visanj

Ritz Suspension: Good or Bad?

Hi

I need a small clarification regarding Ritz suspension. I am getting mixed reviews. In many reviews including autocar I can see that Ritz suspension is soft and absorbs pothole and other patches easily but in team-bhp forums I can see that Ritz has bumpy ride quality

Could anyone in this forum please clarify whether Ritz has good ride quality or not?

Thanks
Visanj

Thread moved.
BornFree2011-10-29 15:43:40

The suspension of Ritz/Swift can best be described as OK. Its not that bad as many describes but never good. If ride is your primary requirment, you need to move towards Fiat. Even Figo is good, but since you want better suspension, I can understand the road condition of yours. Figo easily bottoms out, so its not a car for bad roads. The other option with a very good ride is Beat.

With your budget of Ritz, I can advice you to pick a good featured Diesel Beat.

As you said Beat is better than Ritz in terms of suspension but Maruti's ASS is leagues ahead of Chevrolet and thats the reason I'm more inclined towards Ritz or any other car in Maruti Stable

Check out the New Swift then after its launch on 17th of August2011, as its going to be featured with RBSS(Rally based Suspension Setup) which is supposed to be having the specific Stiffness & Torsional rigidity to stablize the Directional inputs.

So better advice is to check it out once after its launch.

@Visanj:I am using RITZ VXI for past 2 years and never felt that suspension is not good enough for the car.RITZ suspension is soft compare to Swift because Maruti engineers has tuned its suspension for more ride comfort so they have comprimised in handling dept. Swift is better in handling dept.

In case you are planning to buy hatchback ,as  suggested by DR  wait for one more week for taking TD of new swift then you can decide.We all  expecting that New swift will be the most perfect hatch back in India.As an owner of RITZ i can guarantee you that RITZ suspension is one of the best among  its segment.
sanjithchandran2011-08-10 13:51:59

@sanjithchandran: Thanks for your feedback. Could you please elaborate more on ride comfort? I mean how's the suspension over sharp speed breakers, deep potholes etc. Today I had a test drive of Ritz ZXI and I felt all potholes,sharp bumps etc. I'm not sure if thats due to the car's poor condition.

Do you have any idea if its better than new Wagon R?

@visanj: The questions you are asking are highly subjective. You will feel potholes and bumps, don't expect a magic carpet ride from the hatch. All the soft setup does is soften the impact so it doesn't crash through minor flaws of the road, but deep potholes/speed breakers taken at speed cause jolt's, being a tall boy it's also prone to be disturbed by crosswinds on a highway. Besides these I don't think there are any major flaws, if you are not satisfied TD other hatchbacks too and come to a conclusion.

One of my cousin is also having Ritz ZXi & he's very satisfied with the Overall performance of the car. I've also driven it many time on everytype of Roads & conditions.

From that experience I can conclude that Its having Superb but l'll bit Softly tuned Suspension, especially its Rear Suspension which tends to bottom out easily with 2-3 passengers at Rear Seat  alongwith adequately loaded boot, but its where its High Ground Clearance actually comes into action & saves it from hitting the Speedbrakers.

Overall, Its Suspension is more Comfort-oriented & is better suited for Smooth or not so Uneven roads.

Wagon-R's Suspension is also good but it has its own set of limitations(like Small wheels & Narrow dimensions) over Ritz.

P.S to visanj: If you've finalised Ritz then look No further & Simply go for it.

Its having all aspects correct at the Practical/reality levels. 

Post-purchase you won't regret our Suggestion & your decision.

Thanks for all of your inputs

I will try to test drive Ritz from some other dealer. After all of your inputs I  feel that the car which they gave for test drive was not in a good condition.

We can not judge cars by only just test drive because Test drives cars may not be in a good shape and it meant for only for just getting the feel of car.And again Wagor R and Ritz are in different segment you can feel the difference while driving.As doctor said with 3 passengers in rear seat there is a chance to hit speed breaker.but we have some techniques to tackle these speed breakers by driving over speed breaker little bit wider or drive in all most nill speed.I find Jazz is more prone to hit speed breaker with rear paasenger because of its low ground clearance and long wheel base.So practically i never find much difficulty to drive Ritz over rough terrain.Once i have taken RITZ for touring interiors of Himachal pradesh during rainy season.Road was full of mud,rocks beacuse of land sliding.She has not given any trouble during 900 kms journey.

I have seen only SUVs are driving over potholes and speed breakers better than hatch backs.Even Merc and BMW sedans will drive slowers than Hatch backs over rough terrains.I hope RITZ will get new Swift's 2430 mm wheel base in future which will give more riding comfort.

I have some tech write up of RITZ's suspension by Maruti's chief design engineer of RITZ project.If you want i can scan it and send to you by email.

@sanjithchandran: Thanks for your inputs. I actually had i10 6 months back but sold it mainly because of the bumpy ride. I got back pain because of i10's bumpy ride. So I want to buy some hatchback with best/plush ride quality. Also I want a a car with traffic friendly character (tall boy designs usually have)...so I thought Ritz would be a good choice

i10 is better than Ritz in heavy traffic beacuase of its light steering but Ritz score better in terms of ride comfort.But dont expect too much difference between i 10 and Ritz.I do not where you are having these much bumpy drive roads,but i feel you should look for SUV atleast Mini xylo which is coming end of this year.

I'm from chennai and my way to office is completely damaged. Further you can find speed breaker for every 50 mts. It will be the worst route but I don't have any other choice. Is indica vista equally reliable compared to Ritz? Because I can lot of positive reviews regarding Vista's suspension. I need to go for a test drive though.

