dinakaranonline

Would you recommend Polo for a first timer?

this is the same lines in which i was also thinking . people have been driving these cars for such a long time but still without ABS/Airbags . Hence am cynical about going for Airbags/ABS by paying almost a lakh extra? for city driving pre-dominantly .

Today's Scenario is very much different my dear.

Cities are now over crowded with cars, bikes & other bigger vehicles & you never know when they jump infront of you.

Similar incident i've seen an hour n half back.

But its the ABS & better braking have saved those cars from colliding with each other.

Imagine what will happen in the future with rapidly increasing traffic.

Either you Drive too sensibly or buy the car equipped with ABS & Airbags as the price quoted by a manufacturer for these goodies is really very small considering what they offer.

Today's Scenario is very much different my dear.

Cities are now over crowded with cars' date=' bikes & other bigger vehicles & you never know when they jump infront of you.

Similar incident i've seen an hour n half back.

But its the ABS & better braking have saved those cars from colliding with each other.

Imagine what will happen in the future with rapidly increasing traffic.

Either you Drive too sensibly or buy the car equipped with ABS & Airbags as the price quoted by a manufacturer for these goodies is really very small considering what they offer.[/quote']

Very valid points . So i wish if all car companies start providing ABS/Airbags safety features in basic model itself or as an optional addon. Now considering the safety features , VW Polo goes into the heavy price tag. Alas , very few people opt for safety features as their main requirement.

Cheers,

D

VW Polo is barely a year old and many owners due to snob  value of VW tend to under report problem.It took nearly 6 years after Skoda set up shop in India for problems regarding A.S.S to appear in public.

Nevertheless VW Polo is worth going for despite high price tag.

Regarding safety . If you think ABS and Airbags are useless in cities I would say think again.However good driver you may be with years of experience , a single moron can cause problem.With rural and semi urban people migrating to large cities you would encounter lot of these people.

Well,I am with Dr Nishu and favor the safety features above all.All three of my cars are ABS and airbags equipped and I have already sold my swift vxi and Safari EX 4X4 only because they don't have ABS.

@Rameshbabu:

You are having far more experience than me but still I a surprised to know that you are against the ABS.I am sure your driving experience is lesser than mine 1.5 lac+ kms.

Actually you are right at your place that ABS is for 100+ speeds,but do tell me that doesn't the emergency situations occur at the speeds lower than that?You are riving a Xylo and that without ABS,this shows that either you drive it at down to earth speeds or if you ever speed it up then you have never ever have seen an emergency situation because I have found that Xylo simply skids the hell out of her nose in case of emergency braking.You are absolutely right that sensible driving does not require ABS and airbags,but its we who are sensible not everyone on the road.Here I mention a situation in which ABS only kept me from accident but others met it(Actually I have seen nearly every kind of emergency situation in my driving experience,so I have many to share):-

Midnight driving,NH-8.I and my father in my i10 I was on the steering with father sleeping on the front seat and the car was doing about 140 kph(at Shahpura near Jaipur)suddenly I saw something white in front of my car and what I saw was a good whit Maruti carrier truck parked in just middle of the road partially covering both the lanes and I had to decide to either take the fast lane and crash into it or get out of both the lanes and risk crashing out of the highway.What I did was simply applying my brakes as hard ans possible and turning my steering so as to increase the distance(zigzag but not straight) and after the speed came down I got out of the highway.I was safe,then I heard a screeching noise with a blast at the end.Came out of my car and found a good black Scorpio crashed into the truck(it was the same Scorpio which I overtook about 10 mins ago at 140 kph)...the ABS effect.

What would have happened if I would have been in a non-ABS i10?It would have been my photograph in the next day newspaper saying "Two dead in a major accident".

@TSiVipul @Golf

I perfectly agree to your points on ABS/Airbags. Hence i have decided to leave Polo and choose Ford Figo Titanium variant with all safety features owing to my budget.

@All

Thanks every body for your inputs. It made me aware abt the various perspectives in which people need to look thro' before purchasing car.

