hersh_s1

Finally got my Punto CNG-ed

Rising petrol prices forced me to think time & again to switch to an alternative fuel. I was initially thinking of selling my 1-year Punto & get a diesel instead. But my pocket didn't allow me so as I was to shed 1.5lac extra to meet my needs. Researched thoroughly over the net to find out if someone got his Punto on CNG..But didn't find any. Finally came across a thread on TFI & the guy got his Linea on CNG recently. His feedback was very encouraging & told me that the pick-up has rather improved. He had installed a sequential kit from West Delhi..I inquired for both sequential & conventional & finally stuck with my pocket. Got the kit installed yesterday & feel no difference in pick-up whatsoever. Infact the gear shifting has become smooth in 1st & 2nd gear...I hope my decision give me good results. smiley4.gif

@Harsh:

Thats quite a nice decision in front of selling the great handler car to get a diesel one.

This will give you a far better economy only you will have to compromise on the boot space.

None of my known is having a Punto on CNG,but one has a Palio stile converted to LPG,and the guy is happy with his decision from last two years.

@hersh: did you install Lambda alongwith?

I had gone out with my friend once for his esteem to be converted into CNG.

But then the Dealer asked and insisted to put lambda..which when gets disturbed, needs to be calibrated and that too very few know how to do that..But if you dont install it, putting CNG on RC becomes an issue.

Hi Hersh, is your car still working well? i have purchased punto 2 yrs aho. now i', thinking to convert it into cng. but my service advisor told me if i goes with my decision thn warranty of my car would be laps & it also effect the engine.

pls suggest me abt this. and which cng kit wud be preferable for punto? how much it wud be cost?

thanks...

Harsh, Good to know about you installing CNG on your punto. Could you please share you experience so far how did it worked out so far for you ?

I am planning to install CNG sequential in my punto 1.4, It would be great if you or anyone share their experience of having CNG on their punto. Please share about your CNG kit - Type/Brand/Price.

I have been advised by my authorised fiat service center guy not to install CNG in punto as it hasn't been successful and people are facing lot of problem with it. Just wondering how true is that!

He also suggested that if I get original Maruti CNG kit, it would work well with PUNTO. When i told him i was planning to go for sequential CNG lovato he said NO.

Rising petrol prices forced me to think time & again to switch to an alternative fuel. I was initially thinking of selling my 1-year Punto & get a diesel instead. But my pocket didn't allow me so as I was to shed 1.5lac extra to meet my needs. Researched thoroughly over the net to find out if someone got his Punto on CNG..But didn't find any. Finally came across a thread on TFI & the guy got his Linea on CNG recently. His feedback was very encouraging & told me that the pick-up has rather improved. He had installed a sequential kit from West Delhi..I inquired for both sequential & conventional & finally stuck with my pocket. Got the kit installed yesterday & feel no difference in pick-up whatsoever. Infact the gear shifting has become smooth in 1st & 2nd gear...I hope my decision give me good results. smiley4.gif

Don't worry about what the service centre people tell you about. I have a Fabia 1.2 HTP in friend circle which has a CNG tank and it runs perfectly (I think in Mumbai only his car is CNGed). Get a sequential kit and put the lambda sensor along with it it might be a bit for expensive but the integration will be seamless and better performance than open loop system.

One thing after putting CNG tank people forget is to service the CNG components. You have to service the CNG system as you service your normal car every 6 months.

Also since yours is a 1.4 90HP petrol motor you will not feel even the slightest of power lack. The Punto's suspension is robust and can handle the extra weight of the CNG tank and system easily. Also I don't think you will get a maruti kit in aftermarket because most of the OE kit are the same in aftermarket but Maruti ones are well integrated from the factory.