sham

Headlights underpowered , Needed advice

Hi guys..

I own a punto 1.3MJT off-late I did a lot of night driving and also while it was raining.

I've noticed that i'm not too confident with the beam my lamps put out. I'm not sure what needs to be done ..

Because of this issue I somehow manage to use the high beam and turn it off the moment i see oncoming traffic but i dont want to do this juggling act anymore.

I have 2 ideas

1.) Fit a higher output lamp

2.) Change the amber lamp completely to a xenon, as I've noticed that it provides a much brighter output.

I've also contemplated installing add on lamps for extra luminosity and use it only during difficult times. But that spoils the look of the car (And there is no front bumper either for punto to put it on.).

I dont want it atop the roof as its going to be a major inconvenience to opposing traffic.

I'd like to know the pros and cons of both these ideas.

Also any other ideas are also welcome.

I've never changed lamps and have no idea about it either.

Can anyone suggest some ideas?

You can upgrade ur headlamp with Bosch/Minda Relay and Philips 90/100 W rally H4 Bulb.Pro is better visibility during rainy and Foggy season than OEM 60/55 W fittings con is this bulb will develop more heat energy and it will reduce the life of your Headlight assembly and even you can notice some sparks on switches.It is always better to stick with OEM fittings but it is not that much problematic in case you are using only 2-3 months in a year.

Some options keeping in mind Rules and safety.

1. Osram nightbreaker plus headlamp. 60/55w stock. Output is more than any stock bulb.

2. Go for HID only if you have fog lamps. HID will create more problems in rains and fogs. So if you have fogs, HID is the way to go.

3. Add Hella lamps in front of bumper.

***EDIT***

4. A  big no-no to higher wattage bulbs.

5. HID should be kept at 4300k to 5000k max.

sb-alto2011-09-15 16:41:08

I was thinking of Hella as well.. But my car does not have a bumper(Punto) and I will have to get it made which will again spoil the look of the car.

I also accept the fact about high wattage bulbs..

hmm what do i do then? :(

If you have fog lamps, then go for HIDs, else get OEM fogs on the bumpers and then go for HIDs.

You can go for HIDs on fogs as well. But that would not povide any benefit in fogs or rains. Lights would be amazing.

+1 to Sb-Alto:

HIDs any day and if your pocket allows you to go on for projectors too then it will work just like icing on the cake and increase your driving pleasure a lot.

If you have the fog lamps then it good and if not,THEN GET THEM INSTALLED EVEN BEFORE HIDs,why?because winter is coming..

Yes my car has fog lamps.. Also If i go in for HID as main lamps the usual amber fog lamps would look odd to say the least , and i understand HID fog lamps would be a waste in foggy conditions(I'm not all show and no go) so i dont want that..

what about the wire burnouts due to HID and things like that.. Are they a common phenomena?

Supposing i change only the head lamps what would be the  cost i should be looking at?

2.) Which are the good brands?

3.) How much would a complete makeover including the fog lamps cost?

Just put a philips rally bulb of 100W along with a relay circuit and you will have better visibility for just 1000 bucks along with reliability. Hid w/o projector is illegal and dangerous for the motorist coming from opposite side of the road.

You are absolutely right rssh.It is really painful to drive when opposite driver keep HID in high beam.I am using philips rally bulb with Minda kit in rainy and foggy season (hardly 3-4 months) remaining 8 months  with 60/55 W phillips stock bulb.

sanjithchandran2011-09-17 11:53:03

1. Ok, for those who say HID w/o projector is illegal, I admit. But your 100/90 is not legal also, and it is not that they do not cause glare. Moreover 100/90 is likely to damage reflectors more by darkening because of the heat. At least 35w HID wont burn reflectors.

Moreover, major good HIDs come with mono filament. They cannot throw high beam until they have motors. For dipper use, HIDs blinks or alternate blinks. Low beam HID is enough. People with good HIDs hardly need high beams. Punto has mono bulb headlamp assembly, so getting normal mono filament HIDs wont be an issue.

2. Second option can be using some high output lamps like Osram Nightbreker plus or Phillips Extreme power. They have higher light output in same wattage, ie 60/55, but life is shorter. Cost will be around Rs1200 and no need of relay.

