dinakaranonline

Would you recommend Polo for a first timer?

This is my first post and like many others are looking for a car to buy. I have made extensive research on many of the cars available in the market. Of all the cars that i have seen , the  only car that impressed me is the VW Polo Diesel  Comfort Line - i simply loved the way how the car is built in totality and even test drove it . I found it pretty easy to handle. I test drived Punto,Figo,Fabia. No other car won my heart like the Polo did. Also I know Polo comes with a premium and many niceties missing - ABS/Airbags etc . I can live with it.

I'm a first time car owner and wanted to know if there would be any major common issues in owning the car. I will be going for the zero depreciation bumper to bumper insurance to cover up for any accidents encountered and any excess amount i can live with it .

My usage will be pretty much on the city and max speed will be around 80 even in high ways.

So now my question is : Is there common problems that is happening in Polo across many owners that anybody is aware about ? I'm OK with one off incidents where in people didnt  get good service .

sgiitk2011-07-08 04:06:23

Thank you ' date=' will go through this .

Welcome to the forum, on a forum you have no salutations and sign offs. Also, please introduce yourself in the appropriate section.

Sorry abt these , will get it corrected going forward.

Cheers,

Dinakaran

Hi Bala ,

Thanks for the info. I too read some where a facelift is provided with better blue tooth enabled music system and controls on the steering . But not sure if it was for the vento or polo.

Blame by ignorance ,a google search didn't help me , hence can you confirm what IIRC is 'If i remember correctly' ?  :)

If the engine change is going to happen , it will be a major facelift and the re-sale value of present cars will go for a toss !!!

Cheers,

Dinakaran

hi polo-D is a good car overall. You can take a call as your first car and it will serve your nerves better, as you love it. There is no common issues complained by the owners. Though the engine is bit lazy, it will not be a major issue, as it is your first car and you do not carry any perception on the basis of your earlier driving experience.

I am not aware of new engine for Polo-D. Even if it will be launched, the current engine will be kept to get the excise benefit. So resale will not be affected much. All the best.

Hi Experts ,

Could you please explain me how much is it essential to have airbag or ABS as an important safety feature taking into consideration that am a new driver and mostly be involved in city driving and very rarely ride on highways and my driving speed wont go beyond 80 kmph (i say with my current biking speed which is mostly kept at 40-50 kmph :-) ) . I very well understand how ABS works but just wanted to check how important would it be in the driving scenario i have mentioned. As i see , most cars running on the roads doesnt have this feature. 

Some of them suggested its a must option and ABS/Airbags comes in high line only with exceeds my budgets and comes to around 8.2 lakhs which i felt is too costly for a hatchback .

Cheers,

Dinakaran

@dinakaranonline  

I too own a Polo though Petrol. This is the car you can buy without any second thought. Once you sit inside a Polo, you will even won't like to think about anything else. Afterall its a robust build car with premium feel inside and out. The only difference in these two is engine and everything else is just same across models i.e. TL/CL/HL . You can also see my ownership thread , i have put a lot of information and experience here:

One thing i can say for sure after using it for 4 months that its a great product and first of its kind in Indian market . My best wishes for your purchase.

thanks for the reply' date=' yes i read thro' the ownership report . looks to be a fab deal with people get AMC for diesel as well :) keeping fingers crossed so that i can pay the money upgright and can have a peace of mind for next 3 years.

Cheers,
Dinakaran
[/quote'] Though the AMC is not available for TDI as of now but likely to come soon. And if you buy a Polo Petrol 1.2 than there is an offer of Free 3 year AMC till July 21,2011.

***EDIT***As far as your query regarding ABS is concerned , the Polo without ABS is as good as ABS of some indian cars and the braking is excellent. I too have a non-ABS trendline only. I would suggest you to either buy a TL or HL . No Comfortline as it only has two features seat hight adjustment and rear power window and body colour door handle + ORVM, that does not justify the price difference.
ashikawa2011-07-08 08:31:54

I was looking for seat height adjustment as im mere a 5.6 inches and it could complete the package with all power windows ' date=' rear parcel tray etc. I guess the difference between TL and  CL is 60K . I'm concerned abt the road visibility for my height.

[/quote'] Actually when i decided to buy Trendline , I first told the sales person to put the seat at the lowest and then i test driven the car. As there was no trouble,i finalised it. I am around 170-172 cms. in height and you may be 167-168 cms. so check according to your comfort. Another thing my experience is that if you driven any car before than its no issue. But if you are a first timer  then please check it. Also see that how much difference it makes when you keep the seat on highest position.

Secondly i was never interested in rear power window as i wanted atleast rear window's to be manual so in case of emergency i can open it manually. However front power windows are a compulsory requirement.

Secondly i was never interested in rear power window as i wanted atleast rear window's to be manual so in case of emergency i can open it manually. However front power windows are a compulsory requirement.

I second this thinking..All the best.

interesting thought @ashikawa @nikvint . But i just felt that car without power windows makes it look primitive. Agree to the fact it is  'nice to have feature' rather than being an essential feature !!! So barring the rear power windows , i think i need to check for the default seat height adjustment and do a test drive to see how it works for me. 

