anjan_c2007

Driven around Review-The Tata Winger

Was driven around in a Tata Winger for about 70 kms very recently. The Winger is passenger friendly and one falls in love at first sight with the machine.The seats are ergonomic.Its more comfy than any other Tata bus (other than the newer breed of A.C. Buses they are making).The one I travelled in, had three seats behind the drivers seat (2+1). So the passenger near the exit door(the door is of the sliding Omni type and opens only to the left) has to exit himself for others to get out or get in. Much like the Standard Herald. There is no exit from the right. The front (driver's)row also has three seats, including the one at the centre.But its wiser to have only two seated in front, unless the passengers are too many.The seat (first row) just behind the driver's seat has to make some compromise with the legroom that abruptly ends due to some mechanicals being covered up by sheet metal.The other rows have better legroom.

The bus has a lower ground clearance that is quite OK for city driving and to balance its centre of gravity. Its car like and the traveller feels he's in a SUV or a car at the most. Maybe for rural areas the going will be tough.

As I said, the bus is quite comfortable by Tata bus standards, but its nothing so great to speak of. The suspensions need to be bettered to greater levels. This is an executive bus and cannot be left out of the factory with the old time tested and proven, Tata suspension designs.

The A.C. is a bore and with seven plus one (driver) passengers, it was not in a position to do its duty properly.There are A.C. vents on the dash, two on the top of the A pillar and the rear unit is the biggest of them all ! Its located on the roof just above the driver's seat row ends. There are vents and the joints marked in the picture had water leaks all of a sudden. Tata for us all smiley1.gif!

The dash plastic is a turn off and quite cheap looking. The dash is quite basic and has the glove box located at the centre.

The exterior fit and finish is a tad better than the older Wingers, but nothing great to speak of ! The doors need muscle power to get closed- especially the sliding rear door needs a grrreat push to close and especially if there is a trim lady over there to do the job, the driver may say "bannd nahi hua deviji !" (meaning the door ain't closed).The drive is quite OK as the Winger could do 70-80kmph with ease on the expressway with low NVH and overtake many sleeker cars.It was never short of power to do its duty. I liked the running footboard as it was well located and the design is of a detached kind-detached from the body. Dirt accumulating on its can be washed away hence.

Overall, its a great effort by Tata but needs to be bettered towards a greater perfection.

n.

567803d1309183262-tata-winger-test-drive

BornFree2011-06-27 14:52:56

Tata Winger is actually a Indian-ised Renault van.

Some inherent crudeness arrived into it while Indian-ising it & biggest of them is the Tata 207/Sumo based 1997cc NA Diesel engine, even Old Safari-based 2.0 TCIC engine(which powers its top end variant) isn't that much great either.

Being a Tata car, its having typical;

-Tata pros: Good paint finish, Spacious yet Comfortable interiors, Cheap &easy Ownership experience) &

-Tata Cons: Average quality materials used, Average performance & Crude mechanical tit-bits.

Tata Winger is basically Renault trafic of late 80s whose tooling Tata purchased lock stock and barrel from Renault and fitted its ancient engines.But it costs nearly 7 lakhs in base trim and as per your views Anjaan sir -It is on expensive side and Force traveller is much better in this regard though tad expensive.

Anyways , it was wonderful review Anjaan Sir.Thank you.

I have been in winger for 1000 kms, that's too 'n fro to coorg, what a pleasure ride it was, love it every bit.

The high light of winger is its packaging. With a foot print of about Tavera, it carries 10 people with Volvo like comfort.

It feels good to be motored around in any vehicle other than the back longitudinal bench of a Mahindra MM540. I'd prefer this with a low centre of gravity to the Force Tempo Traveller: I know a family whose Tempo Traveller (being tall is inherently unstable, like our Omni) turned turtle on one of their trips and the harrowing time they had there after, luckily no major injuries.

I really enjoyed reading your short review about TATA WINGER.

I had traveled in Tata WInger for close to 18 months as my daily transportation to my work,i feel this is one pure VFM van's available in our market