive gently. Once the gentleman told me I was also sceptical. On second and third thoughts I caught the logic.

Don't buy from road side vendors.  Carry OEM approved brake fluid (3 or 4 whichever you have) and OEM hydraulic fluid and OEM radiator.  Remember that radiators use orange or green and mixing them is death to the car.  Same for trannys (auto)...Dextron II and III are totally different.  Make sure you know what your car uses.