@Dinakaran:

In my views Polo 1.2 is a perfect choice for any first time buyer,reasons are simple:-

The car is great to drive,good at comfort levels and really gives what is promised.But yes,go on for only fully loaded top end variant which comes equipped with ABS and Airbags and many other goodies+Since you are the first time buyer,so some more tips:-

Seatbelts are not cosmetics,they are safety.So always tie them.

Never over-speed in cities,if uncontrollable then find an empty stretch of highway(both the problems are solved)

Buying a car is not enough,it requires even more care.

RESPECT EVEN THE CYCLISTS ON THE ROADS,THIS WILL RESULT IN HAPPY MILE MUNCHING(this point I have mentioned because I have seen that after sitting in their own cars most of the people think themselves road owners,even I too did it and I accept it).

I know that I needed not to mention the above points,but still I mention it to everyone known to me at their first buys.

Only I'd say that the 1.6 one is not for newbies,reason is that the newbies,due to lack of experience and more power in hand go out of mind after they press the accelerator(I do it even after an experience of over 1 lac kms),and this car bites on doing so.

Yeah, why not a Polo for a first timer ?

As long a buyer is interested in a good product, and is willing to pay the price for that, I see nothing wrong in suggesting such a product to him/her. The only advice from my side would be : do not compare the servicing costs or the reach of other brands. If you choose a specific brand and a specific product, stick to the set of rigidities that go with the product. You can not expect a Maruti-reach or a Maruti-cost for a VW-service.

And, I see nothing wrong for a new comer to get such a good car. Now a days, any entry level hatch is a good car to start your motoring with. And, Polo is certianly a much better car than many in the lot. All the best dear.

There was a time in the not so distant past when car buying was 'hierarchial'; things have changed now, now some sedans cost as much as hatchbacks and some hatchbacks cost as much as some sedans (matter of affordability and convenience). Now it doesn't matter whether you are a first time buyer or not, all that matters is whether you like what you see and drive, if you can afford it go for it. M800 (first time car buyer's dream) is history so go ahead and get yourself that Polo. There are quiet a few Polo owners, here, who can advise you along the way.

ABS is very essential .. Its not about how fast you drive but the manuvering capabilities that you get with ABS on-board that is more important.

Its a safety feature thats a must in any car one wants to own.

That coupled with seat belts and safe driving can be the best solution.

Should give you its advangates.

Airbags are also v.important but I'm biased towards it

@Sham:

+1,even my Swift vxi was sold with just 7200km on odo only because it had no ABS and it kissed a motorbike on the highway by skidding the hell out of her nose.

After that ABS is a must for me and I believe that government must make it mandatory for every car.

Now all three of my cars are ABS and airbags equipped,even my friends,cousins etc were made to buy ABS and airbags equipped cars by me.

Why ABS and airbags?

Its our safety which is in our hand.Then why compromise on it for a some thousands?

My experience says that ABS made me skip deadly situations even at 150kph+ speeds,I simply brake hard and turn my steering and a clean sweep is done and seatbelts and airbags are also equally important.

Lets get back to Polo,as mentioned by Ashikawa,non-ABS Polo also has fantastic braking,but still I'd say that it has fantastic braking but how about getting beyond fantastic?

Pardon the Turbo lag, the Polo is a very good car with Class best interiors, quality & fuel efficiency. 

Heard that VW is also readiying 1.5, 4-cylinder engine for Polo but there's no official info on its launch yet.

I was looking for seat height adjustment as im mere a 5.6 inches and it could complete the package with all power windows ' date=' rear parcel tray etc. I guess the difference between TL and  CL is 60K . I'm concerned abt the road visibility for my height.
[/quote']

Even I'm of same height & checked out the Polo extensively.

Driver's Seat of Trendline Polo is already adjusted to a level suitable to the height of an Average sized Indian.

Rest Door Handles & ORVMs can be painted in original paint by VW dealers itself in Rs.4000 only.

Genuine Parcel Shelf for VW Polo is available at Rs.1200 only.

So think twice & try to check it out once before signing off a cheque.

@Dinakaran:

In my views Polo 1.2 is a perfect choice for any first time buyer' date='reasons are simple:-

The car is great to drive,good at comfort levels and really gives what is promised.But yes,go on for only fully loaded top end variant which comes equipped with ABS and Airbags and many other goodies+Since you are the first time buyer,so some more tips:-

Seatbelts are not cosmetics,they are safety.So always tie them.

Never over-speed in cities,if uncontrollable then find an empty stretch of highway(both the problems are solved)

Buying a car is not enough,it requires even more care.

RESPECT EVEN THE CYCLISTS ON THE ROADS,THIS WILL RESULT IN HAPPY MILE MUNCHING(this point I have mentioned because I have seen that after sitting in their own cars most of the people think themselves road owners,even I too did it and I accept it).

I know that I needed not to mention the above points,but still I mention it to everyone known to me at their first buys.