3. Third option can be installing HID in fogs only whereas keeping headlamps normal(or option 2). In that case you can run with HIDs only and that wont cause glare to others. In case of rains and fogs, you need your headlamp as a substitute.

Good HID brands are Phillips, Osram, P3, P4 and Hella. Prices for H4 can be around Rs 6000-9000 and for H3(fogs) it will be around 3000-5000.

Actually installing HID in fogs is more dangerous because the fog reflector are designed to spread the light beam so the low HID philosophy won't work here. I agree that the 100 watt bulb damage the headlamp reflector and they last for only 5-6 years but you need a compromise somewere . Also with the govt. not providing adequate lighting on the best of the highways you don't have a better choice .

Get a bi xenon projector and HID setup for the Punto if you are ready to spend atleast 12-15 k on it.

Hmm.. I'm still at the same place as where i started...

I still am confused .. I guess I will look at the HID in function and rally lamps in function and decide.

Thank you all

Installing power hungry accessories can be a bit of a challenge.  Here are some things to consider. 

Number one:  never install a higher wattage bulb in the OEM socket...you will fry the harness wiring and melt the switch which is why the warranty will be voided.  When a car is reviewed for service ie: alternator, starter, wiring, etc., they always check the bulb and if it is not OEM they void the warranty.

Number Two:  When installing those miniature suns, make sure they are serviced by an independent wiring harness, switch and breaker.

Number Three:  Upgrade the battery and the alternator...you can even install an extra battery with the appropriate control electronics like boats have.

aaah time is so short and I must lecture this morning so I'll keep it short.  With a stock battery, extended night driving will drive the charge way, way down increasing the demand on the alternator to increase its output.  This will damage the alternator regulator.  Now, since the battery is being drained to a lower charge state, starting amperage will increase from 40a to 60 or more, a lot more which will toast the starter armature.    When one goes, it kills the others so you'll end up having to replace all three.  Many garages will just change a batter but the damage to the starter is already done so a month later  you have to change the starter...but the damage is already done to the alternator...get the picture?  This is called the triangle of death...battery, alternator and starter.  A competent garage will check all three.

By the way, I run enough lights to mimic a stellar supernova.  They are set so I can choose different power levels for varying situations.

Does the Punto have a headlamp leveler? Use it. Since you have fogs you can use them instead of upgrading the bulbs. Or try getting the headlamps focused properly at service center. Use High beams judiciously as you are doing now. Or search the below link for some info.

http://www.fiatforum.com/grande-punto-guides/Durango Dude2011-09-21 01:19:06

You can upgrade ur headlamp with Bosch/Minda Relay and Philips 90/100 W

rally H4 Bulb.Pro is better visibility during rainy and Foggy season

than OEM 60/55 W fittings con is this bulb will develop more heat

energy and it will reduce the life of your Headlight assembly and even

you can notice some sparks on switches.It is always better to stick

with OEM fittings but it is not that much problematic in case you are

using only 2-3 months in a year.

But This is the thing............

yeah.. I accept that now.. If need be I'll just fit a few strap on rally lamps on the front grills..

Hopefully that should not be an issue right? And how much would one cost ?

Phillips Rally H4 90/100 W:Rs.180/Bulb and Minda Relay :Rs.700-750.Better buy Bosch relay. And please go through my previous comment especially the  disadvantages  and make sure that you will use rally 90/100 W only 3-4 months in a year and rest 8-9 months with 60/55 W.

Thank you all ...

when everyone here has suggested to think twice about installing high power lights .. I guess I will stick to the default ones.. Let me get the bulbs re-alligned and check for a few days .. and see if it helps before deciding any further.

Thank you all

My driver feels that the lighting of my verna is not adequate on the highway even in the city we are forced to use high beams due to lack of visibility

I would like to change the bulbs or if possible to white colored ones...

Is it advisable to for xenons?

Please let me know at the earliest

Regards,

Akanksh Chokkapu

I also visited the team bhp forum everyone there is advising Phillips rally 100/90 with relay wiring wont this effect the headlamp reflector and melt and cause blackening and cause permanent damage to the car

Actually that is the obvious advice you will get. Upgrading is a tough job. While, yes 100/90 with relay wont do any damage, it is illegal and cause problem for oncoming traffic.

Else get HIDs for low beams, ie H4 mono and use your fog lamps too.