hummer

Which is a good GPS device

Hi Folks,

I plan to buy a GPS gor my car, I read quite a bit on this topic in various forums , I also borrowed a Garmin Nuvi 715 from a friend and tried using this on my Trip from Bangalore to Calicut- I was not impressed, as this needed to be rebooted multiple times along the way and also did not have the provision to feed in a particualr route I prefer taking. Thought somebody out here may be able to provide me valuable inputs and share your experience on this topic

Thread moved.
BornFree2011-08-21 08:02:30

I think a caska/jvc head unit couple with map my India maps is the ultimate combo for gps needs.

If you have a latest high end phone , you can link that up as well, it functions as good to get you to the destination , in a feed your destination and get back to home fashion.

Read more on this, I think you will get your answers - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/product-discussions/106118-mapmyindia-navigation-review.html

I have been using my MapmyIndia GPS model 140 (a handy 7 inch touch screen, bluetooth, media player with external memory) for the last one year.  It is simply great.  Perfect in almost all respects.  You may now get updated and more recent models.  Have a look at their website and decide.  Go for a trusted brand like MapmyIndia as they are good in the maps.  Finally, for a GPS to be of utmost use to you, it should have the latest maps of maximum number of cities, maximum number of POIs (point of interests), and accurate voice instructions.  Never buy based on hearsay.  Enquire from people who own (and use) them.  I can say that the GPS unit is the best and the first accessory one should have if you travel a lot.  Irrespective of the place, language and the time of the day, you are sure of reaching your destination with a good GPS.  All the best.

Thanks for your advice Ramesh, what I'm concerend about is that I had to reboot the equipment I had borrowed several times as it gave message; "Vehicle off road", does this happen with your GPS as well ? i understand the equipment I had borrowed is abour 2.5 years old. It is useful; no doubt, but I was suggested a route touching certain towns, however there was no provision in this one to enter all the data at one go, I had keep entering the next immediate town, all the time

.. does this happen with your GPS as well ? ...

Never, in the last one year.  Not even once.

You need not enter any data again and again. 

This must be the case of an outdated software.  Probably the hardware must

be good.  Only the latest and updated software needs to be ported on that.

That's precisely what I was referring and suggesting to in my earlier postings.  A good GPS is now-a-days means a trouble-free and user-friendly good glitch-free software with maximum coverage of towns and POIs.   Most of the hardware now-a-days is anyway good and dependable.  It is the software which matters.

And, that is where MapmyIndia wins.   

MapmyIndia Vx 140s:- Touch Screen 4.3" device comes loaded with the All India maps, the device have features like music player, video player. Device also have Bluetooth receiver which help it paired with mobile phone and can be used as hands free while driving available at Rs. 9,990/- inclusive of all taxes. Festive Offer Rs9500

I suggest OBD2 GPS Car Tracker VT200 ,

It is simple Plug and Play Car Tracking Device, with plug and play functionality, it can easily be installed in your car without any assistance of a technician. Its features such as history playback enable you to view the location history of your car

This OBD2 Tracker can do real-time GPS tracking of your car. It has the functions of moving test, mileage tracker, abnormal alarm, dead zone supplement, remote upgrade, and internal 3-axis accelerometer for motion detection and driving behavior analysis, making

it the best Car GPS Tracker in this range.