sandli

Steering Wheel Modification For diffrently abled

Hi,

I am Vasanth K Sandli, I am a Physically challenged person. I am

suffering form Muscular dystrophy, it is a disorder that involve muscle

weakness and loss of muscle tissue. Due to this I have difficulty to

take up the public transportation I thought of owning a car. When I

contacted the Learning school they informed that I could not drive a

four wheeler (even power steering) with out a proper modification as i do not have strength

in both the hands I had difficulty while taking the turns while

driving. I could not put sufficient pressure/force on steering to turn

the steering wheel. Though I took time and tried to learn with out

modification but failed on all the three attempts.

I contacted few manufacturers but even they could not help me in this

as they cannot put manpower for one single vehicle. I also contacted

few local garages but they do not have technology or the expertise to

do that kind of modification.

I was wondering if there is any one who could do such modification according to requirements.

Waiting for response from any one...

user_online.gif

quote.gif

Hello Vasanth, welcome ot the Forum. Our members here would be glad to help you out. Could you please describe the modifications you would like to have in your vehicle. 

There can be a scooter type of handle/steering fitted in place of regular steering. All depends on what you think will be the most beneficial!

All those who know of such modifications please help out our friend here.

Hi

As i said that i could not put sufficient pressure/force to trun the steering wheel while taking turns, even with power steering . I am not sure how benificial it would be to use a scooter type handle coz even it require force to move/turn it. But probably could try that as my right arm is stronger than the left so using the scooter type handle might work out but have to try before saying YES.

Mainly i was looking if some one can modify the power steering in such a way that i would not have to use lot of strength to turn the vehicle. To let you know i did not feel any difficulty driving vehicle on road except while taking turns and moving the wheels while vehicle is in halt. 

Hello Vasanth,How are you?

Most-most welcome to the forum,I salute your determination for despite having a problem you still want to drive.

My intentions are not at all to hurt you(or your feelings) any way,but what I feel is as follows:-

Although you can get any good A/T transmission car with a very light and precise steering,or any auto-tuner/modifier can get the job done for you.Still I'd advise you to get a chauffeur instead of driving yourself.Reason-As you have mentioned that your left hand does not have enough strength for driving,I am sure you can get anything suited to you in the market but what will happen in case of any emergency situation while driving?

You know that there is a problem,but what to do with THE STREET ***** WHO ALWAYS TRY TO MAKE SUICIDAL ATTEMPTS BY COMING IN FRONT OF YOUR CAR?Or in any case where you need sudden steering inputs,in those cases it may be dangerous for you as well as others accompanying you.Please don't take my comments any wrong,what I want is you to be safe on the roads-the roads on which nobody is going to think of you but will drive/walk according to their wish.

SO MY ADVICE FOR YOU IS TO GET A CHAUFFEUR INSTEAD OF GETTING OTHER MOD JOBS DONE.You may get the job done,if you want to drive seldom.

@

sgiitk : Yes sir i have contacted Maruti & Tata but was not much of help as making modification for one vehicle is not feasible for them. Thats the reason i am looking for a qualified engineer who could help me in this. 

@ TSiVipul  : Thanks a lot pal for the concern and advice, i appreciate that. Talking about the sudden steering inputs on street/roads/in traffic, thats is the main reason i am looking for the modification coz i can drive A/T with Power steering car on straight roads using a Universal knob, but i does not fulfill my purpose. And these does not fulfill my purpose is because of the risk factor you have mentioned, and thats the reason i am looking for a modification. 

It would be really great help if any could help me in finding some one who is qualified in doing these kind of modifications.

@Sandli:

The steer by wire(which we call drive by wire too)can be perfect for you because it lightens the steering significantly and the responsiveness increases too(ifyou want).About the EPS mod jobs,I am still doubtful if it will be as much suitable as you need or not.

So I can try Steer By Wire and see if it helps me. are these modification come/done by manufacturer or do i have to get it done from open market. if u have any idea about it

@ Sandi I would like you to consider i20 1.4lt automatic .

Reasons -

The steering is very light ,as light as the old honda city ZX .

The automatic transmission is a huge help

You can reduce the width of the stock tyre and go for lower friction tyres which helps lighten the steering .

You can try a second hand honda city ZX and fit it with light alloys and slim tyres . Test drive any of the two car above and if you feel that the steering is comfortable for you then you can try this simple mods . Though this is not recommanded and please get a license before you drive any vehicle .

@ sandi check the magzine july issue as pointed out by sb alto . There an i10 was modified to suit a disable with lifetime warrenty given on the mod job.

Also if you can provide with written statement that you can only drive automatic car from a doctor the Govt of India will not charge you  with RTO or road tax on the vehicle you buy so you can buy any automatic at ex showroom price.

@Sandli:

As mentioned above by Rssh,there is one such article in the ACI magazine's current issue.And the news of this A/T vehicle road tax compensation(100%)is also true,just 5 mins ago talked to RTO-Meerut itself for inquiring it.

You can find the article on page no. 51 of the magazine on the bottom half in a black box.

It has mentioned some    Ferro equipwith a girl driving an i10 equipped with it,and yes,this is not obscenely expensive too,its just 17000 to 35000 bucks to get your car's steering system transformed.For more details you can also visit(dunno why,but i am feeling bad odd mentioning this website due to its name) http://handicappedpeople.com there you will find more details about the ferro equip.