devbhatia

VW Polo Gasket / Head

I had purchased a VW Polo 1.2 Highline in april 2010.

The engine check light showed up recently and i went to 2 VW worlshops....the second workshop says they need to replace the "gaskets & seals"...

a) is this a normal issue?'

B) The first workshop i went to said that they will replace my engine!

Shd i be worried????

@Dev:

You really don't need to be worried at all,just get your Polo checked up again,if possible then at a third and better VW service center.And if the advise of the second and third workshop matches(gaskets and seals issue)then just talk to the Service advisor personally,I am sure you will get the solution,and yes if he tries to ignore you after just one talk then you can offer him to get some money and buy his time for you.It really works,believe me,its my personal experience.

@vipul

thanks ... but i think this is agood service center... im just confused between both the opinions and im not ready to accept an engine change ..as the car has just completed a year...

@ashikawa petrol ...

thanks...there are no long term effects to this right?

Don't worry either they will change some seals and gasket or it may also be a head change. I think if they change the whole engine , as advised by some workshop to you , than that's the best in my view.

Also don't forget to buy extended warranty which is available for 7199/- for 2 additional years. If you purchased the car before March 31, 2011 than you have this option only before August 31,2011.

Need not to get worried devbhatia.

As previously Polos(P&D) are reported with engine Head malfunctioning/defects of Initial batches.

I'd advice, if Service Centre agrees then go for Complete engine replacement as it'll reduce the chances of malfunctioning issues in nearby future.
dr_nishu2011-07-04 20:45:53

@Nishu:

Engine transplant!!

I think it is going to cost a bomb changing the engine of a car and also will it have any warranty too?If yes,then I think it will be minimal.(correct me if I am wrong).

The most cost effective fix will be to change the head gasket and seals. The head must be checked for warping, and if not Ok skimmed or replaced. If it is a warranty job then changing the engine is an option, but then all documentation will have to be changed, RTO permission taken, and the plates will no longer conform. So I will go for the head job!

It is highly unusual to have to do this.

@Nishu:

Engine transplant!!

I think it is going to cost a bomb changing the engine of a car and also will it have any warranty too?

This is a type of Recall job, being performed silently by VW. Its not the single infact many Head/engine replacements are already being done by VW of their 3-cylinder 1.2 Polos & is fully covered under Warranty.dr_nishu2011-07-05 04:52:34

This is a type of Recall job' date=' being performed silently by VW. Its not the single infact many Head/engine replacements are already being done by VW of their 3-cylinder 1.2 Polos & is fully covered under Warranty.[/quote'] But if someone changed engine due to broken sump, whether it has been covered under warranty or paid by the customer.

Thanks everybody for your comments :)

The service station has called now saying some parts need to be replaced...and that they are sending the car back till the parts arrive...

ive asked them to send me in writing what needs to be changed etc ...once they do that..ill share it here...

is it safe to drive though? the service manager insists it is :S

But if someone changed engine due to broken sump' date=' whether it has been covered under warranty or paid by the customer.[/quote']

Either its paid by the owner itself or is covered under Insurance as its a sort of Accidental damage to the car.

One of the friend of my friend have replaced the entire engine of his Polo 1.2 TDI due to its damaged sump.

But if someone changed engine due to broken sump' date=' whether it has been covered under warranty or paid by the customer.[/quote']

Either its paid by the owner itself or is covered under Insurance as its a sort of Accidental damage to the car.
One of the friend of my friend have replaced the entire engine of his Polo 1.2 TDI due to its damaged sump.
So you rightly advised me to buy an insurance with Engine shield (Bajaj Allianz) because if somebody has to pay from pocket than he/she will be ripped off like anything.

BTW what's the case of your friend's friend, whether he paid himself or got it under insurance?

is it safe to drive though? the service manager insists it is :S

What are the other problems your car is showing now despite of the Glowing engine light? ?

I'm sure' date=' your Polo must be showing Slow pick-up, low fuel efficiency in addition to the glowing engine light.

Though VW Service manager insisted you can drive it in routine usage but I still advice you to keep an eye on its Engine Temprature light as defective gaskets & seals can lead to seizure of its engine in an Overheating engine.

But its better to Not use it in extreme conditions.

BTW what's the case of your friend's friend, whether he paid himself or got it under insurance?

On the way back to his home, a big stone lying at the mid of the Road hitted the engine sump of his Polo 1.2 TDI Comfortline, leading to its engine oil leakage.

He got it covered under Insurance.

@Dev:

If the service advisor has assured you that its safe to use the car,then be assured and use it.You just need to avoid the hard driving and long drives considering that it must be somewhat painful.