Only I'd say that the 1.6 one is not for newbies,reason is that the newbies,due to lack of experience and more power in hand go out of mind after they press the accelerator(I do it even after an experience of over 1 lac kms),and this car bites on doing so. [/quote']

Hi Vipul ,

Thanks for the tips , its worth mention abt giving their due importance to cyclists as well. Full loaded Polo Diesel is overshooting my budget more than 1 lakh.As such , many people have advised against me not to buy a 3 cyinder , less refined car with loads of niceties at 8 lakhs .Hence i'm in double mind with also the news of a 1.5 engine for Polo.

It leaves me thinkign again whether its a good decision to go for high line or skip the most essential safefy feature of ABS/airbag.

Cheers,

Dinakaran.S

Yeah' date=' why not a Polo for a first timer ?

As long a buyer is interested in a good product, and is willing to pay the price for that, I see nothing wrong in suggesting such a product to him/her. The only advice from my side would be : do not compare the servicing costs or the reach of other brands. If you choose a specific brand and a specific product, stick to the set of rigidities that go with the product. You can not expect a Maruti-reach or a Maruti-cost for a VW-service.

And, I see nothing wrong for a new comer to get such a good car. Now a days, any entry level hatch is a good car to start your motoring with. And, Polo is certianly a much better car than many in the lot. All the best dear.[/quote']

There was a time in the not so distant past when car buying was 'hierarchial'; things have changed now' date=' now some sedans cost as much as hatchbacks and some hatchbacks cost as much as some sedans (matter of affordability and convenience). Now it doesn't matter whether you are a first time buyer or not, all that matters is whether you like what you see and drive, if you can afford it go for it. M800 (first time car buyer's dream) is history so go ahead and get yourself that Polo. There are quiet a few Polo owners, here, who can advise you along the way.

[/quote']

Hi Ramesh , Durango,

I just wanted to ensure cost of ownership doesnt overshoot to

unacceptable propositions . VW is a new brand and am a first time car

buyer and hence am scared about the maintainence and servicing costs.

Also with news of 1.5 engine for Polo gives me fear of this 1.2 getting

outdated.

ABS is very essential .. Its not about how fast you drive but the manuvering capabilities that you get with ABS on-board that is more important.

Its a safety feature thats a must in any car one wants to own.

That coupled with seat belts and safe driving can be the best solution.

Should give you its advangates.

Airbags are also v.important but I'm biased towards it

Hi Sham ,

This is exactly my problem. ABS/Airbag are definitely helpful but my question is more on how much of risk it is without them  provided the higher speed i can reach at any point is 80 kmph and car will be mostly used  in city traffic . I cant afford for a diesel high line as it crosses 8 lakh budget easily.

Cheers,

Dinakaran.S

@dinakaranonline:

.... my question is more on how much of risk it is without them provided the higher speed i can reach at any point is 80 kmph and car will be mostly used in city traffic ....

==========

wrt the above, I personally feel that ABS/Airbag is not exactly essential, if you are a careful driver who does not venture out of city. While for in-city driving the speed of 80kmpl itself is very high, high-way driving usually demands speeds of 100+ for many drivers. In city-driving, I see not much use for ABS or Airbags so as to make a significant difference to your safety. I have been driving for the last 32 years and never felt the need for these two. I am a careful driver and I have had four cars so far (one Premier Padmini, one Omni, one Esteem and one Xylo), all without ABS or Airbags. It's good to have them if you can afford them. But, it is equally good if you do not have them. The only difference is that you should be more careful and avoid speeding. So, I personally opine that you need not worry about not having ABS or airbags. Also remember that having these two (and a lot of such other latest technological assists) does not ensure total safety either. And, it is only the driver who matter the most and not the type/make/model of the machine.   All the best.

@dinakaranonline:

.... my question is more on how much of risk it is without them provided the higher speed i can reach at any point is 80 kmph and car will be mostly used in city traffic ....

==========

wrt the above' date=' I personally feel that ABS/Airbag is not exactly essential, if you are a careful driver who does not venture out of city. While for in-city driving the speed of 80kmpl itself is very high, high-way driving usually demands speeds of 100+ for many drivers. In city-driving, I see not much use for ABS or Airbags so as to make a significant difference to your safety. I have been driving for the last 32 years and never felt the need for these two. I am a careful driver and I have had four cars so far (one Premier Padmini, one Omni, one Esteem and one Xylo), all without ABS or Airbags. It's good to have them if you can afford them. But, it is equally good if you do not have them. The only difference is that you should be more careful and avoid speeding. So, I personally opine that you need not worry about not having ABS or airbags. Also remember that having these two (and a lot of such other latest technological assists) does not ensure total safety either. And, it is only the driver who matter the most and not the type/make/model of the machine.   All the best.[/quote']

this is the same lines in which i was also thinking . people have been driving these cars for such a long time but still without ABS/Airbags . Hence am cynical about going for Airbags/ABS by paying almost a lakh extra  for city driving pre-dominantly .