P_One

Talk to Karun Chandhok - the next Indian F1 hope

KC was on course for his first GP2 win at turkey, when an incident with Nakajima who was following, ended his race. GP2 is just one rung below F1 in the single seater pecking order. however, his pace has impressed F1s big wigs, and its only a matter of time before we see him in an F1 car. come online here and post your queries to the man himself.

hi guys, its great to see more people starting forums and threads on motorsport !! as P_One said, ill try and login and reply to questions and comments as often as i can. im sure you understand that with the season still on it might take a few days longer than youd expect but i will try and come on here as often as i can......cheers !

Hey Karun fantastic stuff - good seeing you here

what a big step, one of the best results(even if it was DNF) for an Indian in international motorsport.

but the best part is that we now know theres a lot more to come from you

youve come a long way as a driver since your last international series

what are the areas where you think youve registered a big improvement ?

Hi Karun,

Fantastic to have you on the forum. How does a GP2 car compare to an A1GP machine? Which is the more difficult car to drive? There are lots of questions for you on this forum. Your answers would add a lot of value to it. Really looking forward to hearing from you

Hey Karun fantastic stuff - good seeing you here

what a big step' date=' one of the best results(even if it was DNF) for an Indian in international motorsport.

but the best part is that we now know theres a lot more to come from you

youve come a long way as a driver since your last international series

what are the areas where you think youve registered a big improvement ?

[/quote']

yea it wouldve been good to have finished the job.... i think we showed that we had the pace to stay there but i guess well have to wait another day for the last 9 laps !!

to answer your question i think the big thing this year is that the gp2 series is a hard championship with very good drivers, very quick cars and very limited testing and practice making it especially hard for new drivers. people dont realise that on a race weekend we only do between 6-9 timed laps of practice to learn the circuit, work out the quali setup and then the race set up so ive really had to up my game on all counts both in the car and out of it to be at a level where we can compete to get in the points. as the season has progressed you learn more and more about the car and the tyres and also of what is expected of you physically and mentally during a weekend and these are all areas which ive had to improve on this year

Hi Karun' date='

Fantastic to have you on the forum. How does a GP2 car compare to an A1GP machine? Which is the more difficult car to drive? There are lots of questions for you on this forum. Your answers would add a lot of value to it. Really looking forward to hearing from you
[/quote']

the GP2 car is very different compared to an A1 car. the GP2 cars on an average circuit length will be about 10 seconds a lap faster than the A1 car, which is a pretty significant amount when you think that at places like monaco or budapest, were only about 4 seconds off the back of the grid F1 teams.

the GP2 car is more powerful with better accelaration ( at the hungaroring, i did a 0 - 100 kmh start of 2.35 seconds !! ) and , the carbon brakes are very good, but the big gains are in aerodynamics. the style required in a gp2 car is in line with the F1, F3, etc whereas the A1 car is heavier and needs a different style. the first few laps i drove the GP2 car really shocked me with the amount of power and the grip in the high speed which is a feeling i last had when i drove a world series car for the first time. guys like lewis, heikki, nico, nelsinho, etc. have proved that it is a car which is serving its purpose well by preparing drivers for f1 better than any other category in recent years....

karun, have you tested the new-spec GP2 chassis yet? with a ban on TC in coming seasons in F1, and the new GP2 car being a significant step forward, do you think it will bridge the gap between F1 and GP2 further?

karun' date=' have you tested the new-spec GP2 chassis yet? with a ban on TC in coming seasons in F1, and the new GP2 car being a significant step forward, do you think it will bridge the gap between F1 and GP2 further? [/quote']

no i havent tested it yet. in fact at the moment gp2s own technical people are doing the tests with nelsinho doing the driving. the teams only get the cars in feb next year because they have to first test the car for a few days and then once thats done they will supply all the teams the new cars on the same day. i think the gap will maybe be a bit closer but they will have to control the gap between f1 and gp2 so that there is a clear defined step between it otherwise people can start entering gp2 chassis with an f1 engine and gearbox !!  

karun' date=' what do you make of A1 Team Indias chances for the coming season?[/quote']

well with narains experience from last season coupled with his f1 experience i think he should be a race winner and a championship contender this season for sure. the A1 car needs a bit of a strange style to drive but now that hes had half a season last year he should be ok. my friend vinit patel is engineering the car and hes very good, so the technical side of things should be ok as well.

hey guys.....thought the following links should interest you....Im a massive motorsport fan and right now obsessed with Gp2 as well.....I think we need to start focussing on the future of motorsport and frankly speaking in my opinion Chandok is the future....Great show in the series so far man.....Were all really proud of you....

Great to see you show maturity about approaching F1 and not going for broke till you are completely ready...Kudos to you dude !!

hello all and thanks to all of you for your good wishes !!

spa was certainly a special weekend for me and everyone in the team. all weekend we were strong and despite a wrong call in quali with the gears we knew we had good pace. the races were fantastic and to win my first race at spa of all places was something else. theres a detailed report on my website www.karunchandhok.com and pics on http://gp2.latphoto.co.uk .

i do hope anyone who missed out will get to watch the replay of the race on Ten Sports at noon this sunday ( the 23rd ) !