@Dev Bhatia: You have to take the service advisor's word for it. Take two opinions and choose between the dealerships who would provide better service and keep all communications and dates filed for future reference. Mail VW regards problem. It's unfortunate for this to have happened, thank God that it's under warranty.

I too had this engine warning light glowing within a week of my car delivery. As I didnt go through the manual regarding this, I called up my sales consultant in elite motors to ask what that is. That fellow simply told me it has has to glow when the ignition is on !!!!!! Within another day, I felt severe jerking of the car as the engine gets warmer. As it got more severe, I realised it was some misfiring in the engine. Immediately called the RSA and sent the vehicle to vw downtown. They took 4 days for resolving  the problem. They were reluctant to tell what was the cause of the problem. Finally on insisting they accepted there was misfiring in cylinder 1 and engine needed software update which they have done and working fine now. Could it be possible that I too had the problem with cylinder head ?

Could it be possible that I too had the problem with cylinder head ?
Please share your month/ year of manufacture and variant diesel/petrol. If the problem is over, you need not worry. Though in all the car all kinds of lights glow once when you switch the ignition on, Once the engine start, all they go off. It is normal. But it should not blink after that.

funnily enough my car is still not fixed... i have asked VW customer service to address my concerns and am still waiting for their email ... @sreekant i think they might have replaced the cylinder head...a software update will not help clear a physical issue as such...is what id think ...

funnily enough my car is still not fixed... i have asked VW customer service to address my concerns and am still waiting for their email ... @sreekant i think they might have replaced the cylinder head...a software update will not help clear a physical issue as such...is what id think ...
As you have discussed this matter in the forum on July 4, i understand that you must have given your car for fixing the problem by July 10 and now it is July 19. Hence reasonable time to fix the same is over. You may send an email to kundenbetreuung@volkswagen.de giving all details of your case. It is email id of VW customer care, Wolvesberg. They are more responsive compare to their lazy Indian counterpart.

I purchased VW Polo 1.2 Petrol ComfortLine in 2010.

For past about 8 to 10 months, I noticed the Catalytic Convertor light coming on during drive and sometimes going off too.

I read the manual and pointed this to VW Service center (Noida Sec63). Most often this light will not come on during the times my car was on service and since other matters needed attention, this got off the list.

This continued, until recently, the light came on and started blinking and engine started stalling. I actually panicked.

I somehow got the car off the NH-24 highway into a side street and I called Insurance and this service center for help, none came - both of them needed me to show RSA coverage which I did not have.

Couple of hours of telecon duels, and the engine had cooled off and I could drive the car to service station. Light did not come on.

Now the VW Service says that car has some problem on one of the three Cylinders and needs a Head replacement. I am not on any warranty - except Insurance.

They claim that Head is about INR 85,000 and against customer goodwill from VW, they will absorb 80% of the cost and charge me INR 17,000 only.

I have many question to ask to VW India / Germany on my situation, however for this current situation I need the car driveability reinstated.

Kindly guide me if these prices are quoted correctly OR I am being taken for a ride. The VW Service Center claims that I can confirm this from any other service center. But I trust this forum can guide me better.

Thank You

B RC

I think 85k for head is too high, don't know if the new engines have some complex alloys / AL head but the pricing of head gasket in swift (old one) is around 45k with labour.

I think your car has suffered through a lack of cylinder compression , Do you feel that the power has trailed off in recent past. Also ask them for the exact problem because if the piston hit the cylinder head then the piston might be also damaged and it would be better to go for engine rebuild.

Also the problem can be as small as a cracked head-gasket which when replaced would cure the slight lack in compression issue. Ask VW for a detailed explanation about the issue.

I think 85k for head is too high, don't know if the new engines have some complex alloys / AL head but the pricing of head gasket in swift (old one) is around 45k with labour.

I think your car has suffered through a lack of cylinder compression , Do you feel that the power has trailed off in recent past. Also ask them for the exact problem because if the piston hit the cylinder head then the piston might be also damaged and it would be better to go for engine rebuild.

Also the problem can be as small as a cracked head-gasket which when replaced would cure the slight lack in compression issue. Ask VW for a detailed explanation about the issue.

Thank you rssh, for your guidance.

I am raising my problem to VW India & Germany as well.

The exact part to be replaced was stated as "Head Kit".

To me this seems a "poor quality of product" that was delivered, which caused an Engine problem within 3 years of pruchase. I have had Maruti 800 & Zen running for 10+ years before I purchased VW Polo. There were problems in Maruti cars but not within 3 years of purchase :(