S.Gopalarathnam

A choice for 1st car - spark LT booked.

Hi,
Iam planning to buy a car, the first one.
I have come down to choice of Santro Xing GLS or Spark 1.0LT LPG or Spark 1.0LT. The reviews are little and reviews on Chevy Spark that I read in carwale is not so promising, ... When I enquired on the LPG version of the santro xing - santro xing eco GLS, the dealer himself suggested that not to go in for LPG option as the resale value will be reduced. Is it so? A colleague was not sure of the safety of the LPG option.
The chevy dealer however said that LPG is good option and resale value say after 3 years will be 75% if it is maintained in good condition.
I did not like Alto or Alto K10 and have excluded that as a option. Iam not able to come to a decision between santro xing GLS and chevy spark1.0 LT.
1) Which car to go for of the above?
2) Is LPG going to work out good on fuel savings ( I might make around 60kms a day daily and I do have the LPG station enroute) ?
3) Is the trade-off for maintenance spent and/or resale value affected vs the saving on fuel?
Iam very much confused about to go for LPG option or not. Even it is just 10% saving on fuel with no extra cost for maintenance and not affecting resale value in comparison to petrol, I would like to go for LPG option as it is more environment friendly. However I would not go for it, if paying more now and using it on LPG makes the resale value less or have more maintenance cost.

Please tell me a choice and more on the LPG option and how much it costs more for maintenance or how much it reduces resale value and why so (iam not able to understand less resale value)?

Thread moved.
BornFree2011-08-03 13:19:02

Out of the given choices, I would personally go for the Santro, mostly because it is the more popular, spacious probably easier to maintain considering Hyundai's reputation for having a good A.S.S. Although nothing taken away from Spark which is a very decent car.

If the LPG filling station is conveniently located then it shouldn't be a problem for you but the claim by the dealer that the car will retain 75% of its value is completely untrue. There is no possible way, any car would uphold that much value.

From what I have heard, there is extra maintenance involved with LPG cars as the parts need to be thoroughly maintained.

I personally would ask you to look at other more popular options like CNG and Diesel since they are much less of a headache than LPG, possibly can be.

+1 to you Asethi.I am using the santro for the past 9 years without any problem whatsoever.and it is also very comfortable and extremely easy to drive.And it is also very fuel efficient.!smiley4.gif

It has to be SANTRO all the way, peace of mind guaranteed & one thing is for sure you may opt for either variants (CNG or LPG), A.S.S & re-sale of a Hyundai will always supersede a GM.

Is beat too available in LPG?

if yes,then it is really better to get a lpg fitted beat as compared to a santro because it performs better on lpg just like spark.

Else my opinion will also be same as others..STRICTLY SANTRO.

cant you include i10 in your list..

@S.Gopalarathnam

You can very well buy a Santro. But still i want to say that the Santro is a age old car whereas Chevy spark is a modern car with all the necessary equipment such as ABS/Airbags etc.Cost of ownership will also be same as santro.As far as reviews are concerned , better you test drive both and choose what you yourself like. This is the present time only when new cars are subjected to such reviews etc. Before that people were blindly buying either Maruti or Hundai. If these age old cars are reviewed today, it will even not earn 2 on a 5 point scale.

If you can want to settle down on a car without safety features than you can also consider Beat Diesel(LS/PS). Which will be more economic to drive in addition to enjoyment of owning a present day's car.ashikawa2011-08-03 15:28:51

You can go for spark with your eyes closed. Few of the reasons being

1. Advanced sequencial kit, which ensures no drop in power

2. Better space management

3. Best ride in its segment

4. Better handling

5. Better FE

6. cheaper

7. 3 yrs zero maintainance

8. Newer car

9. Nice equipment list and better interiors

PS - I own a spark and am very happy with it.

@Gopalarathnam

Since you are in Chennai, I suggest that you go for Santro, if you like it.  It is built stronger than a Spark.  May be Spark looks sleek and stylish, Santro is better suited for a first time car buyer.  Since the Hyundai is based in Chennai, you can be sure of their service and technical support for a fairly long time.  This is not to discount the support from Chevrolet.  

This is my personal opinion.  I do not own either of these (or any hatchback).

Thanks for the feedbacks. Although there had been a choice based opinion, there had not been a comparison on the resale value or average maintenance cost or technical of the engine, other things in more detail.

Can the owners of these cars please give this info as how much they had spent on maintenance for 3 years and kms made, please.

One thing is sure - chevy spark is a comfortable 4 seater and xing is a comfortable 5 seater. Iam ok for comfort 4 seater.

Also there is not much info on the LPG option. It will be very helpful to make a decision. As I said earlier, I do care for environment and Iam ok that if at end of 3 years I did save just 10k. i.e, (fuel savings made - (on top of extra cost recovered ~25k + extra maintenance cost) = 10k ) with no reduction in resale value of same car without LPG. Will it be possible or not?

More info on usage.