Cheers,

Dinakaran.S

@Dinakaran:

Congrats for decision,the Figo is also ab great car and is simply fabulous to drive.Its a fact that a top end Figo is better than a lower end Polo.

Now get the car soon and share your initial ownership experience with us.

@dinakaran;

Congrats alot for shortlisting a very capable car for you.

Infact its only the Ford car which can make you forget everything while driving & Figo being no exception to this & may be the only reason for Ford for the very optimistic pricing of New Fiesta.

But Figo is worth the every bit of money spent.

Go for it..

We're waiting for the pics of your car & its initial ownership review

This is my first reply on forum/discussion on autocarindia.

I am going to purchase Maruti Suzuki WagonR VXI(ABS)(M) with exchange of Maruti 800 Dec 1996 model, tomorrow.

After very big research of  hatchback cars which under 5-6lacs like Ford Figo(Most award wining car but low height driving) ,Skoda fabia (Nice features but Back seat not folding),Volkswagen Polo(Great performance but less boot/leg space),Hundai i10(Great features in less price,but some thing missing),i20(Best part is Safest car in hatchback 4 wheels disk break with ABS, but little bit costly),Toyota Liva(First time if we look then we got influence of it, but after thinking/observing we got its negative points), Honda jazz(great luxury, but too costly)..etc etc

I some how convince my parents that AC,Music system, Side mirrors operation by electronically, power window etc features are not require as ABS & Airbags. Actually car should be front rear disk break with ABS & not only  driver/passenger(front) airbags but also rear passengers also.

As per dinakaranonline ask about ABS/Airbag & many other answers/quoted/reply on ABS/Airbag.

"very few people opt for safety features as their main requirement." &

TSiVipul share own experience regarding this.

Alas in India safety is not major marketing point but luxury is most.

Now my new 2 question is feature called 'Overdrive', is really in Suzuki engines?

Why many car comparison website shows ABS, EBD, Traction control as a separate feature? 

Now my new 2 question is feature called 'Overdrive'' date=' is really in Suzuki engines?
Why many car comparison website shows ABS, EBD, Traction control as a separate feature? 
[/quote']

1) Overdrive in cars isn't actually a feature instead its a integral part of the Gearbox, as its basically a mechanism that allows an automobile to cruise at sustained speed with reduced engine speed, leading to better fuel economy, lower noise and lower wear or in simple words you can say that If the 5th gear is having Overdrive with it, then it will offer the same Top speed as per its previous(4th gear) but will achieve the same at considerably lower Rpm. i.e say the car achieves 120kmph in 4th gear at 3500 Rpm & in the presence of Overdrive in 5th gear it'll achieve it at 2700-2900 Rpm.

That's the basic function of Overdrive & the latter is usually attached to the final(4th or 5th) gears.

4-Geared Maruti Suzukis (800 & Omni) aren't having Overdrives attached to their Gearboxes but all MS's above Alto are having the same.

2) ABS, EBD & TCS are actually separate terms & systems.

As, ABS is a Anti-lock braking system which prevents the locking up of brakes on sudden panic braking.

EBD is Electronic brake distribution  is an Automobile brake technology that automatically varies the amount of force applied to each of a vehicle's brakes, based on road conditions, speed, loading, etc & these're Always coupled with ABS.

While TCS is a Traction Control system, its a secondary function of the ABS designed to prevent loss of Traction of driven road wheels. When invoked it therefore enhances driver control as throttle input applied is mis-matched to road surface conditions (due to varying factors) being unable to manage applied Torque.

As these are basically meant for Stability of the car & they work in coherency with each other, that's why they're sometimes used together by car companies & its not necessary that these may be present always together.

In cost concious cars, ABS might come alone without being coupled with EBD & TCS.

Anyways, Goodluck for shorlisting a Wagon-R VXi ABS. Its really a very promising car. Do post its pics & its initial ownership review in dedicated thread at Members Area section.