Durango Dude2011-08-11 01:43:12

@Visanj:

Ritz suspension in my views is on the satisfactory side,there is no car in the world which can absorb every bump on the road but if you want a better ride quality then simply go for a PUNTO.In my views it sets the benchmark for ride and handling.

About Indica Vista,I'd say that it too has a good suspension and really absorbs the potholes quite well but I don't fel it as reliable as Ritz and also the lighter kerb weight of Ritz is also an advantage considering the handling front.

Since road to your office is one-hell of the roads in India,so Indica Vista will be felt better there or a Punto can do for you.

As Vipul said take test drive of any new RITZ,Punto and Vista then decide.All these cars are having pros and cons.So study well before buying.I have considered these 2 cars seriously before buying RITZ.The pre sales and After sales service of Punto and Vista is still a question mark.Then performance,FE of its petrol motor, then price has made to me buy Ritz.Even Diesel Punto also very costly compare to Ritz.You will feel big difference in driving between Ritz and Vista.Since you owned i10 , i do not want to tell you about resale value factor.Just comapre these cars in terms of Ride comfort,Handling,Engine Power,Performance,Fuel efficiency,after sale service,Value for Money,Resale value etc before buying your next car. 

One world is that the suspension is pretty average . It won't give the kick in the ass feel which most Hyundai hatchbacks give while going over pot hole but it neither gives a supple ride . Its best to sit in the front seats on the Ritz for best confort . The Fabia and Punto have the best suspension in Indian hatchbacks today. They aren't very harsh and neither very soft (bouncy - good damper)

Even I'm looking for a car with similar requirements

Though ride quality is my priority, Reliability and ASS is more important as well. In that case I have options like Jazz, Ritz, Polo and Swift

Regarding Ritz, I use to drive my friend's Ritz LDI but I find ride quality not that good. Its 'ok' type.

Can anyone tell me if Ritz petrol has better ride quality than Ritz LDI because of stiff suspension in LDI due to diesel engine?

Also I heard that tyre pressure is an important criteria in ride quality particularly in Ritz. My friend in his LDI use to keep 33psi though I heard recommended is 29psi.

Can anyone tell me if we keep 29psi then will there be any significant difference in ride quality?

Almost all car's front seats are better than rear seat. And especially with shorter wheel base (under 2500mm ) we can not expect that hatchbacks will offer supreb ride quality for rear seat passengers. Rear seat passengers are sitting just above rear tyres and may feel the bouncy ride while driving on rough roads.

I own Ritz VXi for past 2 1/2 years and not felt its ride quality is poor compare to other cars in its segment. I agree that its suspension has been build for City conditions for giving better ride quality and Swift's stiff suspension is better in  rough  roads.

Almost all cars in this segment have rear suspension as Non-Independent,torsion beam suspensions.Only difference is Manufacturers tune the suspension according to the need of ride quality and Handling.

We are not buying car only for looking its ride comfort. We have to consider many parameters like Reliability,Fuel economy,Spare parts price, resale value,Overall product quality,interior space, Exterior looks,Service network etc.

If you are looking for car with best ride comfort go for Jazz and its 2500 mm wheel base and suspensions are best in this segment. Its ground clearance is only 160 mm so you have to be very careful while driving over potholes and speed breakers.

Be stick on OEM recommended Tyre pressure of 33 PSi .29 PSi may be enough if you are travelling alone.But with 4-5 passengers it may not be enough and it will weaken your suspension,reduce tyre life, reduce fuel economy etc.

Past 3 months i am filling nitrogen in my tyres but always maintaining the pressure as 33 Psi. I felt with nitrogen ride quality and fuel efficient (1-2 kmpl) has improved.

I can say it is good and bad too

Some times it looks good and probably when It is loaded full with 5 people and with 36/33 tyre pressure front and rear

It is not good only I am there in the car where it is with correct tyre pressure suggested by the company where it is very bumpy and you can feel thad sound with every path hole

So fanally I say that it is not that smooth, but at the same time at speed breakers its very good than any other cars

SO kabhi kushi kabhi ghum

@gurrala74, Even I feel the same with Ritz but its quiet bumpy even in speed breakers just like i10. Even Brio feels the same but not the case with new swift. Ride quality is pretty good. Due to financial situation I am planning to buy car after 2 to 3 months. Probably by that time, we can see Ritz facelift. I hope they improve the suspension

@Visanj

I fully agree with you, yes swift ride quality is good, but as you said Ritz suspension is stiff purposefully as it is a tall boy design. except this bumpy drive Ritz scores in all other departments like its huge space like sedan and driver seat position and comfort, so I still feel I made good choice and happy with its FE too

@forum admin/moderator, whenever I post a reply these days I get the following error and also I do not get a reply notification to my mail these days when I participated in a forum topic, please advise

Server Error in Forum Application

An error has occured while sending an email.

Please contact the forum administrator.

Support Error Code:- err_SQLServer_send_mail_footer

File Name:- functions_send_mail.asp

Error details:-

The message could not be sent to the SMTP server. The transport error code was 0x80040217. The server response was not available

Can any budy help me to get resolve my rear suspension problem

1 after installing CNG cylinder in car it has got down from back I changed both shock absorber , one side is down then other side should i  change suspension spring and how much cost it

@Arun gautam it all depends on the brand of car you own. Well! Renewing the spring would help if your older springs have broken otherwise install buffers e.g RogerAB