I will drive almost daily 60kms, occasionally in a weekend in a month may make 200kms on highways. Of the 60kms in city that I will make daily, 24kms will be a tolled highway with possibility to go upto 100km/h speed easily. There is only LPG in chennai, no CNG. Diesel cars costs atleast 1 lakh more and is not a good option.

Giving some more details of the offers that I have for both (the petrol version, the LPG options of the both are more by around 25k).

August 2011 offer after discounts available.

Santro GLS - on road price Rs.4,23,000 for a color of my choice or 7000/= less for white.

Additional free accessories - sun film alone. A remote lock can be demanded and got.

Chevrolet Spark 1.0 LT - on Road Price Rs. 4,03,000 for certain colors (a blue being a favourite) and 6000 less for black, red. (excludes the 0% maintenance guarantee - costs 15,000 as option)

Rear seat power windows, Rear Anti-fog is a notable extra feature in Spark 1.0 LT.

Extra free accessories - body cover, remote lock, sun film, seat cover.

Reading on technicals, the suspension (gas) in spark seemed to be better one, but I do not know if really it is. 995cc spark vs 1085cc xing gls. santro will have more power for sure.

still undecided and more confused........ I want to make a decision by next weekend max.... Please help with you expert comparisons with technical facts and experience facts like mileage, cost of maintenance, resale value (after 3 years).

@S.Gopalarathnam

My uncle ownes spark for last 2 years. He has driven almost 20K+ . No problems yet. He was a maruti loyalist before buying spark. He owned 800 and Wagon R both new and 8-10 years each. This car is way better than Maruti / Hundai's. The day you posted your first post i was searching this thing for you in my computer. Posting here review of Spark by zigwheels.

VVYLyl.jpg

A8qhal.jpg

Wish you best of luck with your new buy.

@Gopalarathnam

Why don't you look out for the new Beat diesel. I think this would still be a value for money, more-so that you would be travelling 60kms daily, it will be light on your pocket. Also with the 3years comprehensive warranty coverage from Chevy is gr8.

@S.Gopalarathnam

If you are looking for CNG/LPG powered vehicles better go for Maruti cars. There kit is touted amongst the best with no drop in power. Also they save up on precious space in boot. Both Estilo and Wagon R come with LPG kits

@S.Gopalarathnam

Also they save up on precious space in boot.

Both spark and beat also comes with the same design of kit. Any way both design kill the boot space in some way.

Both spark and beat also comes with the same design of kit. Any way both design kill the boot space in some way.

No, Maruti has some unique iGPI technology, which is touted as very good with car performing to 95% of its petrol power as compared to 80% in others. Also kits in Spark and Santro are added on after the car has been made, while the kit in Wagon R is built into the car in the factory line itself, thereby saving more space.20110804_105944_Screenshot.png

Also kits in Spark and Santro are added on after the car has been made' date=' while the kit in Wagon R is built into the car in the factory line itself, thereby saving more space.[/quote'] As far as LPG kits are concerned both Spark and Beat comes with factory fitted kits housed in place of spare tyre. Maruti does the same way, So as far as saving of space is concerned both companies qualify in this. See the picture.

SparkH6cKL.jpg

Beatb5naB.jpg
ashikawa2011-08-04 11:39:27

Can the owners of these cars please give this info as how much they had spent on maintenance for 3 years and kms made' date=' please. [/quote']

Total expense from my side should be around Rs 200 including tips on delivery. Our cutie has done 42k kms and nearing her 3rd B'Day.

The ride 'n handling of this car can be compared to car of few segment higher. This car is no compare for a santro. I have a Swift too, barring spirited driving, I would choose Spark for everything over a Swift.

No' date=' Maruti has some unique iGPI technology, which is touted as very good with car performing to 95% of its petrol power as compared to 80% in others.[/quote'] 

Nothing but ECU set up for CNG n petrol. You get the same thing in sequential kits. 

Also kits in Spark and Santro are added on after the car has been made' date=' while the kit in Wagon R is built into the car in the factory line itself, thereby saving more space.[/quote']

Yes for CNG kit needs to be fitted from a cng dealer. If i where you i would have gone for Chevy Uva, you can get great discounts on it.

For 60kms daily, LPG fuelled vehicle does makes a difference in saving costs.

3-4 years of Ownership costs will save enough for you to overlook its Re-sale value but retaining it after 4-years will not be as convenient & pleasing as exclusively Petrol car, as due to the Corrosive-Wear n tear effects of Gaseous fuel on engine & particularly affected Rear Suspension.

So for 4+ years ownership seriously do consider a Petrol car, even 8-10 years span is a comfortable span for good petrol car especially Japaneese one.

So, my advise is for MS Wagon R VXi, then comes the Spark LT. 

Thanks to everyone. I have booked a chevy Spark LT
Congratulations. You have selected the most cute car in india. Wish you thousands of happy miles. Do post your ownership report in readers test team section with lot of pics of your little wonder.

Congratulations alot S.Gopal for booking a New Spark LT. smiley32.gif

Which colour you've booked & when're you getting its delivery !

Do share its set of pics & initial ownership experience after getting its delivery.